Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bow upgrades and trade-ins

I have insured several bow shops and have seen the cost of those bare bows. I've also bought my last two bows at cost. Two different bow makers and one was 100% mark up and the other was 75%.

Im not doubting that what you are thinking in your head is correct, I just dont believe the your math is correct.

An $800ish retail Bow typically cost $600-$650 to the dealer... Unless things have drastically changed in two years.

I buy a new bow about every 5 years they usually don't advance enough technologically in 1 or 2 years to make it worth while.

gundog870 said:
Im not doubting that what you are thinking in your head is correct, I just dont believe the your math is correct.

An $800ish retail Bow typically cost $600-$650 to the dealer... Unless things have drastically changed in two years.

One bow sold for 800 new. I purchased for 450.
Other bow sold for 500 and I bought for 202.50.
Mathews flagship bows were 450-550 cost to the dealer selling for 780-850.

This is why the flagship bows are pushed so hard. The cost to make isn't much different than the lowered end model. Margins are through the roof. That's also why the true bow guys will always say you get more bow in a lesser model for the price.

Flagships are nice, but your buying a name versus performance. I.E do you really think a carbon bow is worth that much for money? Does it shoot faster, draw smoother, less hand shock. No it just weighs a few ounces less, but you pay a few hundred more!

Two different bow makers and one was 100% mark up and the other was 75%.

These numbers are no where near accurate and greatly exagerated. I've been in the archery business for over 20 years and you are way off base. Markup is no where even remotely close to the numbers you give. I'm lucky to get a 20-25% margin and when you take out anything at all for overhead it shrinks trememdously.

jjohnson said:
Hoosier you been smokn crack lately? :drink2:

Hey all I know is what I bought my bows for and what I insured the inventory for based on a cost new valuation. Insurance isn't based off of msrp when you insure inventory otherwise you allow for a profit to be made in the event of a loss. I insured the bows for what the dealers paid for them. The Mathews dealer was 450 per bow and the Hoyt dealer was 500. I was also instructed that the cost new does not vary greatly between bows.

Could they have lied to me, yeah I guess but that doesn't explain the values I bought my bear and elite at.

Dealers do not sell bows like groceries, therefore their profits need to reflect that.

I've been an Elite dealer since the company was 2years old. Always been a platinum dealer. They lied if they said their bows cost less than $600 period. There's enough false information in the world today so I just want to straighten this bit out.

Hey all I know is what I bought my bows for and what I insured the inventory for based on a cost new valuation. Insurance isn't based off of msrp when you insure inventory otherwise you allow for a profit to be made in the event of a loss. I insured the bows for what the dealers paid for them. The Mathews dealer was 450 per bow and the Hoyt dealer was 500. I was also instructed that the cost new does not vary greatly between bows.

Could they have lied to me, yeah I guess but that doesn't explain the values I bought my bear and elite at.

Dealers do not sell bows like groceries, therefore their profits need to reflect that.

Your numbers are off by well over $200 - either someone fed you a line of BS or your are feeding everyone here a bunch of it. Bow prices also vary a lot - huge dollar difference between top and bottom end bows. I read into a bunch of your thread history, you look like a "pot stirrer" to me - apparently you just like stirring up controversy. People here don't like being lied to - please change your attitude or stay away. I encourage everyone reading this to read into hoosierhunter post history - I think the truth will speak for itself.

jjohnson said:
I've been an Elite dealer since the company was 2years old. Always been a platinum dealer. They lied if they said their bows cost less than $600 period. There's enough false information in the world today so I just want to straighten this bit out.

2009 GT500 bought new for 450.00. Maybe I just got dumb lucky then.

2009 GT500 bought new for 450.00. Maybe I just got dumb lucky then.

Did you buy the bow in 2011, cause that sounds about right then.

I have several really good friends in the archery business and know a few of the guys on this website and they are all saying the same thing, 20-25% markup tops on high end bows. Not sure where you are getting the data you have but it is dead wrong.

gunrunr said:
Your numbers are off by well over $200 - either someone fed you a line of BS or your are feeding everyone here a bunch of it. Bow prices also vary a lot - huge dollar difference between top and bottom end bows.

I went back over my numbers and They may be a touch off since I'm thinking of 2010/2011 when I insured my last bow shop.

Aren't the Mathews creed and chill about 650 dealer cost now? Also is Mathews still offering a discount depending on how many purchased?

So at $900 that would be approximately a 40% markup prior to any other dealer discounts.

gunrunr said:
I read into a bunch of your thread history, you look like a "pot stirrer" to me - apparently you just like stirring up controversy. People here don't like being lied to - please change your attitude or stay away. I encourage everyone reading this to read into hoosierhunter post history - I think the truth will speak for itself.

More than happy to have it read. I don't however appreciate the statement about lying.

I went back over my numbers and They may be a touch off since I'm thinking of 2010/2011 when I insured my last bow shop.

Aren't the Mathews creed and chill about 650 dealer cost now? Also is Mathews still offering a discount depending on how many purchased?

So at $900 that would be approximately a 40% markup prior to any other dealer discounts.

Why are you selling insurance then? I think i'd be opening my own archery shop if you can almost net the price you actually pay. I've worked in a mathews dealership for a long time and i can guarantee you it's nowhere near 40%.

Top Bottom