Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bow Sling

Wondering if anyone uses a bow sling for carrying in to the stand, or possibly to keep your bow hanging on you at the ready while in the stand, instead of hanging on a hanger. Briefly looked at a few, and looks like there are several styles out there. Any that you guys like? Pros? Cons?

Not meaning wrist sling here.

NAP Apache bow sling is nice for carrying in/out if you have a long ways to go on a clear trail. I used it quite a bit when out elk hunting and walking on a pack trail. Once you get in the timber or are no longer on a trail, they are kind of worthless though trying to navigate through brush and such. It goes on and off easily with the buckles.

I also have the primos sling that covers the strings and cams. I use that moreso for protection if it's riding around in the back of a truck or on a 4wheeler. I prefer the NAP sling for actually walking.

I don't know about using a sling for sitting in a stand. Doesn't really seem there could be any advantage over putting it on a hanger?

I know we are not talking about the same item, but in similar concept, my backpack has carrier straps on it for bow or gun. If I'm walking to or from a stand outside of shooting hours I will use it. Otherwise the bow is in my hand for those just in case moments. I don't think I would ever put my bow on my pack or in a sling while walking during shooting hours. But as far as convenience goes, yes it's nice to have for a long walk. It also allows me to climb into a stand and not worry about a tow rope.

NAP Apache bow sling is nice for carrying in/out if you have a long ways to go on a clear trail. I used it quite a bit when out elk hunting and walking on a pack trail. Once you get in the timber or are no longer on a trail, they are kind of worthless though trying to navigate through brush and such. It goes on and off easily with the buckles.

I also have the primos sling that covers the strings and cams. I use that moreso for protection if it's riding around in the back of a truck or on a 4wheeler. I prefer the NAP sling for actually walking.

I don't know about using a sling for sitting in a stand. Doesn't really seem there could be any advantage over putting it on a hanger?

I noticed some hang the bow with strings down, which would be a concern in brush. I like the Primos for the protection, but I think it would be cumbersome to take off quickly if needed. I saw a few that were like one-point tactical slings, that either hooked to the D-loop or just hooked around the string. Not sure about wear on the D-loop or string while walking with these, but they looked like they might be useful in keeping your bow closer (hanging by your body) while in the stand, which could lead to less movement if you need to grab it quick. I usually have mine in a holder by my knee while sitting, so I can grab it without moving my whole body. While standing, I just have to reach down a little if I'm facing away from the tree. If I'm turned in the tree, I obviously have to turn to grab it. Obviously on the D-loop connection type, you would have to disconnect before you could get your release on. I think I saw one that you could actually have the bow hanging by your side and pull up draw back/shoot with the sling still connected. Would definitely need to see that in use before trying it, and not sure what it might do for added noise.

I have used the primos sling and it actually comes of quick and quiet in the moment of truth. Plus it protects the strings and cables like said. It's worth it. JM2C

I have had several of the primos. They don't last and nothing beats having your bow at the ready at alll times.

Top Bottom