Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blade/Vane Alignment?

NebraskaWhitetail

OK guys, Mr. Newbie Archer here (aka me) needs some help.

I just got finished cutting my first dozen carbon arrows to length and got the inserts glued in. I'm putting 3 blad Muzzy 100 gr broadheads on these for hunting, and the guy here who is teaching me some archery fundamentals told me that for optimum arrow flight, I need to try to align the broadhead blades with the arrow vanes. While this sounds good in theory, I'm wondering if it's really necessary. What would happen if I shot four blade broadheads since my arrows only have three vanes? I guess I'm just a little confused and I was wondering if maybe you guys could tell me if the alignment is really all that critical to good arrow flight. Somehow I just seem to feel like I've been fed a line of bull.

If you spin the arrow and no wobble at the broadhead you're in good shape.Wouldn't worry about aligning broadhead and vanes.

what elkhunter said. i shoot 4 bladed muzzy's (have for years) and they don't line up with my feathers and they fly wonderfully.

I agree with the others here. I always spin test my arrows to make sure there is no wobble, those that have wobble I set aside for practice with field tips.
I then number my arrows and broadheads and shoot them one at a time. This may take a little time to search for the right combination of BH and arrow. However,once I find them, I set these arrows aside for "hunting only". I then only need to replace the blades after I've used one in the field. Everything is set for the life of the arrow or broadhead.

Elkhunter hit the nail on the head! I think there is no reason for the two to line up. Old wise tale. Like they said just give them the spin test and make sure it lines up with the insert perfectly. Good Luck!

Thanks for the help guys. It'll be a slow learning curve, but my goal is to be proficient enough by next fall that I can hunt bow season for the first time here in Nebraska.

Matt

It's good to hear proficiency is a requirement for you, I don't hear that enough from guys getting into the sport. Good job!
applause.gif

Top Bottom