Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Biggest Learning Lessons of the Season?

We spend a lot of time moaning on here about the "shed buck season", but we really should be calling that disaster of a season the "button buck season". In my opinion and area, the rut has cooled off recently from less bucks overall.....

Not "moaning" at all. Just saying what I learned last year. The thread is "lessons of the season" so i gave mine, didn't need interpreted. Thanks

Good to see someone is trying to deal with given conditions. Thanks for pointing out ways to adapt to new conditions. Definitely plenty of things to consider. I am also going to lay low on shooting does. It may not be the best doe/buck ratio still, but in order to achieve numbers we are going to have to let the does run.

Shoot my bow more DURING the season. I missed the buck I was chasing by 2 feet at 20 yards because my sight got knocked around.

1) Separate larger foot plots with some sort of screen whether it is sorghum, wheat, or corn.
- Seemed the deer in my 1.5 acre turnip plot always seemed on edge compared to my .5 acre perennial plot that was secluded by sorghum and egyptian wheat.

2) Put mineral out all months of the year!
- I put mineral out only from May-October. I should have had it throughout the winter and DEFINITELY into spring.

3) Let trail cameras soak for longer.
-Just like any little kid is excited to open their presents on Christmas day, I to wanted to rush in and check my trail cameras every week. This year I am planning on 2-3 week soaks as a norm.

4) Move treestand locations.
- My stands have pretty much stayed in the same areas for way too long. The deer have come accustomed to some of these spots so the move MUST happen prior to next season to get on better and bigger deer on my land.

Thats all I have for now. Great post Sligh1!!!!

Top Bottom