Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

BIG BUCK PROBLEM - 2001

This is an easy one... definitely DO NOT shoot these impaired deer. Email me back and tell me where they are and I will go and shoot them!!

Seriously, a trophy is a trophy and I myself would not get too worked up over the actual scoring. They both sound like mature trophy animals, who cares about the points they score. If you are satisifed with them then that's all that matters. Just MHO.

I shoot the first of the two you get a chance at and have the taxidermist fix the point. The "Book" is great, but not the final word in a true trophy. Take 'em.

There is sure worse problems to have! I shoot the first one I could.

I think the answer depends a lot on where you are in your bowhunting career and on why you hunt. Personally, if I felt the bucks were mature and I had either photographs or video when they had their full racks, I'd think seriously about harvesting one this year. Someone like Tom Sexton can rebuild the missing points so you can not tell the work was done. To me, being out there, hunting a mature buck and trying to take him fair and square is what it is all about. They aren't any less difficult to take just because they don't carry all the bone they once had and won't score what they once would have. Imagine the mount on the wall. If you think you'd be proud to have him there, take him. If you think you'd have serious regrets, pass for this year.

OLD BUCK, THANK YOU, WELL PUT. I KNOW YOU HAD A HISTORIC YEAR LAST YEAR. SO DID I.NOT QUITE THA CALIBER OF YOURS BUT I STILL MANAGED TO TAKE A 151 CLACC P.Y. AND A 190 CLASS N.T. SHOTGUN HUNTING---I LIVED OLD RIVALS 4. YOU HAVE SHOWN PERSISTANCE IN THE HARVESTING OF MATURE BUCKS ON YOUR PROPERTY, AND I THINK I SHALL FOLLOW IN TOE. HAD A SHOT AT 15 YARDS ON THE 170 LAST NIGHT. I WILL NOT RECONSTRUCT A RACK, ITS UNFAIR TO THE ANIMAL, AND DECIEVING TO ALL WHO SET EYES ON THE GREATEST CREATURES ON THIS PLANET. THANKS LARRY. M350 OUT

Take a still photograph or video tape of these bucks, while hunting. If done carefully, you won't spook them and you'll have a nice reminder of them. My $0.02 ~

If you don't feel comfortable shooting one without all of it's antler present, pass it up & find the sheds in the spring. If anything, have the SHEDS repaired. But a trophy is a trophy. You've still made a big accomplishment whether all the tines are present or not.

Must be nice to be an Iowan. Bet you wouldn't be talkin' like that if you lived here! Good luck....a trophy is in the eyes of the beholder....do what your heart tells you.

Top Bottom