Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Boat Question for a Rookie

I really want to get a 14-16' jon boat for fishing this spring and running the river this fall. I am looking at boats that don't have the steering wheel and cables. My question is how much does this typically run and is it hard to install. Can you buy a kit for the console, steering wheel, and cables?

honestly, for a boat that size a tiller is your best option. You don't have much room in a 14-16 rig as it is, with a tiller you will have much more room.

I'd go with the tiller too. But you can get the steering part set up pretty easy. Hardest part to find will be a console to mount the wheel on. You can make one out of wood but your adding weight and it would take some work to make one that would hold up for a while. if it's a newer model you may be able to get a console to install but it will cost some bucks. You need the throttle and gear controls too. If your converting a tiller to remote it gets more expensive. Best bet would be to keep searching for what you want.

If you want a console, you are better off buying a boat that already has one. My 16 ft jon has a side console, but a tiller motor would work just as good, and the lighter the boat is, the less HP you need to push it.

tiller is the only way to go. I have a 16ft flatbottom with a 25hp tiller. It did have the stearing but I took it out. If you plan on doing most fishing on the river I would def go with a tiller.

I am a big fan of stick steering up front for cruising rivers. Makes it a ton more easier to look for logs etc. Plus it is easier to be right up front to tie off with a brush hook when pulling into snags by yourself. I personally like it more than a tiller but does take up a little room. I guess it is all what you want out of it.

I built this console for my boat a few years ago. Bought all the steering cables, rack and pinion steering system and all that at iboats.com. I have a 14'9'' Lund V bottom and I like the console, but if I were getting a flatbottom or john boat for the rivers, I think I would want a tiller. I mostly fish lakes in my boat, so the side console for me works great.

Here's a pic

401488880.jpg

flat bottom boats

don't know what river you plan to fish but i live on the Missouri in CB a smaller river would be fine for a 14 or 16' on the river here an 18 to 20' with a wide beam is the best , tiller will work in either situation, tiller will get the room you WILL need, get the biggest boat you can afford that way you won't have to get another one for a while, i wouldn't go under 18' not matter what unless the river is small, stability on any water is the most important factor i would stay away from tracker only my opinion because of past owner ship of a 2072 grizzly if possible go BIG you will understand if you go small. also go with all welded , rivet's will leak after awhile.

Top Bottom