Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Binoculars

nginth

I am looking to buy a set of binoculars for both bow and muzzleloader hunting. I guess what I am looking for is something compact and rugged. I am thinking something in the 300.00 range.I have a pair of cheap Bushnell 10x50's and they are just to bulky to carry in. Any suggestions?

I have the Leupold Wind River Series with Camo finish in 10x50. They are the best I have ever had and I used to have Nikons. The cost is or was around $279 for black and $299 for Camo finish. I like them alot, very clear and easy to look through and not too big or bulky.

Gundog

something in the 8x range. Alot on the site like the Nikon's but I felt the Bushnell Legend 8x32's kick butt. They are in your price range also. I would stick to a 7 or 8 magnafication for better light gathering when you need it.
13-3208.jpg

I asked the same question here last year and the crew steered me toward the Nikon Monarchs -- I love 'em! Great clarity and light-gathering ability. Under $300 to boot.

Thanks for the input guys.
grin.gif

Ok, so I have looked at three brands...Leupold Cascades, Bushnell Legends and Nikon ATB. I think that I will go with the 8x42's not sure which ones. I found all three brands for around $230.00 in black. Still not sure which one has the better optics. I guess I am wondering at this point which of the three has the better features?
confused.gif

Ditto on the Nikon Monarchs. Got the 8x last year, and really enjoy using them. Pick up a good carry strap like the Crooked Horn - they make wearing and using them a lot easier.

[ QUOTE ]
something in the 8x range. Alot on the site like the Nikon's but I felt the Bushnell Legend 8x32's kick butt. They are in your price range also. I would stick to a 7 or 8 magnafication for better light gathering when you need it.
13-3208.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been using a pair of these for about three years now and really like them. They've served me well in all kinds of weather and the optical clarity is great. I've let some friends look through them and the typical response is "Wow!". Paid about $250 for them them a camera store online called Adorama.com

I'll also second CamoMan's suggestion about getting a good strap for them. I put a Butler Creek neoprene strap on mine and it makes a huge difference from a comfort point of view.

I like the Monarchs and also like Nikon's little travelite series for compacts (great for shed hunting). Definately get the Crooked Horn bino suspenders, they are great.
Also, I sent you a PM.

Ditto to what Timberpig said on the Crooked Horn straps. I used to hate wearing even compact binos because they killed my neck. But now I carry 8X50s and sometimes forget I have them on. Well worth the $18.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
waytogo.gif
Normally, I try to look through my optics before buying, but due to logistical reasons that just won't work. I like the Nikons and they seem to have great light gathering abilities and optics from what I have read. I will probably order the Nikons in the next few days. It will probably be at least a month before I see them because of the holiday packages that are coming through the mail system. I will let you know how they hold up in the desert.
cool.gif

I compared the Monarchs, leupold wind river cascades, and leupold olympics, I chose the Leupold olympics in 8X42mm, all are good, but I liked these the best, they run about 300 bucks too
smile.gif

Nikon makes pretty good glass for the price.

Once you get a good pair of binoculars, you have got to have them with you all the time.

For me hunting without binoculars is like fishing without polarized sun glassess. I will go home and get both rather than hunt/fish without them.

They make you hunt so much more enjoyable and allow you to see a lot of things you might have otherwise missed.
grin.gif

As I mentioned earler, I use the Nikon Monarchs, and love them. I do have a question for some of you who might use or know about the Bushnell binos. I saw a Bushnell Buckhorn 10x42 in the Cabela's catalog for $99. ($119 in camo). How good are these ? I know the common answer is that you get what you pay for. However, the person I was thinking of getting these for would not use them all that much, so price becomes a little more important. I want a good pair, but am not needing top of the line. Any input is appreciated.

Top Bottom