Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bitzenburger question

CamoMan

I'm finally ready to start fletching my own arrows, and will be picking up a Bitzenburger soon. I shoot the Blazer vanes, and would like your input on which to to with - straight, right helical, left helical . . . does it make a big difference? We shoot Gold Tip arrows and Muzzy broadheads. Thanks for your input.

I always fletch mine with the straight helical, but I'm using expandable heads now. When I shot Muzzy's I had a strong left helical I believe, when I went to a straight helical I didn't notice any difference in flight even with the Muzz's. A properly tuned bow should spit your arrows correctly regardless of helical.

Of course someone will probably have the exact opposite of success and suggestions than I just gave you. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I have been fletching blazers with the bitzenburger for about about a year now and love it. I originally bought the right helical for the longer vanes, but I have found it works very well with the blazer vanes as well. You won't notice a whole lot of twist, and I don't know that it is doing much for improving arrow flight over a straight fletch, but I will recommend the bitzenburger 100% all the way.

It won't matter if you put a right or left helical twist on it. They'll both do the same thing. In my opinion, a helical jig is better than a straight.......you can tell the difference when your arrow comes out of your bow.......looks more like a dart flying through the air. Pick up a right helical jig with it and you won't be sorry.........pretty standard anymore I think.

Thanks guys - I really appreciate the info. I figured the Blazer vanes weren't as moody as bigger vanes. I think I'll try the right helical, and see how it works.

Kevin,
I fletch mine with a straight clamp and set as much off-set as I can.
One thing that I did notice when I changed from Gold Tips to Full Metal Jackets is that you can't get as much off-set on the smaller diameter arrows and still get good contact throughout the length of the vane

Well, I picked up a Bitzenberger jig, a dozen Gold Tip XT shafts, and vanes - ebay has been very good to me lately. I went with the Goat Tuff glue - that stuff is GREAT for gluing fingers together. I built my first arrows, and went with a slight offset The short vanes kept good contact with the arrows. The Bitzenberger was very easy use, and I feel like my first fletching effort turned out pretty well. I tried them out in the backyard, and they are flying nice and straight. Now I need to finish Taylor's arrows. He is a summer camp counselor at Hidden Acres this year, and next week is shooting camp. Gotta make him something purdy . . . Thanks to all for your help.
Arrows.jpg

Top Bottom