Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Black locust removal

Jwest

Anyone with success stories of removing black locusts stands and turning that area into something more desirable? I have a little under a half acre of a thick black locust stand, with of course tons of honey suckle underneath. I have found some white oaks, black oaks and some cherry intermixed but it is predominantly black locust. I have killed the ones around the white oaks the last month via hack and squirt with tricopyr and they seem pretty dead. No signs of root shoots yet. I plan to work on this area more this winter. Going to be a chore, but I guess I won’t run out of firewood anytime soon. Anyone with any advice? I will try to run fire through it once I get rid of honey suckle, it’s a jungle in there.
06730472f7ceaf86bace13fa4a35f06d.jpg

73b578325b18313c1b0170313d6b5b06.jpg

39c80a0a0c8364a4c98e64846ee473e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are on the right track. Have to you use herbicide with black locust. Be careful with translocation to nearby "good" trees if using something like Tordon. I have used the Craig Harper cocktail with good results and no translocation. Right now is actually a great time to foliar spray your honeysuckle as well with glyphosate. There are plenty of black locust in the world so I wouldn't hesitate to completely eliminate them.

You are on the right track. Have to you use herbicide with black locust. Be careful with translocation to nearby "good" trees if using something like Tordon. I have used the Craig Harper cocktail with good results and no translocation. Right now is actually a great time to foliar spray your honeysuckle as well with glyphosate. There are plenty of black locust in the world so I wouldn't hesitate to completely eliminate them.

Although most of my knowledge about translocation related to locust is what others have told me v. my own personal experience. (I am very fortunate to have very few locust trees on my place. Some nearby places have lots of them. Whew!)

However, I think the advice above is very good. Tordon can translocate. I have experienced it not with locust and oaks, but with volunteer mulberries underneath pine trees of various sorts. I have cut off mulberries flush to the ground that are underneath pines, Tordon'ed them...and then watched a couple/few of the pines die back. I cannot be 100% sure it was me...but...I am pretty sure it was. :)

Careful with the Tordon.

Although most of my knowledge about translocation related to locust is what others have told me v. my own personal experience. (I am very fortunate to have very few locust trees on my place. Some nearby places have lots of them. Whew!)

However, I think the advice above is very good. Tordon can translocate. I have experienced it not with locust and oaks, but with volunteer mulberries underneath pine trees of various sorts. I have cut off mulberries flush to the ground that are underneath pines, Tordon'ed them...and then watched a couple/few of the pines die back. I cannot be 100% sure it was me...but...I am pretty sure it was. :)

Careful with the Tordon.

Yeah the research I have done about tordon, I don’t want to use that anywhere near the desirables in this patch. Better safe than sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom