Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bowhunting Help

hawkjosh22

Hey guys, I am considering getting into bow hunting but have absolutely no idea about anything bow hunting, only been a shotgun hunter. So I need as much help as possible with getting a bow at a reasonable price, fairly cheap, but also something a beginner could use, and possibly use for a while. Any help would be great, even if you could tell me where a good place to research this kind of stuff online that'd be great too!

I second archerytalk.com. Also, ask around to find a good local archery shop. Most shops are more than happy to help out beginners. I think you will find it to be a very rewarding sport. You will learn more about deer behavior in a few years of bow just because you spend so much time watching deer compared to gun hunting. Good luck....and be prepared to get hooked!!

Thanks guys! Appreciate the info so far! I'm gonna look into a good archery shop, heard good things about Buck Hollow in Pella and pretty close to me.

You'll learn more useful information from Boyd in 30 minutes than you would if you spent hours on Archerytalk. He'll get you set up correctly.

ill agree with going to boyds shop, hell guide you in the right direction and wont break it off in ya just because your a biggener, like some shops will.....

If it were ME- I'd buy a high-quality, higher priced bow BUT get a used one to get a good deal. If it were ME- I'd be buying a Mathews that's about 2-3 years old like a Drenalin- you could shoot a few used ones AND maybe some other brands to see if you like em. If it were me, I'd get a used top of the line bow VS a new "beginner" bow. I sold a Drenalin, fully set up for AROUND $450-ish about 2 months ago. Go shoot a NEW Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Bowtech, etc, etc, etc- see what you like and buy a similar model couple years old. Get some opinions on the accessories out there (online opinions, NOT just opinions from one bow shop)- some accessories are junk, some are great.

These guys got ya on the right track. If you live near Buck Hollow, I'd also consider joining the Hickory Ridge Bowhunters. I'm familiar with them only through the IBA, but know they have a good group of people there that will help you get off on the right foot.

I'd suggest not getting a beginners bow and get something in that mid range. Once you get it in your blood you will want to step up in a hurry, might as well spend it from the get go. Plus if it doesn't work out you have more people in the market to buy that bow from you than a beginner bow. I stepped into a mid range Hoyt 6 years ago and still shooting deer with it. Besides the cost and addiction add up with stands, trail cams, camo, and deerview mirrors.. :)

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate all the help! I will be trying to get to Boyd's soon, kinda busy at the moment. To answer a couple questions, I am right handed, approx 6' tall, don't know my draw length yet, or anything really. I will have to get on that asap! Thanks again though guys!

I would agree with the mid range bow. Last year was the first for me and I stepped into a mid range PSE and tagged a decent buck. Biggest advice is to go to the shops and shoot em all. They all feel a little different and you will find one you like that way. Prepare to be addicted, one year under my belt and its all I wanna do now!

Believe it or not!!!!! You can kill a deer with a couple pieces of wood and a little steel!!:D If you can hit what your aiming at consistently, know your limitations, Ya got it made!! Don't take alotta money! Takes alotta practice!!:way: You wanna take a life?? Be serious about it!! It ain't gonna be on TV!!!

Just a side note!!

There are a whole lotta boy's on here that can help you! Most are IBA members! I include myself in that group! I'm a cranky old guy! But I started the bowhunting thing in 1978 and there's few thngs I love more!! Ya need a hand ....... Let us know!!! :way::way:

Believe it or not!!!!! You can kill a deer with a couple pieces of wood and a little steel!!:D If you can hit what your aiming at consistently, know your limitations, Ya got it made!! Don't take alotta money! Takes alotta practice!!:way: You wanna take a life?? Be serious about it!! It ain't gonna be on TV!!!

I like that advise. :drink1:
Don't rule out a traditional archery setup and some hard work.

Also, if ya want some good avise, find yourself and old timer like Crockett. I think you'll be much better off paying attention to guys like that than what ya see on the outhouse channel or many of these hunting sites anymore. That's why I recommended the Hickory Ridge club.....

Last edited:
Update: Just got a bow yesterday, my dad came upon a Bowtech Tribute that a guy was selling, so now I am working with that. It's a nice bow, i'll see if I can't get some pictures on here so that you guys can tell me what I'm working with. It also came with a lot of arrows, all target points except for one broadhead. Anybody know anything about the Tribute? What I saw it seems like it was very highly rated back when it came out.

Edit: It also looks to have a brand new string or pretty new, it's bright orange though.

Last edited:
Tribute is a great bow, you won't be disappointed. Just take care of it and make sure you keep it in tune. Don't ever pull a bow back without an arrow nocked and always point it in a safe direction. Dry firing a bow is a quick way to rack up some big expenses.

Top Bottom