Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big Dog Tree Stands

Mr. Deeds

Anyone have any Big Dog tree stands. Noticed there on sale for a pretty good price. Didn't know if anyone had any and what you think of them?

I usually pick up several of the big dog treestands each year, and they work great for me. I hunt properties that several other people walk through some with permission and some without. Buying these cheaper stands ensures I'm not out a ton if they're stolen. One of these years I'll pick up a Muddy Vantage and pack it in and out, but either way I enjoy the cheaper reliable stands.

FYI if you can find the big dog ladder sections they work great, and are similar to the big game models for a heck of a lot cheaper.

Similar circumstance to above poster. Buy a couple at year end on sale for the next fall along with either sticks or enclosed ladders. No big complaints. No comparision to my LW Alpha for being solid and quiet but for a long-term stand location - these are as cheap an option I am able to find.

I do replace or supplement most with an upgraded strap and check them over during the off-seasons.

Anyone have any Big Dog tree stands. Noticed there on sale for a pretty good price. Didn't know if anyone had any and what you think of them?

I use them as I can't afford much else at the quantity needed. Probably be at about 60 stands by next year. They are often on sale for $29 at Menards. The seats get noisy by year 2 and require a retrofit.

Love the big dog ladder stands. My buddy has a couple. One of which is 20+ feet tall. Very comfy and I don't feel like I'm sticking out like sore thumb. IMO, for the price, you can't beat it.

The stands are cheap and do the job. Be warned, they are noisy! The seat as mentioned before and the frame part that touches the tree gets squeaky (squeaky where wood touches metal). Even over tightening the straps do not help fix the problem. Not sure how to solve yet. I think the v-notch is too thin and flexes just enough to allow the squeak. Just a small shift in weight will make the noise. I had it happen as I was getting ready to draw my bow on a shooter. He heard it and I was still lucky enough to get the shot. Barely as I had to act fast! Could have been a deal breaker and a heart breaker at the same time. You've been warned :)

The seat cushion is a little noisy against my clothes, but not bad. As far as squeaky, not the ones I've used. But I believe that issue really comes down to what species of tree it is strapped to. I'm not much of a tree expert, but I can look at the bark and tell right away if a setup will squeak or not. Trial and error I suppose.

I was on a friends farm this pat November and had the same experience as 157buck but i did not get the shot. This was a stand that had been in the woods for a while. They have a mix of the Big Dogs and Rivers Edge stands. The Rivers Edge cost a bit more but our general consensus is for a little bit more money they are a better stand. They don't go quite as cheap at the end of season but they are a reasonably priced stand.

Top Bottom