Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Binos

SaskGuy

While glassing a field for sheds yesterday I came to the conclusion that I need to get off my wallet and get what is considered to be "high quality" binos. Is there such thing for $250-300? Anybody have a pair in that price range that they would say are "top notch"?

What are you using now?

I would suggest you use a spotting scope if you can. It will show much more than bins.

The birdwatcher sites have good reviews and I had good luck reading tips on the 24hourcampfire Ask John Barsness Questions About Binoculars and Glassing etc.

I got a pair of Vortex 8X42 diamondbacks that I like a great deal for your price range.

If you need more specific tips email.

I love the Nikon Monarchs. Wind River by Leopolds have some nice glass but $ for $ i would go Nikon. 10x42s if I wanted a set of binos for everything, I have 8x36s (i think) LOVE THEM for hunting.

I would suggest you use a spotting scope if you can.

Not really feasible when tromping around in the middle of 160 acre alfalfa fields. I'm not looking for something that will let me glass a whole field, just when I stop as I walk. I was kind of intrigued by the monarchs,..Kind of just needing something versatile that'll be good in a tree, during shed season, or just to have in the truck in summer when deer are feeding on alfalfa 500 yards from the road.

or just to have in the truck in summer when deer are feeding on alfalfa 500 yards from the road.

I would go with 10x42s. I have a buddy that has a set, uses them for 3D in the summer, spotting deer in the summer evenings, and hunting in the fall. My little 8x are good for spotting bucks, but when I wanna get personal I take out the spotting scope and put the truck in park. I use my 8x for 3D, but if the lines are defined on a black target Im screwed. Truthfully, if a buck is in bow range or muzzy I dont need binos to tell if he's a shooter. I carry my binos to the stand 2 outta 3 times and dont really use them for looking at deer.

Every time this question gets asked on here you will get the same three responses for the most part. In no particular order, this is what I've noticed gets posted the most.

Nikon Monarchs (I use them in 8x42)
Vortex Optics
Wind River Leopolds

I've never looked through the Leopolds but those that own them on this site have my complete trust. If you're looking for strictly glassing I'd go with 10x42.

Monarchs
I have had 2 different issues with mine and they have covered them under warranty each time with new glasses. Can't complain here with Nikon

ive had the monarchs for 3 1/2 years now. they ride all year on the dash of my truck until i take them to the stand with me. never had any issues. imo they are the best for the money. i bought my cheap on ebay. as far as the 10/42, i have the 12s and they are the same size and weight of the 10s. you wont be dissappointed.

Muddy summed it up. I use the Leopold Wind River (green rings) in 10x42. Great glass, good in low light. All around tight set of binos. Everything mentioned is in the same arena.

Do like I did a few years ago I was doing a bunch of food plot work for a guy and he had a pair of swarovski's I asked him to look through them and just went on and on how good they were. I couldnt believe it when I got done doing all the work for him he was so pleased that there was a brand new pair of swarovskis for me with the check. I was lucky to be working for a guy who had plenty of money to burn though.

Like others have said, 10 x 42 are a good bet for all around binos. I have the Vortex Fury and my brother has the Nikon Monarchs. I can't tell much difference between the two and the price is about the same.

I started using the glass quite a bit the past few years and can't imagine being out without them now. I've missed out on seeing some cool things over the years by not carrying anything.

Went to bass pro before bow season this year and checked out some new optics. Asked them if i could take some out near dusk....
I ended up buying a pair of leupold mojave's. Big diff between them and the monarchs. Im typically a nikon fan. but these you could tell a big difference. Look around on the net and you can find things pretty reasonable...

A few months ago I asked the same question and basically got the same answers. Vortex, Nikon, Leupold. I ended up going with the (Vortex) 10x42 Stokes Talons birding series. They are as great as everyone said they were. I really couldnt imagine paying the outlandish prices for a pair of Swarovskis. They are a little heavy carrying them in if you walk a great distance. But other than that, Fantastic! And 4 buck you are right about the net. Normally these are near $400, found a dealer closing them out for a mere $149.

Last edited:
Im not a big fan of Burris myself, but on camofire.com today is a pair of 8x42 and/or 10x42 Landmark II binos on sale.

Muddy summed it up. I use the Leopold Wind River (green rings) in 10x42. Great glass, good in low light. All around tight set of binos. Everything mentioned is in the same arena.

I've got these Leupold's too. I've had them for about 8 or 9 years now and they're still in great shape and they take some abuse from me. I don't get in a stand without them.

I have had my Monarch's in for warranty work three times. My wife's have been in once. The eye cup is not sturdy enough in my opinion. Also they failed during 13 hours in the rain while hunting the Bitterroot Wilderness. It took them days to clear up to a usable state and I had no spare with me. I have enjoyed the clarity of the glass and ability to gather light but I will try something else next go around. I see leopold has a lifetime warranty!

Top Bottom