Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blackhorn 209

Buckhunter

Just wondering what you guy's have settled on for load's with this stuff?I'm still trying to figure out how much powder to use,I've got the bullet figured out.Also has anyone subjected it moisture on a hunt and had any problem's.This is my first time using it and not sure if it will live up to the hype but I know for sure that it's easier to clean that's for sure.

You won't be sorry, I promise! We tried 120 grains, 90 grains, and 110 grains. In the end the grouping with 120 and 110 was nearly identical so we went with 110. With 90 grains we had a surprisingly big group but with 110 grains of BlackHorn and a 250 grain Barnes TMZ we got quarter sized groups at 100yds.

Once we settled on that we shot at 150 and 200 yards. 150 had an 8" drop and 200 had an 18" drop. We were sighting in the muzzleloader around mid December after Russ missed with the gun at 150 yds during 1st shotgun. The days we were at the range sighting in it was freezing! The other guys would shoot a couple, clean/swab, reload, shoot. Here we sat across the bench shoot, reload, shoot, adjust, reload, etc. No cleaning in the freezing temps. They kept asking how we were shooting like that without cleaning? In the end we were sold on the powder! We had put 20+ shots through the gun multiple times without cleaning and it shoots the same everytime.

And on Jan. 5th with the same gun I got my chance to take a good buck at 195 yards and the gun performed just like you'd hope!

No problems with humidity or moisture. Kept the gun cased when brought inside or would leave it in the truck. Mostly for ease of mind vs. taking it in the house and back to the woods the next day. I'm curious to pull the opened containers of Blackhorn out in a few months and see how sitting on the cabinet shelf affected their "punch".

I might add that keep an eye out..that the first shot out of a clean barrel MAY be off due to cleaning. Some people fire primers through, others a fouling shot with full powder and bullet to "dirty the barrel". Some of our muzzleloaders seem to shoot different that first shot down the clean barrel and others aren't affected. For ease of mind before we go hunting we'll shoot a full live round into a dirt bank, reload and let it sit until season is over or better yet we can drop the hammer on some deer!

Last edited:
Forgot to answer your question on moisture during hunting. We had that same load in the gun for 10 days and hunted morning and evening each day. The gun was out in the elements, in and out of temp changes. On the 10th day we got that 195yd shot and it went off just like it supposed to. Sorry for the long posts but just passing on our experience, if ya couldn't tell...we really liked this stuff!

Thank's for the info bud,it sound's like you guy's have had really good luck with it,I'm going to do some more shooting real soon.Right now I'm shooting a TC superglide 250 and 100gr's of the black horn and all I noticed the most was that without any adjustment to my scope from the 777 was that it shot about 4"s higher,but that's a good problem to have I think.
I'm really impressed about being able to shoot a bunch without having to swab the barrel,that part alone would make it worth the switch.I was mainly interested in what load's everyone is using with the stuff.
I also read somewhere that it's legal in Colorado but I'm not for sure on that,they got some really messed up restriction's out there,it's like they want you to wound and loose your animal out there or something!Anyway thank's again.

Last edited:
I also read somewhere that it's Colorado legal but I'm not for sure on that

Funny, I was just emailing a guy about this earlier today (Colorado's MZ regs). You can't use sabots in Colorado, so you would be shooting full bore bullets. If you have a .50 cal ML, your full bore bullet might exceed the 300 grain bullet weight restriction Blackhorn warns about on the can. Choose your bullet carefully.

Funny, I was just emailing a guy about this earlier today (Colorado's MZ regs). You can't use sabots in Colorado, so you would be shooting full bore bullets. If you have a .50 cal ML, your full bore bullet might exceed the 300 grain bullet weight restriction Blackhorn warns about on the can. Choose your bullet carefully.

Ive shot a ton of 350, and 375g bullets with a weighed charge of 88g of the blackhorn without any problems out of my .52cal knight. That charge is equivilant to like 123-125g measured, not sure about all guns but I talked to the guys at knight and they said personally to my face "dont worry about it youll never put it through what we do when testing them, and we've never had one fail" That doesnt mean to go crazy but they made me feel safe shooting a bullet over 300g and also slightly above the 120g charge max

Ive shot a ton of 350, and 375g bullets with a weighed charge of 88g of the blackhorn without any problems out of my .52cal knight. That charge is equivilant to like 123-125g measured, not sure about all guns but I talked to the guys at knight and they said personally to my face "dont worry about it youll never put it through what we do when testing them, and we've never had one fail" That doesnt mean to go crazy but they made me feel safe shooting a bullet over 300g and also slightly above the 120g charge max

Probably along the lines of Hogdon telling people to not shooting 3-50 grain pellets of 777; just covering their hind ends. Lots of old guns out there......

I'm shooting 110 grains of blackhorn with a Shockwave 250 Superglide. Hunted with this setup shotgun and late muzzy last year. I love the stuff. One day in January we had a bad rain/sleet mix and the gun fired with no problems the next day.

My groups were real tight at 100 and thats as far as I shot it.

Just wondering what you guy's have settled on for load's with this stuff?I'm still trying to figure out how much powder to use,I've got the bullet figured out.Also has anyone subjected it moisture on a hunt and had any problem's.This is my first time using it and not sure if it will live up to the hype but I know for sure that it's easier to clean that's for sure.

Just started to work up a load for my TC Encore. Started with 100gr. of Blackhorn209 and a scorpion pt gold bullet (260gr.) with a crush rib sabot at 100 yds. Had some fliers so went down to 90 gr. of Blackhorn209. It liked that real well. Last two shots were 1/2" apart. Need to tweak alittle more as it was 1" right and 1" high. Best combo I have shot with this gun. I have had it 4 years. Real happy so far.

hoofline.gif

If you want some really consistant shooting from that front stuffer try this powder.
stirpot.gif

bpcan.gif

hoofline.gif

Top Bottom