Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big boy decides to take his girlfriend to the Capitol Building in Des Moines, IA...

157buck

forum

I've been watching this buck since some time in September. He's no giant buck by any means but is definitely impressive, especially for living in the city of Des Moines, IA where he often frequents the Capitol building. I watched this buck chase a poor doe around the parking lots and open grass since 11 P.M. the night before. The picture was taken on October 30th, were he was standing on the West Terrace of the Capitol building in downtown Des Moines, IA. You cannot see the doe, but she is bedded down in the bushes directly below and to the right of the buck in the picture. This doe had a hurt front leg because I watched the buck chase her into a parking lot where she fell. I couldn't believe my eyes when I drove up the Capitol drive at about 5:00 A.M. and saw him standing in the bushes at first. He wasn't moving at all and I was literally parked 12 yd from him. I finally saw a glimpse of her ear in the bushes and realized why he wasn't leaving. I did get out of my car and walked within 8 yd or so to snap this picture. It doesn't look that close but that is all my camera phone would zoom. I realized later that I had my nice digital camera in my bag in the backseat and was shooting myself in the foot for not grabbing it to take an even better picture with him and her in the city background all lit up. This buck even pinned his ears back a time or two and started circling me as he was getting a little angry for me getting close. I did give him his space but did think it was neat for him not getting nervous and somewhat challenging me... This boy was in love and he was not leaving her side. Once in a lifetime picture moment. Never seen anything like this and so close to our own state Capitol building. If you aren't familiar with the layout. The Capitol building is directly behind me and the buck by about 50 yd or so. The west drive as it is called separates the deer and the building. He even pissed on the monument behind him and tore up some of the trees around :) Thought you all might get a kick out of this. I hope the picture shows up, for this is my first time posting a picture. Think I need to get a hold of Larry Zach with this one. Might be another "Big City Bucks" part two in the making... :)

That's pretty crazy! You're lucky he just circled you and didn't charge. You would be a hurtin unit if he had!

wowza!!

Hot damn! Yes please, I would enjoy a crack at a buck of his caliber!

Great story, there are some LARGE bucks lerking in the city limits of Dubuque as well.

Glad to see you are working hard bud :way: Hope you get to your stand soon since I havent heard much out of ya

That's your governors deer, no hunting there and for sure no shooting does. He wants to keep the population up.

Top Bottom