Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bow bird down finally!

Khughes2345

PMA Member
Well after 4 years of trying, I finally let an arrow(s) fly. I've always just bought an archery tag and got out when I could, but these last 2 years I have actually been a bit more serious about killing one hopefully. It finally all came together Saturday morning in less than 30 minutes! A good friend of mine lives on a farm about 10 minutes from my house, he doesn't hunt at all but he lets me know what the deer and turkey are up to. He told me all last week there was 6-8 birds out in the open field when he left for work around 7, and one "had all its feathers out". I hunted Wednesday and Thursday afternoon and didn't see or hear a thing. Ended up goin with a friend Friday morning and heard gobbles as soon as we got in the blind around 515. 15 minutes later 5 hens and a tom flew down about 100 yards west of us and the tom strutted around for 5 minutes and went over a hill and crossed the road and the hunt was over. Afterwards we moved the blind to the middle of the alfalfa field by some bales and knew Saturday would be the day.

Wake up Saturday a little late and get to the farm and set up by 530. As I'm setting the decoys out I heard a couple close gobbles and think to myself we're in business! 10 minutes later a hen flys down within 40 yards of the blind and the tom is 30 yards behind her. I let out a couple soft clucks with the slate call and she saw the decoys and came in another 20 yards and stared at them for a while and the tom was still a ways back struttin around and gobbling his head off. The hen finally decided she wanted to take a closer look at the dekes so I threw my call to the ground and grabbed my bow. As soon as she got to the decoys the Tom saw the funky chicken and came in on a dead sprint. He strutted around the funky then decided he needed a beatdown. He was broadside and I took the shot and saw feathers fly. He jumped up like nothin happened and strutted around the feeder hen a few times so I nocked another arrow and gave him the good ole Texas heart shot. He waddled off 75 yards to the timber and stood there for 10 minutes. I called my buddy I hunted with Friday morning and he said sit tight I'll be there in half hour. As soon as he gets there we find my first arrow buried in the dirt with 4 wing feather completely chopped off and find the 2nd arrow a little further away with no blood on it at all. We look around where the shot was and find some good blood. so we head to the timber where i last saw him and pick up the blood trail and follow it for another 75 yards and there he is holed up in some thick stuff. I was questioning myself whether I shoulda ran after him when he limped off, but am glad I waited. I can't blood trail worth a crap being colorblind so having another set of eyes was a big help.

It was an awesome hunt, where everything came together for once. Just thought I'd share with everyone on here since my fiancé is tired of hearing about it

20 lbs 7/8 spurs 9 1/8 beard

Last edited:
Very cool! Sounds like an exciting hunt. Congrats on your first bow bird....I'm sure it's the first of many to come! :way:

Top Bottom