Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bowhunting?

Bowhunt

I am bowhunting and seeing alot of turkeys that are not quite close enough to shoot. Would it be legal to take a gun with you and a bow if you were bowhunting deer and gun hunting turkeys? I usually do one or the other, but wondered on the options that are legal. thanks

Good question. Might have to call the DNR on that one. I know that I wouldn't have any slugs on you or your vehicle. Maybe somebody else has a better answer.

That is a good question -

A related question - can you legally have a muzzleloader or pistol along with your bow during late muzzleloader season? All of those weapons are legal at that time - just like the turkey situation.

I have heard you can only carry one weapon at a time, but I haven't read the law.
893USA3-thumb[1].gif

My understanding is if you are bowhunting it is illegal to have a firearm with you; period. Maybe someone can confirm that.Maggs

If you are hunting the late muszzleloader season you can carry both a bow and muzzleloader as they are both legal weapons.

Another question could be is it legal to carry the muzzleloader and bow during late season if you have a late muzzleloader tag and a paid archery tag left? I don't see why you couldn't. Pretty much the same thing as having the gun turkey tag during bow deer season.

The explanation I've been given is that if you have an "archery only" tag valid for that season it is illegal to have both a bow and a firearm in your posession while hunting. Many times I've wanted to carry a shotgun with birdshot to the base of my stand and be ready to chase roosters right at 8:00, but I've been told it's illegal to do so.

NWBuck

OK - I think I have everybody's answers they are looking for. This is coming from a DNR official-

It is LEGAL to carry a shotgun with you while bowhunting as long as you have a valid license to do so. So, yes, you can hunt turkey with your shotgun and bowhunt for deer at the same time. You can take your shotgun along so you can go pheasant hunting as well.

It is LEGAL to carry a muzzleloader and bow during the late muzzleloader season because both are legal weapons to use. As long as you use the correct tag with the correct kill, it is legal.

The DNR official just told me that it is the DNR official's discretion as to which weapon was used to kill the animal. So, if you have a deer tagged with your bow tag, it better have been killed with your bow and not your muzzleloader.

It is ILLEGAL to carry a pistol and bow at the same time during the late muzzleleader season because there is a specific law that does not allow the use of a centerfire pistol and bow at the same time.

Does all of that make sense? I hope that answer helps the turkey hunters, pheasant hunters and deer hunters in the crowd.
893USA3-thumb[1].gif

Top Bottom