Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Black Rack

iKill_Bucks

Did anyone use the black rack this past year? I bought one today and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with them.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

I got my set of Black Racks just prior to our archery season beginning here in Wisconsin. I have used rattle bags and real antlers in the past, both with different results. First the rattle bag was pretty much useless and put out some not so exciting sounds. The real antlers as you most likely know worked awesome. However, having a set of WHITE and FLASHY antlers definitely doesn't scream seclusion. The black racks in my opinion gave a very realistic "bone" sound. Not to mention they are right in line with having in a way two sets of racks clashing. Lets be honest, how often do you see two half racks going at it? I bet not to often. Plus having these bad boys black colored is a huge plus in my book. Removing the white flash that a whitetail would typically use as a warning/distress signal is a major bonus to remaining concealed. I rattled in multiple bucks this season (a lot more than in the past). I would STRONGLY suggest anyone who is big into rattling during the pre-rut or rut pick up a pair of Black Racks.

So I guess simply putting it, I absolutely loved my Black Racks this past season!

However, having a set of WHITE and FLASHY antlers definitely doesn't scream seclusion. The black racks in my opinion gave a very realistic "bone" sound. Not to mention they are right in line with having in a way two sets of racks clashing. Lets be honest, how often do you see two half racks going at it? I bet not to often. Plus having these bad boys black colored is a huge plus in my book. Removing the white flash that a whitetail would typically use as a warning/distress signal is a major bonus to remaining concealed.
!

Or you can just spray paint your rattling antlers flat black. That's what I've been doing and it works fine. Also, I don't think you can hear a difference that rattling antlers are 'half racks'. Not saying that the Black Rack doesn't work, but I'd rather settle for the real thing! :)

Walnut hulls are a good way to stain antlers rather than painting them which can leave a scent when you beat them together.

I got my set of Black Racks just prior to our archery season beginning here in Wisconsin. I have used rattle bags and real antlers in the past, both with different results. First the rattle bag was pretty much useless and put out some not so exciting sounds. The real antlers as you most likely know worked awesome. However, having a set of WHITE and FLASHY antlers definitely doesn't scream seclusion. The black racks in my opinion gave a very realistic "bone" sound. Not to mention they are right in line with having in a way two sets of racks clashing. Lets be honest, how often do you see two half racks going at it? I bet not to often. Plus having these bad boys black colored is a huge plus in my book. Removing the white flash that a whitetail would typically use as a warning/distress signal is a major bonus to remaining concealed. I rattled in multiple bucks this season (a lot more than in the past). I would STRONGLY suggest anyone who is big into rattling during the pre-rut or rut pick up a pair of Black Racks. So I guess simply putting it, I absolutely loved my Black Racks this past season!

Cool. I was skeptical on them but now I am excited to give them a try! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using IW

I was on the Battle river once in saskatchewan. One sit right at dark but just a little outta my site 2 bucks started to really get it on. Only thing I can compare it to was 2 guys hitting 2 wooden baseball bats together. No way could a person make that sound. Never saw the bucks.

Witnessed a bunch of pushin matches over the years. I can honestly say I only saw one out and out buck brawl, back in the early eighties and I'm not sure 2 guys with bats could even make that much racket. But that is about as close as you could probablly get

Last edited:
I'm a little embarassed to admitt that I bought them. Not that they don't work, they do. It's just that the info-mercial is so cheesy yet I bit. Oh well. To be honest, I like the sound of my real antlers a little better and I can get more volume out of my real antlers. That being said, the black rack sounds good enough, I like the dark color, and they pack fairly easily.

The info-mercial says that it is the most effective deer calling system on the market. Maybe so since it is is the only real calling system (black rack and their fancy adjustable grunt call). The grunt tube is pretty good and I do like the ease of adjustments.

Do I think it is the one tool that I will never hunt without, as several of the "pros" say in the info-mercial? No. Do they work? Yes. I successfully grunted in and rattled in several bucks this season. I also know that my real antlers and primos grunt tube would have done the same.

It all comes down on what you want to spend money on. I fell for it but did get a product that works..............just as well as what I already had......but in black.:D

I can't speak for the black rack but I do own a rack pack. I tried using it on several occasions this year without a lot of luck. My brother used real antlers and had much more success when I had none. I did manage to rattle in and harvest an 8 pt while sitting on the ground in late November. I hunt all public so maybe the responses would be different on private but based on our experiences the deer seem to favor real antlers. I also like the idea of coloring the real antlers to conceal the glare.

Top Bottom