Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

bow sighting question

Danno

PMA Member
I got a new bow for Christmas and my son and I are going to share using it for the time being. He sighted it in, standard three pin horizontal. at 10, 20 and 30 yards. When I shot it it was consistently 6-8 inches to the right at 20 yards. I visually aligned the pins to the line of the arrow when on the rest and string and now it shoots right on. But, my son now shoots 6-8 inches to the right. We marked the adjustment and can make the change depending on who used the bow, but the question is how is this possible? We are using a peep sight. I don't understand how you can look through the same little hole and see it so different. One thing, I wear glasses and my son doesn't. Could that be it? I'm new to a compound bow. Used a recurve years ago.

the bow will indeed shoot different for the both of you. He may hold his head slightly different, his draw may be slightly shorter and his grip may be a low one compared to yours. Alot of variables. I would have thought that he would have been shooting to the left after your adjustment???? Move the pin the direction your arrow is heading. If it is shooting right, move it right.

I find that to be the case also when I shoot my sons bow or vise versa. I believe it all comes down to form, I don't know what else it could be. You'd think when looking through the same peep & centering the pins it would be on like a gun but it doesn't work that way. If you have an extra sight set one up for each of you & swap them out when you switch shooters.

It would be best for each of you to have a bow that fits you. Very hard to share a bow during the rut when deer are really moving. That and you will be more accurate.

Do what 203ntyp said. Get two sets of sights. That way there is no room for error when you adjust them each time. Besides, you'll need a sight when you buy another bow.

I used to do it when I shot indoors on the Techno Hunt range. I hated adjusting my sights every time I went so I set up a second set just for the game. It worked very well.

I agree with what 203 said. Form has A LOT to do with it.... Think about all the things that go into a shot with a bow. Consistant anchor point, proper release, bow hand position on the grip, bow arm position at release, back tension during the shot, follow-through, presence...or lack of, bow torque, presence or lack of, kant in the bow during release, proper match of the bow to your draw length ect, ect,ect.... Way too many variables to consider and hope to have the pins set for two different shooters....all shooters shoot differently....not to mention differences in facial dimentions, which is the reason most people can't anchor someone else's bow where they normally would and hope to have a proper sight picture through the peep. Two set of sights sounds like a great idea.

Top Bottom