Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Biggest so far

C

chevy2

Here is the 46lb. flathead that Bentshaft and I caught monday. I posted the pic of the 43lb. cat that we caught Sunday in the whitetail forum.I had to wake Little Splitty and Itty bitty Splitty up from there naps for the picture but after the saw the fish they really didn't mind!
135446lb-med.jpg

Thanks Limb, as far as the method of catching him goes, it was with a bank pole and supreme skill(or sumpreme luck,whichever you prefer!).
beerchug.gif

Congrats Bentbrow and Splitshaft!
grin.gif

You boys seem to be on them.....SE Iowa fish fry soon?
blush.gif

How do you fix those bigger cats? It seems like when ever I cook the bigger ones they are either real rubbery or tastes like straight poop. Whats the secret, or do you like poopy rubber?

The river has actually been holding pretty steady down here Limb. First time in a few years that we have had good water for more than a week.
Ghosty, definately going to be a SE Iowa fish fry. Maybe in my new shop as soon as its done.It's going to take alot of batter and beer!
lxshooter, I know what you are talking about. As far as a straight channel cat goes, anything over 5 or 6 pounds isn't fit to eat in my opinion. On a flathead or yellow cat as some people call them, as long as you trim the little bit of red meat of of them and just cook the white stuff it tastes better than a straight channel any day of the week. The red meat is the stuff that will turn muddy brown on you when you fry it up and tastes like an old oil filter.

So there really is nothing you can do for large channels then? The reason I ask this is because we caught a 10 lb last year and cooked him and it was like eating the sole of a tennis shoe. I've heard of soaking it in milk but that is for the fishy taste. Thanks for the info on the flatheads though split. Anyone have any suggestions on how to cook large channel i.e not make them so tuff

as for the bad taste? when we catch a fish that is good sized we put them in our bait tank/ cattle tank with fresh well water and let them soak out for acouple days to clean them out and usaully that takes care of the dark meat and fishy taste. i hope that helps u some!

Thats a good idea 16point. We do that with turtles to get them cleaned out before we clean them.
lxshooter, I would also try cutting your fish in small pieces before you cook it. That way it will cook through faster and you don't have to worry about overcooking the outside to make sure the insides done. I usually cook mine in 2 inch chunks.

I would agree with Split on the size of pieces you cook. Usually the rubbery taste comes from having too big of a piece of fish in the cooker. Another thing I do besides fileting the red meat off is to cut out the lateral line. It takes alot of time and you end up with a lot less meat, but it definitely makes a difference in the taste.

Now that's a pig, I'd love to do battle with one of those hawgs someday. I guess I've got another "to do" when I retire.......only 26 more years.

[ QUOTE ]
Now that's a pig, I'd love to do battle with one of those hawgs someday. I guess I've got another "to do" when I retire.......only 26 more years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saskguy...you kind of sound like you think these guys are catching these Flatheads on a rod and reel.
confused.gif

Big green willow bank poles, nylon cord, and little wieght, a big stainless steel hook, and live bait.

I've done a lot of channel cats the past few years out of my folks' lake. Their lake is loaded with kittys, many in the 6-10 pound range.
Best way I've found is as follows:
Filet them out immediately
Soak the filets over-night in real salty water in the fridge
Freeze the filets for a few weeks in solid ice (fill a ziploc with water after you put the filets in)
When you thaw the filets cut them up in chucks the size of your thumb and soak them in milk for a few hours
Coat the chunks in flour/cajun/jiffy corn muffin mix and fry in peanut oil

Absolutely great catfish poppers.

Top Bottom