Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Black Powder Handguns

Shovelbuck

Muddy's post about the biggest / baddest handgun prompted me to post this up.
While the .500 S&W is the current champion, a lot of people don't realize that a black powder handgun, built in 1847 held the distinction of the most powerful for almost a hundred years! I doubt any other caliber has or ever will equal that length of time.

The 1847 Colt Walker.........

DSCN0184.jpg

History

The Walker Colt was the largest and most powerful black powder repeating handgun ever made. It was created in the mid-1840s in a collaboration between Captain Samuel Hamilton Walker (1815-47) and American firearms inventor Samuel Colt (1814-62), building upon the earlier Colt Paterson design. Walker wanted a handgun that was extremely powerful at close range.
Samuel Walker carried two of his namesake revolvers in the Mexican–American War.<sup id="cite_ref-fn_0-0" class="reference">[1]</sup> He was killed in battle the same year that his famous handgun was invented, 1847, shortly after he had received them. Only 1100 of these guns were originally made, which makes originals extremely difficult and expensive to obtain, going for US$150,000 or more at current estimates. On October 9, 2008, one specimen that had been handed down from a Mexican War veteran sold at auction for US$920,000.<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[2]</sup>
The Republic of Texas had been the major purchaser of the early Paterson Holster Pistol (No. 5 model), a five shot cal .⁠36 revolver, and Samuel Walker became familiar with it during his service as a Texas Ranger. In 1847, Walker was engaged in the Mexican-American War as a captain in the United States Mounted Rifles. He approached Colt, requesting a large revolver to replace the single-shot Aston Johnson holster pistols then in use. The desired .⁠44-.⁠45 caliber revolver would be carried in saddle mounted holsters and would be large enough to dispatch horses as well as enemy soldiers. The Walker Colt was used in the Mexican-American War and on the Texas frontier.
Medical officer John "R.I.P" Ford took a special interest in the Walkers when they arrived at Vera Cruz. He obtained two examples for himself and is the primary source for information about their performance during the war and afterward. His observation that the revolver would carry as far and strike with the same or greater force than the .⁠54 caliber Mississippi Rifle seems to have been based on a single observation of a Mexican soldier hit at a distance of well over one hundred yards. The Walker, like most succeeding martial pistols and revolvers, was a practical weapon out to about fifty yards.
Specifications

The Walker Colt holds a powder charge of 60 grains (3.9 g) in each chamber, more than twice what a typical black powder revolver holds. It weighs 4 1/2 pounds (2 kg) unloaded, has a 9-inch (229 mm) barrel, and fires a .44 caliber (0.454 in, 11.53 mm diameter) conical and round ball. The initial contract called for 1,000 of the revolvers and accouterments. Colt commissioned Eli Whitney Junior to fill the contract and produced an extra 100 revolvers for private sales and promotional gifts.

I've had this one since 1980 and it's been a whole lot of fun to shoot! When you touch one off with 60 grains of powder with a 9 inch barrel, the ground shakes!:way:

Anybody else here own a BP revolver?

Last edited:
I had a .44 cal brass frame Navy and a .45 Kentucky Dixie Gun Works kit pistol. I sold them when I was needing money during college.

I really wish Pedersoli made this in a flintlock version. I'd be all over it like flies on a watermelon:D

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p_RAqtse42E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Frankly I have never own one, I was fondling one at the gun show yesterday. I may yet own one of them. :grin:
<O:p</O:p
I have a friend who lost the use of several fingers while shooting one of those percussion revolvers many years ago. If I remember correctly all of the cylinders fired at once when he discharged it???????????????? :confused:

If I remember correctly all of the cylinders fired at once when he discharged it???????????????? :confused:
Yep, A chain fire can get ugly in a hurry. Although it's a very rare occasion for the cylinder to blow up. Grease over the cylinders and use tight fitting caps and that problem can't happen.

Years ago there were some new plastic wads on the market that were to be used instead of grease. I tried them and at the first shot the Walker went sideways in my hand. I didn't know what happened until I saw half a ball wedged against the wedge pin. I didn't learn my lesson with that shot and tried again with the same results. Both times the chamber counter clockwise to the one being fired had gone off. I pulled the remaining two loads and never used those plastic things again and never had any more trouble.

Here's a photo I found on another site that shows why you need tight caps and grease. With all that fire and heat it's easy to see why a chain fire could happen if a person doesn't follow procedure.
NightRevolver.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom