Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big ol' 3rd gun season Bird! (Redemption)

CyMoose42

So Monday morning, 4:00 am the alarm goes off. Every sane part of my mind is telling me to go back to sleep. And after 5 straight days of waking up at this time it sounds like a pretty good idea. Not to mention feeling pretty defeated after missing a bird on saturday (as mentioned in JMoose's thread of his bird), and twice having a gobbler inside 25 yards and not getting a shot on sunday. But i manage to get myself and my brother out of bed and out to our new favorite turkey hunting spot.

On the way there we decide to change things up and hunt the opposite side of the property that we normally hunt. Boy were we in for a surprise!

We get the blind set up on the cleared walking path that goes through the timber probably 150 yards from the creek. And let the gobbling commence!! To our dissattisfaction, only about half the birds that usually are in this chunk of timber are making any noise at all and are much further away than expected. :(
Then out of nowhere less than fifty yards to our left a bird sounds off while my brother was doing a little purring on his slate call. And just like that it is on!!!

Justin tells me to grab my gun and before he can get the words "That bird is close!!!" out of his mouth "GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE!!!!" even closer! At this point i have my gun in hand and barrel out the blind. Justin whispers " I can see him, 20 yards coming to the path." I get myself ready and i see a white head poke out from behind a tree 30 yards away. He takes three more steps in full strut at this point and stops. Comes halfway out of strut and i let him have it!

Stoned him! didnt flop once which i have never seen before and was ready to get out of the blind and get my hands on him.

Biggest bird ive ever taken!

25 lbs
10 1/2 inch beard
1 3/8" & 1 1/2" spurs

Total score = 74.75

congrats again little brother!! you stuck in there even though i know you were getting pretty frustrated by Sunday night. You forgot to mention this was one of the quickest hunts I've ever been on... bird was dead at 5:52 AM! Awesome bird!! Now let's see if we can get that double during 4th season!

Top Bottom