Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bowman Jr.- 1st Turkey at 5 years old!

bowman

Super Moderator
Following a fall of shooting Squirrels with his .22, Trenton was begging to shoot the 20 guage and hunt turkeys. I was very hesitant since he is only 5 years old but he shot very well and had more desire to hunt than most adults I know. I simply couldn't think of any reason not to.

He could hardly contain his excitment as the youth season approached. We shot almost daily. We hunted hard Saturday and Sunday with little success but had a great time laughing and spending time together. We headed out Sunday afternoon with high hopes. After a few hours I heard a spit / drum behind the blind and looked out to see a long beard at 40 yards in full strut. After a mess of moving chairs and situating 3 people and gear, we closed the front and slowly opened the rear of the blind. The tom started our way only to turn quickly and walk away.

Soon several jakes came over the hill in the same spot. For some reason several of the jakes spooked and flew. Four stayed there with their heads periscoped,looking for the problem. I gave Trent the green light to shoot the biggest one on the right and watched him make a perfect shot, dropping the bird on the spot.

Trenton cried hard with the biggest smile on his face, overcome with emotion. Needless to say daddy's eyes werent dry either. This was my first time watching one of my children harvest an animal and man....what an experience. When I'm the shooter I can channel the emotion and stay reasonably calm but when he was getting ready to shoot I was shaking bad!
grin.gif
Unfortunately, the video camera battery died minutes before the birds came in.

No better feeling in the world! I'm one pround Daddy and he's got to be happiest 5 year old in the world!

17 lbs, double beard, 4 3/8" and 2 3/4".

1064Trent_3.JPG

1064Trent_4.JPG

Awesome pics those things are priceless, congrats to both of you. He is hooked for life now. Awesome!

[ QUOTE ]
No better feeling in the world! I'm one pround Daddy and he's got to be happiest 5 year old in the world!

[/ QUOTE ]

Great story and pics! He's hooked for life now!
waytogo.gif

Congrats to Trenton and Bowman.
waytogo.gif

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun together this weekend.
smile.gif

congrats guys. good job sticking with it the whole weekend through. your boy must have a lot of ambition to stay out there all weekend long for that age. nice job
waytogo.gif

wow, congrats on a successful hunt

way to start em young, if Trenton hunts till hes 65, and shoots a bird a year, thats 60 turkeys, how would you display all the beards?
laugh.gif

Top Bottom