Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bobcat Season

Ghost

Life Member
Public Meeting to Discuss Proposed Changes to Furbearer Seasons
Posted: May 15, 2007

DES MOINES - The Iowa Department of Natural Resources will host a public meeting to accept comments on an amended rule that would, in part, allow for a limited bobcat hunting and trapping season. A copy of the proposed changes is available online at www.iowadnr.com/nrc/07apr/11.pdf.

The proposal would open a season in the following counties: Adams, Appanoose, Clarke, Davis, Decatur, Des Moines, Fremont, Henry, Jefferson, Lee, Lucas, Mills, Monroe, Montgomery, Page, Ringgold, Taylor, Union, Van Buren, Wapello and Wayne. The quota for the total bobcat harvest is 150 from the above counties. The daily bag and season possession limit is one [1] bobcat per hunter/trapper.

The proposed season would be from Nov. 3 through Jan. 31, or until the quota is reached.

The formal public hearing on the amended furbearer rule is scheduled from 10 a.m. to noon, May 30, in the fourth floor conference room west, Wallace State Office Bldg., in Des Moines. The other major change includes closing the beaver trapping season on April 1, instead of April 15.

The DNR will also accept written comments on the proposal. Written comments may be sent through the mail to Wildlife Bureau Chief, Iowa Department of Natural Resources, Wallace State Office Bldg., 502 E. 9th Street, Des Moines, IA 50319-0034. Comments must be submitted on or before May 30, 2007.

Good info Ghost...can't get that link to work but the important thing is to write in and support it.

Here's some updated info from the recent NRC meeting in regards to other DNR programs such as HUSH and turkey seasons.

Gonna run a little trap line by those deer feeders this fall Ghost?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gonna run a little trap line by those deer feeders this fall Ghost?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That deer feeder is in my barn...I only feed after shotgun season until March.

I would like to have a big one come by my deer stand in the Fall though if the season is opened. Would make a cool mount!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to have a big one come by my deer stand in the Fall though if the season is opened. Would make a cool mount!

[/ QUOTE ]

You gonna throw a trap at him out of your stand, Ghost?
grin.gif

The way I read it was trapping only, no arrow flingers. Sorry guys, you can't shoot em yet. Come to KS if ya wanna stick one.
cool.gif

I would like just one bobcat in a full body mount. I have had them under my tree when bow hunting a number of times. I want one bad!

I am a hobby trapper and I would like to connect with one also. Alot of cats have been turned into DNR that might have well been have been mounted or sold as fur.I wonder,concidering the value of cats at the present where that fur goes?
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I am a hobby trapper and I would like to connect with one also. Alot of cats have been turned into DNR that might have well been have been mounted or sold as fur.I wonder,concidering the value of cats at the present where that fur goes?
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Belly goes to fur coats, back goes to lining of coats and garmets.

Awesome mount Shredder! I've had several in rifle range before I got my furharvesters license. Now that I have it, I've only seen one and he wouldn't present me a shot. But this fall I am determined to get a bobcat and a red fox on my wall.

Maybe Im the only one on this, but I kind of hope they dont pass the season. They are just one of the animals that I think are awesome to see in the woods. I hope there gets to be more of them around, it would be nice to see them on a more regular basis.

I'm with you there, Fred.

I've never seen one in the wild. I might feel different if there were many around where I hunt, though. Then again, I've let coyotes walk while gun hunting. I would like to get ONE coyote with a bow: might say the same for bobcat, some day.

According to the DNR the cat pop is expanding by 3 to 7% annually, there is deffinately a harvestable surplus of 150 animals. Heck more than that are caught as incedentals. Why let them all just sit in a DNR freezer?

No reason not to harvest a few of these renewable resources.

People said the same about otters last year, there is no shortage of otters and no shortage of bobcats in the zone scheduled for harvest. They're just not creatures that hang out where you see them everyday.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe Im the only one on this, but I kind of hope they dont pass the season. They are just one of the animals that I think are awesome to see in the woods. I hope there gets to be more of them around, it would be nice to see them on a more regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fred, if you begin to see them on a regular basis they are probably getting over populated in that area.

I totally agree with you that they are enjoyable to watch from a deer stand in the Fall,

however the nature of these cats makes sightings rare even in areas with higher populations.

I also question their preditation on young turkey poults. Cats are awesome hunters as you know.

We have a lot of Bobcats in SE Iowa and I personally feel that our turkey numbers have decreased in the past few years.

I highly doubt that our DNR is opening a season if their population numbers haven't been studied and

documented as showing there is in fact a harvestable surplus of Bobcats.

I thought it was really neat the first time I saw one over seven years ago. Now its seems fairly common.

They are a cool animal, no doubt. I get trails cam pictures of them every year now, as do many others in our county.

837puddytat.JPG

Top Bottom