Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bird Down

Buckmaster14

Set up on a bird this morning and had him gobbling on the roost 50 yards in front of me. Daylight broke and he flew down and went across the field with hens...

Got up and started heading towards my truck... calling as i went. As i reached the big field between me and my truck, i cut real loud and 2 birds answered...fast. I sat down beside a tree and started calling. They would answer with every sound i made. After a couple minutes, i could tell they were gonna circle the field and come in around the corner from me... so i drop down into the creek bottom, yelping as i move. when i get to the bottom of the hill, one bird has worked into 30 yards in the field. i quickly empty my calls from my pocket so i dont make any noise and start to slowly crawl up the hill. when i get to a point where i can ALMOST see over the hill into the field, i stop and yelp. The bird fires off, now 10 yards from me. I am laying on my stomach, with the gun to my shoulder. a few seconds goes by and i hear leave crunching, then see a red head bobbing over the hill. I pull the hammer back and find my mark... I shoot with the bird at 5 steps. he drops and flops right over top of me! He then flops down the hill and takes a swim in the creek, just about plucking himself for me on the way down.

Stats:

Weight: Soaking wet... 20lbs
Spurs: 3/4 inch
Beard: 10.5 inches

bird.jpg

Top Bottom