Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big Buck Down anyone have pictures yet?

JOSHBRNDT

I've heard from some reliable sources that there has been a monster shot in south central Iowa. I also heard that a DNR biologist tried to score it and there were too many points for him to do it. I haven't seen pictures but have heard he has a 12 inch base on the right side with 3 drops on the right side. One measuring over 15 inches. By the way it was shot during youth season.

live in central Iowa and haven't heard a thing about it. Odds are just deer gossip!!! pretty soon the poaching card will come out and all that crap

There was a buck posted on AT this morning that rough scored at 240 with a couple drops on it's right side that was shot last night I believe and I think it was taken in SC or SE Iowa. But for the life of me I can't find the thread...maybe the guy deleted it for some reason.

Wow, what a deer! His right side loooks tiny compared to the left, very unique. I wonder what the base measurement on the left beam is?

Incredible! Congrats to the hunter!

It would be hard to feel anything but elated after putting a deer like that on the ground, although, it's unfortunate that his typical frame isn't anymore symetrical than what it is. The side-to-side deductions are really going to hurt that buck's final net score, but those abnormals should make up for that - And then some! :grin: Afterall, it's just a number...

The pictures posted just don't really give you a good angle of the buck's left base, but my best guess would be 9"+.

That is a wild rack! Congrats to the hunter
2thumbs.gif

That is why I strongly dislike net scoring. I am much more interested in the gross score. If they grew it showed be scored!

Incredible! Congrats to the hunter!

It would be hard to feel anything but elated after putting a deer like that on the ground, although, it's unfortunate that his typical frame isn't anymore symetrical than what it is. The side-to-side deductions are really going to hurt that buck's final net score, but those abnormals should make up for that - And then some! :grin: Afterall, it's just a number...

The pictures posted just don't really give you a good angle of the buck's left base, but my best guess would be 9"+.

how in the world does a rack grow that way without getting broke off? be pretty sweet if someone had a trail camera picture of this buck. Crazy buck! congrats to that hunter

That is why I strongly dislike net scoring. I am much more interested in the gross score. If they grew it showed be scored!

Is there truly a flaw in B&C’s scoring system or do bigger numbers simply sound better to the majority of hunters?

We, as humans, possess an inborn trait to create standards to live by. Most are set for us, but some come from within. And like it or not, B&C’s standards were benchmarked in 1950.

Man has always upheld symmetry as a thing of beauty and balance. This undoubtedly was part of B&C’s original motivation for rankings in the typical category. Not to pit trophy hunters against non-trophy hunters or hold “net” scores in higher regard than “gross” scores or vice versa.

Difference of opinion over B&C’s scoring in the non-typical category escalates dramatically. The big question: Why rank abnormal antler growth and deduct side-to-side symmetry differences on the basic frame? Why not allow the buck it's total inches? Should non-typical scores reflect frame deductions or should they be ranked on their total inches?

This dispute over scores is the very reason that the Buckmasters scoring system was created back in the 1980s and is one of the main reasons why
B&C has chosen to list gross score in future publications.

Case in point: Everyone is untitled to their own opinion, and how you choose to recognize an animal's final score is completely up to you.

It is just a number, and regardless what that number might be, I personally wouldn't let that take away any of the significance of the animal or the hunt.

Renegade.. Well written and I agree "Mostly"
I always say it this way.. "If size was all that mattered we'd all be in love with Roseanne"
I do take your reasoning with the Buckmaster scoring system to task though.. It was not created to be a better way.. It was strictly a profit based decision and exploited what some may feel is an inadequacy in the most popular system.
Truth is,, they are all relative.. As long as they are all held to the same standard, very little will change other than the "Bigger number"
Which is only of value for bar room bragging rights, if everyone else big deer is held to a different standard.
Sad to say,, I do think this deer will take a big hit in the lack of symmetry of the normal growth, but probably rightfully so.

Wednesday night, I was in the local bar and my old ag teacher came up to me and showed me a cell phone picture of a giant that was supposedly shot by Sigourney.. He said it apparently was shot by bow and is 280 NT with 30 points or so.. It looked huge in the pic.. Had giant flyers coming off of it's left G2, that was the most significant feature that I can remember... Details are a little fuzzy to me now... Had a little too much to drink that night.. I can't remember what Sims buck from last year scored, but if he was right with the 280 mark on the deer by Sigourney, that would be another new State record, wouldn't it?

Top Bottom