Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big business?

like2hunt

PMA Member
Not all nr land owners are big business people.Some of us are blue collar.Not all of us drive $50,000 pick ups and $40,000 Ranger boats.Some of us drive 5 yr old pickups and have 20 yr old jon boats.By choice we used that "extra" money for our down payments.A 2-3 year old buck is our trophy.The hunt is far more important than the elusive B&C or P&Y.To own this piece of dirt has been a long term goal,planned for many years.THis comes after putting 2 kids though college,working the same job for 30 yrs(diesel mechanic)retiring and living in the same old farm house for over 50 years.
Some of you group us with all non residents claiming the lack of daily support to the local economy.I believe the taxes we pay the fertilizer we buy and the seed we plant seperates us from the typical non resident.My mortage is though a local bank ,my truck came from Ft.Madison and a mower came from the Des Moines area.FRom this back ground most of you should be able to recognize a long term investment that is on going.Much different than coming overleasing ground out from under neath some one.
My issue has never been having to buy tags.The main problem is being grouped with all non residents in the draw.It is very obvious we should have some type of preference system in place.Reciprocity with the state the land owner is from would be the most sensible.Some of you tout herd management.That seems pretty short sighted.There are a couple of things that could happen.First the nr land owner could be able to buy a couple of tags possibly harvest a couple of deer be happy and probably allow a couple locals access(which I already do)or I can say if I can't hunt it no one is- which is how I honestly feel this time of year. Another thing can happen ,which I personally don't care to do,is lease it to an out fitter.Then you have several people coming in and taking as many bucks as they can.So it goes from a couple of deer to who knows how many.Given these choices it would be pretty simple as to what to support.Besides that it is not your land to begin with so why should your input dictate my priviledges.
I don't ask for anything that any of you would'nt ask for if you were in the same situation and owned the land regardless if you lived in Iowa or not.Ask an Iowa land owner what he would do if he could'nt hunt his land .I have asked that question and you probably already know the answer.The big business people (tv writers,celebrities etc) will their tags anyway though the great political machine.
P.S. Enjoy your Deer Classic----------Illinois had theirs last week end-------seemed to be alot more outfitters and realtors than ever before

Top Bottom