Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big Buck of East Sioux Falls

iw.l_header.jpg
398ibalogo_1_.gif

PMA Memberships & Renewals and IBA Memberships & Renewals

hoofline.gif

Man that is cool, I can only imagine. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Thanks for sharing that article with all of us. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

398IMG_0185.JPG
398ibalogo_1_.gif

PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
[email protected]

It sure would be cool to have the chance to look for those all by yourself. I can't believe someone else never snuck in and tried to find them with all the publicity on it.

Tried to get access to the property that this deer lived for two years but never was able to... With GF&P watching every step that this deer took, there was no way to sneak in... But that is what dreams are for... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I'd just like to hold it and take pic's, of course...

I saw the story and pictures on the news last night.I am amazed that deer still lives with all the publicity it gets. I hope scheels ends up w/ replicas so we can all see what he looked like up close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gundog870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is it true about wet springs causing larger antlers? Don't laugh. I am serious. </div></div>

Absolutely. Bucks primarily need calcium and phosporous at about a 2:1 ratio and also other miscellaneous minerals. Deer get these minerals as the forage for food. Plants draw in water which contains the nutrients the plants need to be healthy growing plants. The more water they uptake the healthier the plant will be. Consequently, bucks that eat from the healthiest plants will also produce the biggest antlers for that particular buck. When you have excelent genetics combined with wet springs/summers and also excellent minerals in the soil then you get monstrous antler growth.

This is why I am a big fan of hunting in floodplains if I can find it available.

Related Info

Wet springs can make a big difference in drier climates like the Dakotas, the West, and Texas. Makes for a quicker green-up and better forage at a time when deer are stressed. If a buck is getting plenty of good nutrition, he can spare more energy for growing antlers.

Wow. That thing is gorgeous. So cool the guy could find both sides /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom