Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

bobcat hunting advise

gunrunr

Life Member
I have several Covert cams that send me pictures on my cell phone as it takes them. In the last week on one of my farms I have gotten Bobcat pictures at midday, with as many as 3 in the shot at once. I really want to go hunt one but am not sure of best method.
I have a little .204 that really wants a first taste of blood I could use and I also have a FoxPro Caller ( but what sound and how loud?)
Maybe a mouthcall is better?
Lots of squirrels in the area and get rabbit pics on cam as well.
Or am I better off sitting quietly in a treestand in that spot and watching?

Any help or advise is welcome

Isn't there a state limit of cats that can be taken? I'm asking because I don't know.

Just read the regs. Takes about as much time as it takes to post your question.

Here is the quick card:
http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/huntingregs_card.pdf

Clearly shows the bag limit and possession limit is 1 for bobcat.
"Only one bobcat and two otters are allowed per season per licensed furharvester, either hunted or trapped."

Here is the full which will show in more detail if needed:
http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/huntingregs.pdf

And, I'm sure "I see this rule in the regulation on page X" will go much further with a DNR officer, than "A guy on IW told me it was OK".

I have several Covert cams that send me pictures on my cell phone as it takes them. In the last week on one of my farms I have gotten Bobcat pictures at midday, with as many as 3 in the shot at once. I really want to go hunt one but am not sure of best method. I have a little .204 that really wants a first taste of blood I could use and I also have a FoxPro Caller ( but what sound and how loud?) Maybe a mouthcall is better? Lots of squirrels in the area and get rabbit pics on cam as well. Or am I better off sitting quietly in a treestand in that spot and watching? Any help or advise is welcome

I would try rabbit distress on the fox pro. Start out soft and work your way up. Make sure to keep checking your surroundings. Bobcats will usually come in through cover and sit and watch before they fully commit.

Keep the sounds going constantly for cats, and plan to sit 30-45 minutes at a set compared to the typical 20 for dogs. I'd go with anything "birdy" on your fox pro, high pitched and squealing. Like woodpecker distress, baby cottontails, etc. You get the picture.

Keep the sounds going constantly for cats, and plan to sit 30-45 minutes at a set compared to the typical 20 for dogs. I'd go with anything "birdy" on your fox pro, high pitched and squealing. Like woodpecker distress, baby cottontails, etc. You get the picture.

Gunny nailed it

Gunny nailed it

ZiDnfvNB4PjVu.gif

I have several Covert cams that send me pictures on my cell phone as it takes them. In the last week on one of my farms I have gotten Bobcat pictures at midday, with as many as 3 in the shot at once. I really want to go hunt one but am not sure of best method.
I have a little .204 that really wants a first taste of blood I could use and I also have a FoxPro Caller ( but what sound and how loud?)
Maybe a mouthcall is better?
Lots of squirrels in the area and get rabbit pics on cam as well.
Or am I better off sitting quietly in a treestand in that spot and watching?

Any help or advise is welcome

Tweety bird on fox pro. Cats can't resist.

I have a mouth call that supposed to sound like a female bobcat, it requires biting pressure while you blow it (If a snide comment gets throwed in here it better be a good one) and is hard to use. Once you get it down it is the money call. Sounds like the alley cat queen set on fire.

Sent from my iPod touch using IW

Top Bottom