Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bow Hunt Zone 4 as a Non Resident 3 years in arow

THEBAD

One of our neighboring land owners from out of state has bow hunted zone 4 , three years in a row. Anyone else have that kind of luck getting a non resident tag. When I spoke to our DNR officer about it they said maybe they are only hunting does and I never heard another word....makes you wonder why you need rattling antlers, grunt calls and decoys to hunt does....but to each there own.

Its no wonder we have poaching problems in south west iowa...Rant over

I know I can't draw bow tags every year for zone 5. Any chance he has leased it or has friends or residents on there until he does draw?

Getting Drawn in Zone 4 for Shotgun is about every 2 years or so.
The thing is that Archery Buck tags are limited to 35% of the total Non-resident buck tags allowed. And there are quite a few more applicants for archery tags than gun tags.
Sounds fishy to me.
Is he in the Afton area?

Thought they got rid of non resident archery doe tags?

True, he could not be hunting does with a bow unless he drew the any deer tag. I would say it is impossible to draw 3 years in a row (archery) in zone 4.

Maybe he is trying to grunt in a coyote?:rolleyes:

My grandpa owns land here in zone 4 with us. Hes from Pennsylvania. I have two uncles and him that come out and hunt. This is the first year in 3 years that they havent all drawn for shotgun. So Id say it can happen.

Last edited:
My grandpa owns land here in zone 4 with us. Hes from Pennsylvania. I have two uncles and him that come out and hunt. This is the first year in 3 years that they havent all drawn for shotgun. So Id say it can happen.
Its usually alot easier to draw a gun tag than it is a bow tag.

The only thing I can think of ......as a non resident land owner could he be getting a landowner doe tag for the archery season ?

I know the neighborhood...you can normally kill a a doe in about thirty minutes worth of hunting out of any stand in that area...its almost impossible to setup anywhere and not see deer

The only thing I can think of ......as a non resident land owner could he be getting a landowner doe tag for the archery season ?

I know the neighborhood...you can normally kill a a doe in about thirty minutes worth of hunting out of any stand in that area...its almost impossible to setup anywhere and not see deer

There is no landowner doe tag for archery that I know of?
If so, I'd be buying one or more. Definitely is a NR landowner shotgun doe tag, but not archery (unless I am missing something)?

Call your local CO again and ask him how it is possible. He will give you the answer. If the guy is claiming residency like many NR out are then the CO will have the authority to do something.

Last edited:
I actually know of 1 guy that has drew a ML tag 5 years in a row. Another guy from MN has drew a shotgun tag 9 years in a row on one of the farms that I hunt as well.

Another individual on the neighboring farm says he has drawn a bow tag 3 years in a row as well (last year was year 3, didn't draw one this year). I have no reason not to believe him, he is a straight and by the book guy.

One of our neighboring land owners from out of state has bow hunted zone 4 , three years in a row. Anyone else have that kind of luck getting a non resident tag. When I spoke to our DNR officer about it they said maybe they are only hunting does and I never heard another word....makes you wonder why you need rattling antlers, grunt calls and decoys to hunt does....but to each there own.

Its no wonder we have poaching problems in south west iowa...Rant over

Every state runs their preference points/ bonus points different.

A quick read looks like Iowa uses the preference points to split the drawing up into different pools. They start with drawing in the highest preference point pool. If there are still tags available after everybody in that pool got a license they move on to the next lowest pool.

With this type of system there could be years where an applicant has a 0% chance of drawing. Many states publish the specific data for the draws which should tell you how many tags are available after each pool drawing. Even if they don't it should be available to the public if asked for. Either way it would be possible to determine if it is statistically possible for someone with 0 points to draw.

Friend of mine did not draw tag in zone 4 with 2 Pts this year , so it is not possible to have gotten one with less Pts than that.

Friend of mine did not draw tag in zone 4 with 2 Pts this year , so it is not possible to have gotten one with less Pts than that.

There you go, should be enough to move forward on something if you wanted to. I would take it a step further and get the draw data myself to have proof that it isn't possible and show/explain this to the DNR. I'm sure they are plenty busy this time of year and calling and saying "I heard this..." or "someone told me that...." probably won't make it to the top of the priority list.

But, from that point its up to the IADNR to decide if they want to look up this guys name and see what kind of tag, if any, he has been getting. Could go many different directions depending on that.

There you go, should be enough to move forward on something if you wanted to. I would take it a step further and get the draw data myself to have proof that it isn't possible and show/explain this to the DNR. I'm sure they are plenty busy this time of year and calling and saying "I heard this..." or "someone told me that...." probably won't make it to the top of the priority list.

But, from that point its up to the IADNR to decide if they want to look up this guys name and see what kind of tag, if any, he has been getting. Could go many different directions depending on that.

I would think coming to Iowa with the intent of breaking the law by claiming residency when you don't obviously live here. Havesting a deer which would become a federal charge with high fines and loss of hunting priviledges in dozens of States should be fairly high on their priority list.

Are you certain he is hunting. I knew a NR who owned property in Iowa who would come during the rut to ensure residents were not trespassing, but also spent time rattling, grunting and videotaping his encounters. He has since sold his property and moved on, but that's what he did to enjoy his property when he didn't draw.

Last edited:
I would think coming to Iowa with the intent of breaking the law by claiming residency when you don't obviously live here. Havesting a deer which would become a federal charge with high fines and loss of hunting priviledges in dozens of States should be fairly high on their priority list.

But did he break the law? Are they going to spend the money to try and prove what his "intent" is? There needs to be some proof that a law was broke.

I agree that its important if a law is being broken, but based on the original post he already talked to the DNR about it and he reported they weren't too concerned.
From that my thoughts are they are very busy, understaffed and might not have the resources to look into every report they get that the neighbor is getting too many buck tags. If you could provide them with something more they might look into it further.

Did the neighbor tell him he drew a buck tag 3 consecutive years or did he see pics or kills from the past two years. Or is the neighbor just out hunting his property.

They need something to go off of... were doe tags available for purchase every year? Going to the woods with a doe tag, grunt tubes, and rattling antlers doesn't make him a criminal. A lot of people say the experience is what makes the hunt and the kill is just a bonus. If I couldn't get a buck tag I would still like to be out and experience and learn from the encounters to better prepare myself for that 3rd or 5th year I do get drawn for a buck tag.

BUT from the quick read I did about 2012 non-resident deer hunting, antlerless only licenses are not available for nonresidents during bow season. Is this also the case for 2010 and 2011? If so, the DNR officer is not aware of this because he mentioned he could be doe hunting. So it seems like showing him proof that obtaining a deer tag (buck or doe) for bow season in unit 4 is not possible to do for 3 consecutive years might help him realize this should be looked into.

Last edited:
Guys I believe no where has anybody brought up the Governor Tag option! If he is promoting Iowa Deer somehow he can get a tag like others do! He doesnt have to video the hunts per say but could he be a writer?

Top Bottom