Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Big" Surprise

sw outdoor nut

Well I wanted to do something different last week so I set out a cam on a good pheasant spot, trying to get some bird pics. I thought I would get some and maybe some small deer and coons. As I walked in, there were no crops this year inside the CRP and hardly any bird tracks. I gave it a week and took it down today, man was I surprised. No birds, but a dandy 11 ptr and a huge (in my book) 8 ptr. Other than a few sparse scrub trees by nearby R/R tracks there isn't any trees/timber for two miles or more. The last one is a wide 8 ptr that showed up for the first time at a different spot. Would you guys try and set up on this CRP ground for Oct, or is it too much of a long shot. I imagine their patterns may change, but there is food/water/cover nearby. I would have to use a ground blind of some kind. Your thoughts?
SUNP0023.jpg

SUNP0018.jpg

MDGC0003.jpg

hmmmmmmm....am I missing something?I don't see a huge 7.But the 3 bucks I do see are great.Thanx for sharing.I would agree on a gound blind set-up.Go out and glass in the evening and see if you cam figure out a consistant pattern and hit-em early in the season. Good Luck

I would say im liking the huge 7.

Yeah, I agree. What a toad! As for once bow season rolls around...scout the area and you'll figure out if they are there or not. Is there anywhere you can find a few scrapes and throw your camera up? I'd give that try.

Thanks for sharing!

If you can setup to hunt and watch you'll likely see an oppertunity to close in. I would not push it until you have a solid aproach in mind. Setup safe at first and see what the patterns are. Hopefully you can figure them out before season but to start your season laying back aways is a practice a good buddy has coached me into and I am happy with how it change my success rate. He is a sweet 7 or 8. What ever you call him he is a stud!

Top Bottom