Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Black Hole Target

PointBlank

I use a Black Hole target in my backyard but it is getting pretty thin in the middle. I have had too many arrows shoot clean through the target lately. I have thought about removing the 2 bands that bind it together and getting rid of the shot up pieces. Then I would use ratchet straps to cinch it all back together. Has anybody ever tried this with that sort of target before?

If you have access to or know of someone who has a 'bander', you could get it re-banded and that should solve your problem...

Those pieces of polly are full length and you may be suprised how many you will lose when you start to pull them loose. You may end up with a real short target. Otherwise I agree with the bander choice. They work real well on every other bundle I have ever made. Used to borrow mine from a lumber yard I worked at.
beerchug.gif

I made my own block style target. I used a piece of plywood and 2 pieces of 2x4 on the top and on the bottom, then put the layered foam in the middle and used 4 sticks of all thread and nuts and washers and sandwiched it together by tightening the nuts. Easy to take apart and easy to compress.
Good luck

Supertec,
If you dont mind sharing, what kind of foam did you use for your target, where did you get it, and about how much does it cost? I could always use another target, especially a weatherproof one.
Thanks...

Timber - I actually lucked out and was in the right place at the right time. I got enough to make a 4'x6' target. I helped a local shop move a month ago and got part of their old target wall, then just cut them and restacked them. I think they know where to get it and could probley get it for you. Call Brady at Central Iowa Archery at 266-3912. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Thanks Super,

I actually made one just like you did except I used layer cardboard years ago. Couldnt get those arrows out for anything.

We did the same thing on layered cardboard. Now we just use it as a backstop for our other targets. When we switched to graphite's it took all you had to persuade the cardboard to give back your arrow. Then it leaves a layer of cardboard on your arrow.

We tried one of the targets similar to the blackhole and have not had good luck with it. It claimed about 3 broadheads and doesn't seem to last as well as it was supposed to according to the ads. What seems to work the best are the stuffing filled style hanging targets for us.

i read a post on archerytalk about these type of targets(the block, the black hole). seems their 15000 shots were all taken with very low poundage bows, and NO broadheads

Yep, broadheads are what ruined the Black Hole that I use. It is great for field tips, but now I have to shoot in the corners of the target because my broadheads ruined the middle of it.

...so what would be a good broadhead target for tuning up before bow season?...

I recently bought that new McKenzie four sided target. You can shoot all four sides, and when the foam starts to wear thin it is adjustable, so you can pull it tight and keep shooting. $70.00 you can find it in Cabelas.

Hershey - a good target to warmup with using broadheads is someone else's target.
hehehehe

I have heard about the McKenzie block target that is in my Cabellas and Bass Pro catalogs. You can shoot on all 6 sides and should last quite a while but Im not sure if its layered foam rather than just a block of foam material.

I had a buddy of mine hear about someone taking a garbage bag and just spraying expanding foam in the bag until full. It would be shaped by hand when expanding or make an open box frame from wood to help shape the box shape so it would stand up. Kind of a cheap way to shoot your broadheads for a while.

Exactlt smoking arrow... put it in your spent targets and mold it and leave the plastic and shoot the heck out of it for a season, better then spending the big bucks and you can shoot your broad heads into the deer..

Top Bottom