Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blind advice ???????

Cornfed

Bowhunting Addict
Well, I went and bought one of the new Double Bull Import 5 blinds over the weekend. I just could not resist!!! Same dimensions as the T-5 but with some new features..... anyway.

I have always turkey hunted with the scattergun prior to last year, now it is bow only....... I would appreciate any blind tips that you could offer as far as set up (do's and don'ts) and decoy positioning..... I have some awesome places to hunt and I am looking forward to see how effective this blind hunting can be with a bow.
wink.gif

Cornfed,

I think you will really like your blind for bowhunting turkey. It has really put the challenge back in the sport for me. Here are a few of the things I've discovered.

Since I hunt the same farm all the time I eventually have a number of spots set up with shooting lanes cleared. With the shooting windows close to the ground some prior work makes it easier to set up very close to a bird and still be able to get a clear shot when he comes in.

I set the decoy(s) quite close, usually in the 5-10 yard range. Given the choice I like a very close shot. Also the bird(s) doesn't always come all the way in so if the shot is 5-10 yards beyond the decoy he is still close.

Though it may not be necessary I like to brush the blind in a little. Young elm are great for this since they leaf out fairly early and never will make a valuable tree so you're not hurting the future forest. Ohio buckeye also leaves out early if you have that around and again you aren't hurting a valuable timber tree.

I have the blind that has the zip open top. I hate not seeing what is happening so I put a few branches to screen the top then carefully ease my head just high enough to see over the blind top. It makes it easier to spot a bird coming in silently.

I've found that I can shoot through mesh up to 25 yards with virtually no effect on arrow flight. Putting mesh over the windows makes it much harder for the gobbler to see you, especially when you move.

Try to keep as few windows open as possible. You are most visible when opposite windows line up and you are silhouetted.

The blind is really great if you take kids along because they can do some moving without spooking birds. One time I had a bird coming in with my wife, daughter and my daughter's friend all sleeping on the floor of the blind. My daughter never did get the bird shot but it was quite exciting in the blind for a few minutes!

Good hunting!
Old Buck

Old Buck hit the nail on the head with his post! I have one of the T2 blinds and do practically the same thing he's doing. Don't forget a pair of pruning shears or a packable saw to clear shooting lanes though, when you need 'em and don't have 'em it's a pain. Also make sure you practice setting up and taking down your blind so you can do it in minimal amount of time, 15 seconds can mean a lot with a double bull. Take some time and practice shooting out of the blind also, it's a lot different than shooting at a deer from a stand! I have my eye on an Import50 also...just don't know if I can bring myself to buy the foreign made blind. Good luck anyway!

Thanks for the advice guys..... I would be interested to hear more about your decoy setup.... ie hens, jake ..... number used.... positioning (facing the blind, away,etc.)..... do you have trouble hearing birds gobble off in the distance while in the blind....... Have you ever had a bird act nervous around the blind when you knew they could not see you? What about setting up in a relatively open area? ...... I am anxious to try this blind thing out.....
cool.gif

Muddy- you weren't there the other day. I'm not ready to give up the old T2 DB but the display model Hunter View Trophy Den looked really nice- really really nice when the compared to the new DB blinds. What are the pros & cons of each?

Hello Cornfed,

I've had the big birds act nervous around my blind a time or three, sure. But I don't think it is because of the blind -- I think it's the lack of decoy movement over a long time span (sometimes turkeys will hang around for, literally, hours!) Or, in the case of a jake, it may be afraid of getting it's face kicked in by an old tom!

Once in a great while (once a year or so) a turkey will act nervous because, I think, they see me inside my blind. I have a thin-sided Underbrush blind (no black backing) and a turkey can see my silhouette inside if the sun is shinning bright and the blind is pitched in the open. For that reason, I keep my blind in the shade on sunny days -- but put it anywhere on cloudy days (I guess I need a Double Bull, huh?).

What if the sun pops out when a bird is around and I’m pitched in the open, you ask? I’ll just remain still, and move when he’s not looking. I’ve killed lots of birds this way -- but a blind with black backing definitely gives you the most leeway for movement.

Old Buck said something key: keep as many windows closed as possible -- especially those that line up behind you with the one you’ll be looking out -- you want the inside of your blind to be closet dark, if possible, so you can see prey but prey can’t see you -- like an old bass behind a stump.

The vast majority of the time gobblers act like gobblers are: just plain stupid! Some may beg to differ but I’ll stick my neck out and claim that old tom turkey is not the smartest creature in the woods. Note: I am not talking about instincts here! Turkeys surely have scalpel sharp instincts and the ability to avoid danger almost, seemingly, to the point of being clairvoyant!

The lack of turkey smarts allows the hunter an edge if he realizes it. He can place his blind wherever he wants and turkeys will normally walk right on by like it’s not even there -- brushed in, or not brushed in, in my experience. I frequently set up my Underbrush Bowhunter blind in wide open pastures and plowed fields and have yet to see a turkey seem intimidated or afraid of the blind.

On a hunt last year, for instance, a big longbeard came ½ mile -- in a heavy rain -- across a plowed field to get the decoys (my blind was set up in the wide open field). He ended up walking within 3 yards of the front window I was peeking out -- I shot him after he walked on past. On another hunt last year, a big gobbler strutted into view at 20 yards, toward some live hens that were feeding amongst the plastic look-alikes I had in front of me. I almost jumped through the roof when 2 other longbeards gobbled simultaneously from either side of the blind -- at a distance of a few feet! One of the birds actually brushed his tail feathers against the side of the blind! On still another occasion, on the last day of the 4th season last year in fact, a friend shot a big old war beaten gobbler -- he looked like he ran through the prop of a Cessna with so many feathers missing -- from my Underbrush as he waited in the middle of a plowed field. It was mid-day, over 80 degrees and bright and sunny; my friend had to remain motionless to avoid being silhouetted out in the open field but he timed his moves and shot the bird.

Those are just a few examples of some experiences using a blind. I think you’ll find it an indispensable piece of hunting equipment!

Good Hunting….Raven

I did not attend his funeral; but I wrote a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

I haven't spent much time in a blind so I'm soaking all this up like a sponge.
I've bowhunted long enough to realize darkness may become a factor while in a blind. What do you do when you are dealing with first/last light conditions as far as seeing your sight pins while in a blind? Or is this not really a factor? I realize you may just have to let them walk if it's too dark.

Just curious
Pupster

a lighted sight pin will do wonders in a blind. Many can be added to your existing equipment. The blue lights I think are more complimentary to your pins.

I appreciate all of the experience and insight shared guys......... How close to the blind do you generally place your decoys? Do you face them toward the blind? What number and type (ie. jake, hen) do you use? Thanks......
wink.gif

Cornfed,
All the above info is top notch as usual. As far as decoys I don't know if you want to learn from a converted waterfowler but I will stick in my 2¢. I will place anywhere from 1 to 11 decoys (refuge spread) out depending on the time of year. I usually set them from five to fifteen yards from the blind. Place the jake(s) facing you so the tom will hopefully come around to the front of the decoy which will give you a spine shot. Doesn't always work. As far as the 11 decoys I think that birds get use to seeing three decoys together and tend to get rather suspicious after a while so I like to change things up every other hunt. I also mix the brands from BuckWing to Outlaws. Last year we set up on the back side of a hill and a tom came over the hill and I swear his eyes popped out of his head (we had out all 11 decoys). He didn't know what the hell to do. He ended up coming in to about five yards. It was hilarious. He was looking at the motion decoy, the outlaws were disappearing on him there was a jake mounting a hen and he had so much to check out he lost control.
grin.gif

Good Luck. Not long now!

That is hilarious, Limbchicken....... 11 decoys ! Now that is aggressive turkey hunting
wink.gif
..... I have a Jake and 1 hen..... just started using them last year. Never used decoys with the scattergun with great success. The farm that I hunt is loaded with turkeys (50 in a single flock is not uncommon)..... didn't have any luck last year because the Toms were always with hens..... I called in a few hens, but they always got between me and the Toms
madgo_ron.gif
....... I saw a Tom breed a hen on the last day of the season last year
confused.gif
.... I have never observed breeding activity that late in the season before.

pharmer

My vote goes to the Double Bull blinds. I like to have my leg & head room and those T5 or I50's have plenty of it. The other blinds we have just don't give a guy like me the room I want in a blind. My top cam hits in my T2 and I'm looking to convert to a T5 soon...finances and wife permission pending.
wink.gif
I also like the double black backing in the I50's but I REALLY like the new shoot through windows in the prostaffer blinds. The con to a Double Bull...they are heavier compared to other blinds. The weight doesn't come into factor if you have a nice easy walk but in my neck of the woods, regardless of which lot I park in, I have about a 100 yard trek up VERy large hills and the DB can get heavy.

That Trophy Den has a great pattern and for gun hunting it'd be great. For bow hunting it needs something done to it to make it stand up straight and not "slouch", for lack of a better term. Come in again (Tues & Thurs) or give me a buzz at home and I'll get more specific on what I mean by the "slouch" of those blinds. We also just got in a new springsteel blind that is pretty damn good in my opinion. the problem is getting the damn thing to fold back up, long arms help, it seems. Hope this helps.

Cornfed

I place anywhere from 1-8 decoys (only 1 jake ever) around my blind. Like the Limb Chicken said, if you place a jake decoy have it facing toward you so the bird come around in front of it. I usually place all my decoys within 10 yards ensuring a close shot regardless. Another thing to consider is if you hunt in a shared timber. Having a jake decoy close to your blind could be bad if another hunter sneaks up and shoots it. When plants start to bud out I will place 1 or 2 hen decoys so they are actually touching my blind making it look like they are feeding on the foliage. This may seem stupid but 2 years ago I had my blind brushed in and the brush I was using had little tasty flowers on it. One hen reached INTO my window to get a bud that had gotten blown into my blind window. Amazingly enough she didn't spook and kept gobbling down the flowers. It was extremely cool.

Pupster

I find that when I shoot I draw back and then move into the window putting my sight right into the most direct light possible. As long as you have a good light gathering sight you should be fine since most turkeys will be on the roost by the time you can't use your sights. In the morning it may pose aproblem if one flies down early. In January I was in my blind and it was super overcast and snowing pretty hard and I could see my pins with no problems once they got up to the window. Just FYI I'm using a Trophy Ridge Matrix, it glows like mad with minimal light.

Sorry this got so long, just wanted to get everything said and waste a little time before lunch.
wink.gif

Pupster,
I was kinda in the same boat with ya. I love to eat those damn birds. You just have to take the leap of faith man! You don't need a blind. It is nice to have one but you definately can do it without one. Just try it.

I use the scatter gun on the out of state trips (with the exception of Nebraska) and use the bow in Iowa! Give it a shot... I will probably never chase them with a gun again in Iowa.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Pupster

Give it a try, it's a blast. I had killed 2 turkeys each spring from the time I could hunt alone till after college. It wasn't making me excited anymore when I harvested one, now with the bow, each and every turkey that gets close gets me all hot and bothered!! Good luck on your choice, but I suggest the bow!! Besides, you get all 4 seasons to chase them around!!

I always said after I shot 10 turkeys with a shotgun I'd pursue them with a bow. Well, about 25 later I still haven't. All of this talk has really got me thinking about it now.

Pupster

Top Bottom