Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bow vs muzzeloader

miggy09

Hey guys I've got an opinion question for ya. How many of you are diehard with your bow throughout the whole season or do you hang it up for the muzzleloader when late muzzy season opens? I was bow hunting late season in January this year and was disappointed several times when I had shooter bucks out of bow range but would've been easy for a muzzleloader. I'm contemplating upgrading my bow or purchasing a muzzleloader, as I have never hunted with one. Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks

You can carry both during late ML season if you choose, If your current bow is a good fit and it is one or the other I would encourage you to buy the ML.

Bow hunting is my first love, but I still enjoy toting the ML from time to time, so I'd agree with ironwood...go for it :way:

NWBuck

Bow hunting is my first love, but I still enjoy toting the ML from time to time, so I'd agree with ironwood...go for it :way:

NWBuck
I agree. If I had to choose between the two, it would be bow. Muzz hunting is a nice change of pace for me during the late season.

I like bow by far the best but it is fun to switch it up and grab the Muzzy for late season, especially when it's frigin freezing & I can stay warm in the ol blind!

define out of range? A new bow wont really make your range further? Or at least IMO it doesnt.. its just how comfortable I am shooting.. While I hunt everything with a bow and rarely pick up a gun, picking up a muzzy in the late season is always a great switch up... get a good muzzy and carry both... would be a blast for ya:way:

Miggy if your current bow is a pile of dung I would spend that money first. It looks like this group thinks alike. Sick sick minds, one and all.

Last edited:
Bowhunting is my first love. Turkeys with a bow, 3d all summer. Early bow season. By january if I havnt filled my bow tag I'm like a little kid when I get the muzzy in my hands. The one time I didn't carry both this past season is when I killed my buck, well inside of my effective bow range. If I fill my bow tag in november then I definatly look forward to hanging the bow up and going out with the muzzy. Just a good change of pace
I don't believe that a new bow will make your effective range any better. a wise man once said "its not the bow its the indian" practice practice practice until you feel completely comfortable with a little more distance on live animal.

Your question is kind of like asking other addicts "Should I start smoking crack? I have the extra money and I could always use another addiction..."
I know its probably a poor comparison but to put it bluntly, just do it. You wont be sorry.

Last edited:
Thanks guys those are the responses I was expecting. I must not have been clear earlier but I'm not looking to extend my bow range, I know a new bow won't do that. I'm just addicted to bow hunting and love the challenge of getting em in close enough to let an arrow fly. My thoughts were to get an upgraded bow and stick to that challenge, or go the muzzy route so I can reach out a little farther on those late bucks that aren't so willing to get as close as needed. With all that said and your responses, what are some suggestions on a first muzzleloader? I've done some research and to me it seems silly to not go with a speed breach of some sort.

I have a T/C Prohunter 50 cal. thumb hole and love it! I know savage makes the 10ml that can shoot smokeless powder - I think I would look at it also, due to less mess and less time cleaning.

Scheels in West Des Moines has a sale on CVAs. You can get a scoped Accura for 450! Yep, it has the speed breech.

I have a T/C Prohunter 50 cal. thumb hole and love it! I know savage makes the 10ml that can shoot smokeless powder - I think I would look at it also, due to less mess and less time cleaning.

If you can swing it, go for the Savage 10ml. Those things are sweet!

I guess I never understood the speed breach thing.. The only time I ever take my breach plug out is when I'm cleaning the gun, and I'm definitely not in a hurry at that point. Even if I was in a hurry, I don't think the 10 seconds it takes me to task my breach plug out is going to make or break me..

Maybe those of you that have speed breaches can chime in and tell me why they are so awesome compared to conventional breaches, but I just don't see it as a selling point to me.

To answer the original question, I'd say it depends on what you are shooting for a bow now. If your bow is decent and you don't mind shooting it, get the muzzleloader. I love hunting with my muzzleloader! But if the bow you have now is a pile and be hunting is your passion, I think the money will be better spent on an upgrade.

Get a muzzy! Simple. That will give you two anysex tags for the year! (If you dont already get one for shotgun.)Try to punch ur tag in Nov wit the bow... then tote the gun later. U wont be dissappointed

I just bought a CVA Accura V2. I was in the same boat. Upgraded from my Mission Maniac to a Hoyt Carbon Element last year and then had the worst bow hunting year I've ever had. Creek on the property was dry and 10 acres of neighboring bedding was bulldozed. Saw very few deer and what I did see late in the season was out of range. Hopefully the deer will return and I didn't just spend all this money or nothing.

I'd like to have the speed breech for when I have to swab the barrel at the range. Its just one less tool I have to carry.

I love hunting with a muzzy! don't get me wrong...bow hunting is great and is definitely incredibly rewarding to get the animal in range, get drawn back and get an arrow in him. When it gets cold and i have to wear more clothes though, it's very comforting to have a muzzleloader in hand. it's also great to have them drop in their tracks after a shot and not have to track them anywhere!
Also, look into the CVA Accura...you won't regret it!!

Top Bottom