Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Birds shying away from blinds?

Crockett

PMA Member
I have always had DB blinds! I have a Pre-Primos Matrix!! I have birds hanging out 25 /30 yd.s! Have used Delta, Bobb'in hen and such! Now DSD! Not the deke's!! Called them in from 700 yd.s!! They skirt the blind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any Ideas???:confused: I never had to brush a blind in for turks before!

Take a gun!! :) Do you have movement in your decoys? That has helped me a bunch. Everyone always says to face your decoys towards the blind but from what I have seen this year the 4 birds we have killed has all circled and came from behind the decoys. I am going to start facing my decoys away from the blind.

Movement is what brought the birds into my blind.

Steve smokes also so there is smoke rolling out of my blind:way:

You need Muddy to guide you with Big Boi:D

Take a gun!! :) Do you have movement in your decoys? That has helped me a bunch. Everyone always says to face your decoys towards the blind but from what I have seen this year the 4 birds we have killed has all circled and came from behind the decoys. I am going to start facing my decoys away from the blind.

I had 4 Tom's come in doing the dance from about 500/600 yd.s yesterday , all gobbling,strutting, all the way! They came from behind and were close enuff to hear them drumming! When they came around front they were 25 yd.s out and hinky!! Made a 30 yard circle and left!!!! HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM????????????

In my experience, which is not a ton, turkeys get blind shy after they have been pressured. The later the season gets, it becomes more important to brush in your blind. Just my humble opinion. Of course, you will have the occasional bird that gets hot and would run into the side of a truck if it were making a yelp. p.s.....take the 30 yard shot :way:

I have had the same problem and it has happened enough that I know it isn't movement. Friends of mine have experienced the same thing. It seems that when it greens up then my brown object (db, brown and grey predator camo) causes them to skirt. I then go with my green predator camo db and they come within 10' again.

It's because ur missing that sweet decoy that you modified in ur spread... those real legs were the ticket I tell ya! Haha

I'm going to say movement in your spread as well. I don't think birds are shying away from the blind as much as they're shying away from the lack of movement from your dekes. They've probably been educated a few times by now from their own kind who don't move.

I'm pretty sure they are not shying away from the blinds. There is something about the set up or perhaps movement they aren't liking.

I have an older model DB and I have many times thought that the turks were a little blind shy. I know it is not movement from me that is scaring them as several of the times I have been rock solid still. They seem to get hinky at about 30 yards and I have never had them get right up close to the blind like I see so many videos of.

Many factors could be involved here, wearing black or camo, light entering the blind the glimmer of a rangefinder, the list goes on and on. In my experiance a turkey may be shy one day and the next the may want to come right into the blind with you. Just try to pay attention to details when setting up mainly the sunlight. It all depends on the turkey as they all do different things if they all walked right in it would be no fun. Last but not least what is wrong with shooting them at 25 to 30. I mean hell if they come in whack em. If they hang up anywhere within 45 to 50 depending on situation wind etc. they are getting an arrow sent there way.

Keep after them Paul. I have stuff you can borrow if you want. Our work schedules suck.

30-50 yard shot at a target the size of your fist thats moving on a live animal are guys serious:confused:

I guess I'm not that good of archer.

They've been skirting my DB matrix for the last 2 seasons since an idiot horned in and started doing dumb things. Jumping out of the blind and giving chase, etc. He hasn't hunted since 3 yrs ago but it completely changed the face of hunting for me. Used to double on regular occassion, now they intentionally skirt me by anywhere from 50 to 75 most typically. Real fans, jakes, hens, with and without movement, DSD's, tried it all. Flung an arrow from 55 the other day and missed about a feather low. Thinking howitzers are the next step.

Thank's guys! First .I been at the birds for awhile with a bow and blind! Had them close enuff to the blind to reach out and grab by the throat! Just that every bird I had in this year, and Lord they were all fired up! Skirted the blind by 25 yd.s! Now I can kill a turk at 25 yd.s! But.. I bought into the cut their heads off deal, So ! I'm kinda hinky on that shot! I just don't wanna wound a bird! They really do deserve more than a poke at them!! :way: Hey! We live and learn!! :way: Thank's for the advice!!!

Keep after them Paul. I have stuff you can borrow if you want. Our work schedules suck.

30-50 yard shot at a target the size of your fist thats moving on a live animal are guys serious:confused:

I guess I'm not that good of archer.

:way: Ya! Me either!!!!!!!!!

Thank's guys! First .I been at the birds for awhile with a bow and blind! Had them close enuff to the blind to reach out and grab by the throat! Just that every bird I had in this year, and Lord they were all fired up! Skirted the blind by 25 yd.s! Now I can kill a turk at 25 yd.s! But.. I bought into the cut their heads off deal, So ! I'm kinda hinky on that shot! I just don't wanna wound a bird! They really do deserve more than a poke at them!! :way: Hey! We live and learn!! :way: Thank's for the advice!!!

Yeah if you want to whack their heads off you have to get them close thats for sure. I would say the average shot for me is roughly 12 yards have shot them closer and much farther but I will take what the birds give me every scenerio is different that is for sure. had birds come close enough to the blind to where all you can see is a red head in the window. I am fortunate enough to have multiple places to go so the birds dont get to edgy. I will hunt a spot a few days and then move to another and alternate spots accordinally to the birds.

Top Bottom