Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Between pins, what do you guys do?

I also practice at 100 often. Dang right it helps. Don't dog it if you ain't tried it! I've killed numerous deer at 70 to 75 yards. Everyone a FULL pass through. Blowed through both shoulders on a mature doe at 75 yards. I shoot a 80 lb omen pro that chronoed At 365. These new bows get to and have way more knockdown at 70 yards than bows ten years ago did at 45 yards.

Personally, I agree a 70 yard shot at an animal is irresponsible. Think about what a 10 mph cross wind does to a bullet travelling at 2000 fps. Now think about what a 5 mph wind will do to an arrow at 300 fps. How big is a deers vitals? If you feel like you need to shoot at an animal that far away I would ask are you really enjoying the whole experience of hunting or are trying to kill something in order to feel like you accomplished something. Would you shoot at a doe that far away? Just askin

I enjoy every minute of every hunt and am always aware of the wind when I'm ready. I challenge you to come on out west and see how many opportunities you will miss out on because you think 70 yards is too far. I certainly support your right to have your opinion and express it, but don't pass judgement on me or others if you only do one type of hunting. I've hunted both Iowa for archery and out here and they are night and day in how different of the type of hunting you do. And you'd better be prepared for 50+ yard shots if you come out or your chances of filling a tag drop precipitously! Out here, 40-70 yard shots are the norm, not the exception.

Not sure if someone said this but for 25 I hold my 30 pin on the belly line. Same for 35 and 45. My rangefinder says it works atleast.

I enjoy every minute of every hunt and am always aware of the wind when I'm ready. I challenge you to come on out west and see how many opportunities you will miss out on because you think 70 yards is too far. I certainly support your right to have your opinion and express it, but don't pass judgement on me or others if you only do one type of hunting. I've hunted both Iowa for archery and out here and they are night and day in how different of the type of hunting you do. And you'd better be prepared for 50+ yard shots if you come out or your chances of filling a tag drop precipitously! Out here, 40-70 yard shots are the norm, not the exception.
did you just invite me on an archery hunt out west? I'm in!! pm me with the details please.

iabwhntr said:
did you just invite me on an archery hunt out west? I'm in!! pm me with the details please.

That wasn't really an invitation, it was a challenge to learn something new and step outside your comfort zone. I don't invite anyone anywhere who calls me irresponsible for how hard I work and practice with my bow and the kind of ethical hunting I do out here. Open your mind and you could get an invitation, though!

We've hijacked this thread enough and I'm too tired and worn out from chasing elk to get into a back and forth debate about who is more responsible. Let's get it back on topic.

U can't shoot far enough
Lol, its funny 'cause its its true. I read this to my wife and she laughed too!
But Azhunter is right about hijacking this thread. To answer the original question: when I encountered that situation I shot "between the pins".

Last edited:
I have a one pin sight and I practice out to 100 yards weekly, this improves your close range shooting tremendously and also if u wanna shoot them longer shots and u are comfortable then it's handy. There's a lot of ppl that only shoot 20 and 30 yards, and to me that's irresponsible, my wife can shoot pie plate size groups at 50 and I hear about men the cant shoot 30. People need to realize when u practice out to 100 yards then u absolutely can kill deer out to 70 yards comfortably. Unless u guys are shooting old dinosaur bows u should be able to shoot AT LEAST 60 without problems.

I read an article by Randy Ulmer once where he said this excact statement about shooting out to longer distances will make you a better close range shooter.

I practice gap shooting evertime I shoot.

Top Bottom