Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

bow strings

It seems that I'm on a every two year swap on strings. But I wax my string religously and ALWAYS check for anytype of fraying. From cam to cam I always check. I guess it all depends on how much you wax your string and ultimately how much you shoot.

Xtec Shooter, summed it up pretty well, but there was one thing that I'd like to add - when you do apply wax to your bowstring & cables, lightly work the wax in with a small piece of leather. This slight friction of moving the leather up and down the string will help the wax reach the inner strands of your strings & cables, thus further prolonging the life of your string.

One other thing that I would like to mention is that from time to time, check for any signs of separation of your serving. The sharp bends around the cam(s), or if you happen to shoot directly of the string, opposed to using some sort of loop, are two of the more prevelant areas for serving separation. And even if you are shooting some type of string loop, it doesn't hurt to remove your loop periodically to check for any separation that may lie underneath the knots of your loop - a few stock strings will have serving loose enough where you can actually shift it with just your fingers!

If all of this is caught soon enough, these areas can be re-served or repaired without any serious damage to your strings and/or cables.

Do you take the string off the bow to wax it? Or just wax the parts of the string you can get to?

And why are we up at this hour? Me, I'm working.

The 'Bonker

Bonker, in most situations its not completely necessary that you remove the string from your bow to apply string wax. You're only wanting to apply wax to the bare strands of the string, not the serving itself. However, there are a few single-cam bows on the market today that have eliminated the end serving around its idler wheel to gain additional arrow speed. In this case, you WOULD want to put this bow into a press and wax the section of strands that lies in the tracks of your idler wheel.

And to answer that last question, well, I'll point the finger in few directions - the combination of a mild case of insomnia(self-diagnosed), and homemade anchilladas with entirely too much liquid smoke has kept me up all night... So while stumbling back from one of my many trips to relieve myself of some of my own "liquid smoke", I thought I'd do a little web browsing until things settled down a bit.
frown.gif

Now aren't you glad that you asked?
grin.gif

Ahhhh yes, the old nocturnal capsacian induced bathroom trots. Been there done that and I'll do it again. If it burns goin in its gonna burn goin out. COME ON ICE CREAM!!!!

The 'Bonker

Oh yeah, thanks for the bow info.

If you have an old bow string you can use a strand of it to wax with as well, or a piece of dental floss will work too. It seems to work the wax into your string better than just using your fingers.

Top Bottom