Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Boots rubber vs leather

ironwood

I am considering a purchase of some rubber boots for bow hunting but am struggling with the loss of comfort I expect I'll have. Also I am not completely convinced that the a advantage of rubber is necessary. Let me know your thoughts. I have always whore leather boots for all hunting and change does come hard for me.

Ironwood... I am making the swith this year. I purchased the LaCrosse Alpha Burly Series and love them. If you get the right size I dont think there will be a loss of comfort. I put mine on straight out of the box and was surprised how comfortable they were. Also they are very light. I think you will be very happy with the conversion. As for scent control I will have to leave that up to someone else. Just my
2 cents.

I too made the switch a few months ago. I bought the Alpha Burly as well, they weight about 3-4 pounds, and it feels to me like you walking on air. I never believed anybody about how comfortable until I tried them on for myself. The reason I chose the Lacrosse Alpha Burly is because of all the great press I have read on this site. They cost approximately $90
grin.gif

I think that rubber boots are just as comfortable as my old leather boots and would highly recomend them. I wear the Mad Dog 1000 gram rubber boots and think they are just great. They are a bit heavy, but that doesn't bother me for bowhunting. They were cheaper than the Lacrosse boots too.

I used the Alpha Burly Sport this past fall and love them....my buddy is a dealer for Lacrosse and says they are coming out with insulated version of the Alpha Burly Sport this year.....1000 gram thinsulate

Alpha Burly 1000

Bought the Alpha Burly Sport this spring- same experience as Shredder. Best rubber boot I've worn for comfort. I doubt any rubber boot will provide anything near the support of a good leather boot but these sure were comfy.

Iron, switch you won't regret it. As far as sent, I think it makes a huge difference. I've been using rubber boots for about five years or more and once I made the switch there was no looking back. I saw immediate results with deer walking right up the same path I walked to get to my stand and never picking me up.

I tried on the Burly ATS with 1200 grams of thinsulate at a local store then ordered them from Cabelas because I was ordering some other things, to be like Limb.
busted.gif
I'll let you all know as the season progresses how I feel about the change. Thanks for the input.

So if I get a pair of these boots, what level of thinsulate am I going to want? They would mostly be used for bow season, so the heavier ones could get pretty warm. However, I would like to use them in the late muzzleloader season, and it gets a tad bit chilly then. So, would the 800 gram be enough, and not too much in the fall ?

I want to be just like Limb when I grow up, too.
grin.gif
But these boots are too big. Size 6 is the smallest they have. I think I would need a mens size 5 to fit me, but the 6 might work if I wore a lot of socks, unless they were already cut big to allow for several sock layers???
confused.gif
I already have two pairs of boots that are way too big, don't need another one.
frown.gif

I switched to a leather/gortex boot and will never go back to rubber. I think it is a myth that rubber boots are scent free. The pores in the rubber will let scent out. With rubbers your feet will sweat more which makes more scent. I like a good set of light hiking boots. Much more enjoyable to walk in and climb a tree. Mine only have 200 grams of insulate in them but when I get to the stand I have a pair of Artic Shield boot insulators I put on. It is litterally impossible to get cold in those things. I got both feet wet one morning before hunting and by the time I got to the stand my feet were covered in ice. Ten minutes after having the boot insulators on, I had steam coming out of my boot. My boots sit in a tub of dirt year round and the only time they come out is when I hunt. I have had a significant decrease in deer smelling my trail where I come in.

when i was growing up, we always had rubber boots (lacross, redball) and my feet would sweat, and i couldn't get the damn things off.

I've tried rubber boots not the Alpha Burlys yet,but I seem to always hunt in leather just cant beat the comfort.Only time I wear rubber boots anymore is if I have to like in calf lot or pouring cement.

Top Bottom