Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bow shooting question

blake

Life Member
I have a Trophy Ridge bow sight that has a level bubble on it.

When I shoot my bow with the bubble center of the level mark my arrows all strike the target left and slightly low of where I want to impact the target.

If I twist my wrist slightly to the right thus making the bubble go off level to the left, I can hit center of target where I want to with every arrow I shot.

I shot 20 arrows this afternoon shooting one arrow the one way and the next arrow the other way. Every shot using the alternating styles struck the target consistently as I explained above.

Now I guess if I am shooting well with the slight twist of wrist then so what.

But I would like your input as to why you think this is happening.

Blake - sounds like you need to either move your site low and left, or place your bow against a door jamb that is perfectly level up and down, then check your bow sight to see if it is level. You might have to adjust your sight.
Good Luck

Blake... ignore the bubble. hopefully you have practiced enough to have your hold and follow through conistant shot to shot. If you kant the bow a bit,( which most of us do to some degree) as long as you do it the same shot to shot, it won't make a difference in your groups. Having a level on your bow makes the process of executing a shot more complicated than it needs to be.

Maybe your torquing the bow when you hold the bubble on center?

One thing that you might try is paper tuning. Perhaps your arrow rest is off a little bit. Just a thought.

sounds to me like it's more of an arrow rest problem, but one things for sure i wouldn't worry a bit about that level, it's basically useless, the only time that should really be used is while shooting on a hillside, because your mostly off balance when on a hillside.

sounds like the sight is slightly off center. when you old the bow at full draw, are the pins all in one single, thin row? or are you seeing a little bit of all the pins? loosen the top and bottom screws where the sight attaches to the mounting bracket, and either pull the sight slightly towards you, or push away, until pins line up, so you see one pin, with all the dots in a row

I still think that your sight is out of whack. If it were my sight I would place it up against a level door jamb, and see if your sight housing is level. You may need to make some adjustments to correct this. If your sight is not square and level then your shots will not be accurate. That is why you are hitting low and left when you hold it level, and hit much better when you cant the bow to compensate. If you shoot longer yardages you wil see this greatly increase. Like Teeroy said, you can also adjust the sight housing in and out to make them line up. The best way to do this is to use a plumb bob in your garage. Draw your bow back to full draw and keep it on the plumb bob line. You will need to adjust your sight to line your pins up with the line. I always do these procedures before setting any pins on the sight. Best to get them out of the way first. Try to find someone with a Hooter Shooter to really dial it in. Good Luck.

Thanks for the info gentlemen.

I am shooting well right now by using a slight cant so guess I will wait until after bow season to try and correct the problem.
smile.gif

Blake,

What you explained is exactly what one would expect to see when canting their bow . . . it's sounds like your sighted in for off center shots (canting your bow). I wouldn't recommend this because I think you will find your 30, 40, 50 and so on will all hit off center. The only way to true up the windage is to shoot level.

Good hunting,
Chris

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't recommend this because I think you will find your 30, 40, 50 and so on will all hit off center. The only way to true up the windage is to shoot level.

[/ QUOTE ]

OneCam 30 yards is my max shooting distance. I prefer 20-25 yards, I have practiced a great deal at 30 yds and under and feel confident that I can hit where I want to at that range. I will work on the problem after bow season.

Did I mention that I need to practice my range estimation! I missed a really big 8 point (150+) last Monday night. He can in from an unexpected direction (down wind). When I saw him I thought he was further out than he actually was.

I had my range finder in my pack but I hadn't used it to range any landmarks in the direction the buck came in from. I have been bow hunting for years......I should have known better, always expect the unexpected.

Top Bottom