Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big City Buck

B

Baker

No he's not from Des Moines he's a Cyclone. Today on my morning commute to class I was westbound on 30 and saw a big buck as I pulled off on the university exit. West of Vet med and about 100 yards north of the exit the bruiser was sunning himself on a hill in the little wood lot there. I could only see the right side and I only think there were four points, but the tine length was amazing. Has anyone else seen big bucks in Ames. I've seen some deer there before, but nothing like this.

A couple of years ago, I had a big eight-pointer run right in front of my car on Sixth St. just east of the railroad underpass by Brookside Park. He had a wide rack with lots of mass and didn't even slow down as he ran north off across the park. You've got the Skunk and Squaw Creek natural corridors into town and the railroad too so it's easy for them to get there. There've been several does hit along several main streets so it only makes sense that the bucks are finding haven (and does) there as well. Maybe we'll get an urban bow season if collisions keep happening.

Good luck and I'll keep my eyes open for the one you saw.

threebeards

I'm a fourth year vet student there. I take my labs back there to run. I haven't seen any buck sign back there. Don't think it would go over well if I took my bow back there. 2 years ago while goose hunting one afternoon near the quary pits just norht of town I saw a 150-160ish class buck looking for does. He steped out into the field I was in. I got a good look at him with my binocs. The size of his body and neck made him look like he belonged on the O-line for the cyclones. Then last year, Some of my classmates said that they had seen on the news that a huge buck had busted through the patio door of a house in that area (during the rut) and tore up the basement before the cops showed up and shot him.

I had to work late one night this week...On my way home at about 1.30 AM I almost hit a very nice 10pt buck on a city street in downtown Algona. They must be lookin' really hard for those does
wink.gif

Baker
I am pretty sure I saw that big buck you are talking about yesterday morning when a bunch of buddies and I were leaving town to do some pheasant hunting. We were heading towards 30 right by Vet Med when I spotted him on the west side of the street out in the field.....and he was HUGE! We also jumped a big buck that morning while trying to kick up some birds....so we got to see a couple dandy bucks this weekend.
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

GOT SOME BAD NEWS FOR YA. I'M A COP IN AMES, AND WE COVERED A CAR/DEER ACCIDENT ON HWY 30, ABOUT A HALF MILE WEST OF ELWOOD ON THE EVENING OF THE 3RD. YES, HE WAS HUGE. HE WAS PRETTY MUCH A MAIN FRAME 8, BUT HAD ABOUT A 3 OR 4 INCH G4 ON HIS RIGHT BEAM. RIGHT AT 20" INSIDE, WITH 11"-12" G2'S AND G3'S ON BOTH SIDE. I WOULD GUESS HIM TO BE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD OF 150" GROSS. I GOTTA SAY, HE WAS A WHOLE LOT MORE IMPRESSIVE THAN WHAT I ENDED UP SHOOTING THIS YEAR, BUT UNFORTUNATELY A CAR GOT HIM FIRST.

Well, I said he was Cyclone. Just when things were going good for him, he got plowed.

Another spot in Ames where there are a lot of deer is in the field across from Veenker Golf Course right next to the river. I have seen quite a few bucks in there but nothing big.

That ia s good spot to see deer, but I seem to see more on the other side of the river, just off 13th st. I saw a very big 13pt last year just prior to the rut there. It was the 1st time I had seen him. Unfortunately he also got hit on Hwy 30, just about in the same spot. I got to see that one also, and i roughed him out to around 180", but the left side was broken, so it was rough. The deer travel a path from north of town down the river greenbelt, and right out the south end of town. Keep your eyes open, the big ones occasionally wander through there, I just need to figure out how to keep them from getting squashed on Hwy 30.

Saw a six pointer in the field across from Veenker yesterday (Thursday) afternoon about 2:30. He had his nose to the ground and was looking hard for does. Normally, I only see does in that field, starting as far back as mid August.

Threebeards

Top Bottom