Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Branstad Deer Biologist

blake

Life Member
This article was posted in the Iowa Sportsman News Letter:

Deaf Ears Again?

I hate to beat a dead horse but I can’t help it. The DNR released a press statement on January 17, 2012 again basically confirming what we deer hunters already know, that deer numbers are down in large part due to the efforts to reduce the deer herd.

Here is the statement from the DNR:

The final regular deer season ended Jan. 10 when the late season muzzleloader and the archery season closed. Deer hunters had reported taking nearly 113,000 deer at the end of the season, which is about 4 percent lower than was reported last year at this time and about 21 percent below the reported harvest in 2006.

While the harvest is lower, the number of deer licenses issued during the regular seasons has stayed about the same since 2006. “The reduced kill is a result of the reduced deer population,” said Dale Garner, chief of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources Wildlife Bureau. “Deer numbers in many
areas are near the established goal. We continue to hear complaints from hunters that they did not see the number of deer that they had in the past and some are voicing their concerns that the herd reduction may have gone too far.”

Hunts for antlerless deer continue until Jan. 29, in select counties and urban areas. Even though licenses may be available, not all areas in these counties need the extra harvest, Garner said. Hunters need to work with the landowner where they hunt to determine if extra does need to be taken.

The DNR will review the harvest and population surveys after the seasons are complete in January and make proposals to reduce the deer kill and stabilize deer numbers. Reductions in the harvest were proposed in 2011 but not adopted."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again this is old news to us as we discussed that issue a few newsletters ago. What gets me and I leave this open for debate is the very last sentence. “Reductions in the harvest were proposed in 2011 but not adopted”. What the heck? How this reads me is the DNR knew they were getting close to their goals last year and let their superiors know, in this case Governor Branstad, that it is time to start reducing surplus tags. In return their highly qualified recommendations were shot down and vetoed by the Governor. That is exactly what happened! Governor Branstad as some of you may know rejected the DNR’s recommendation of lessening the harvest of deer in counties that have met their goal and kept the quotas the same across the board.

One can only assume that the same recommendations will be offered again this year. The question is will the Governor listen to what the DNR has to say? If not what good is it to pay the DNR to manage the deer population if we are not going to listen to their advice?

What do you think; will the DNR recommendations on the deer population fall upon deaf ears again this year? Do you think the Governor should have the final say on the Iowa deer population? Email Here

Last edited:
Farmer recomendations trump DNR recomendations. Auto related recomendations, trump DNR recomendations. What do you think!?

Hmmm what do we need deer biologist on staff for when we have Terry.

I think it is completely assanighing that we pay our dnr biologist and the govenor just wastes our money and does not listen to what they recomend.:thrwrck:
I sure hope he listens and cuts back tags this year!!!

I had a deer biologist friend up in MI, and he told me,,off the record,,,His opinions were constantly over-ridden by ,"Higher Powers". Same all over.

The surveys speak for themselves. Will the mustache listen?....probably not. Why? Because no matter what the survey says or how much it shows the population dropped or is at it's goal, organizations like Farm Bureau will climb all over the Gov. and he will listen to them, just like last year. I hope he listens to the DNR this year but I'm not betting on it. It all boils down to MONEY!

Last edited:
I agree that our Biologists need to be the ones that make these decisions. But everyone on here knows how inefficient the government is when it tries to control everything. We as hunters need to do more to protect what we have and stop hoping our government will make the right decisions. By the time the Governor realizes he has ruined our hunting in this state it will be too late. That is why I bought 30 doe tags in my county and burned them in my burn barrel. Our deer numbers are down so it is time we do what we can as hunters to protect what we have. Even if you do the same with only a couple tags it will help.

I agree that our Biologists need to be the ones that make these decisions. But everyone on here knows how inefficient the government is when it tries to control everything. We as hunters need to do more to protect what we have and stop hoping our government will make the right decisions. By the time the Governor realizes he has ruined our hunting in this state it will be too late. That is why I bought 30 doe tags in my county and burned them in my burn barrel. Our deer numbers are down so it is time we do what we can as hunters to protect what we have. Even if you do the same with only a couple tags it will help.

That's dedication right there but I don't know if it's the right move. You gave the DNR 300 + but they will not see that drop in the pop. Unless you live in a county that sells out you did nothing to protect the herd. They may take this as a sign that people are still willing to kill those deer and they need all the revenue they can get. Might be better to just let them see your dis-satisfaction by not buying them. IDK for sure and I'm not calling you out just thinking as I type.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I live in a county that usually sells out of tags in Nov so I believe that I saved some deer. I feel that doing something more proactive is better than sitting here waiting for something to change. We have a lot of uninformed hunters that do nothing but keep shooting. Not that they are bad hunters or anything but imo they don't realize they are shooting themselves out of deer. I don't know how many people I heard complain about low deer numbers this year but it was a lot. My only question to them all was what did you do to change it? Its easy to complain about something but if your gonna do that then you better put your money where your mouth is and see it through imo. This is my arguement with these hunters. Its pretty simple... If you like to see more deer then stop shooting them all. I know that my farns are right about where they need to be. Sure we saw more deer a few years ago but some of these farms did have too many deer.
The other thing is that I know I gave the dnr my money but I believe me buying these tags and them going unfilled will also make them see how the harvest percentage goes down bc the deer numbers are down. I believe it will help with their arguement of lowwer deer densities. Once again. Just my opinion. If they do not lowwer the tags I will not hesitate to buy many more doe tags in 2012 and let em go unfilled. Many of my neighbors try to "shoot em all" but if there are no tags then this will become difficult for them. Sorry for any typos. Writing this from my phone.

If not what good is it to pay the DNR to manage the deer population if we are not going to listen to their advice?

Let's kill 2 birds with one stone.... We're trying to balance the budget and reduce spending in the state AND manage the deer herd- right? SO... Why don't we fire all the DNR people and Brandstad can be the DEER DICTATOR and he can run that too? He's super smart and knows wildlife biology and he'll be a hero saving the state a ton of $.

While I don't agree with what happened at the beginning of the deer season by our .gov. In the end...it comes down to the hunter. Try this:

STOP SHOOTING DOES!!! If you feel your area is low on deer...stop shooting them. That's how we can control it. Plain and simple.

Altiman94.......Very good point. It comes down to us as hunters no doubt about it hands down no ?'s asked. It is we the people shooting ourselves in the foot.

Totally agree with above. The other problem though is you'll never educate the majority of folks out there to do that- that's where it's hard & only regulations can dictate action in many cases.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't... The "Almighty Dollar" speaks louder than anyone or anything. If "We" the hunters stop buying tags, then the DNR, controlled by mister "Wonderful" himself, will just find someone else (Nonresidents) to fill the bill. Looks like an easy way to pass a legislative bill for more nonresidents getting tags. Sure glad we opted for a new governor. The reality is though, "You can't have your cake, and eat it too". But it all goes back to the "Damned if you do, damned if you don't". Sooner or later, Culver's staff would have found the $ with Iowa whitetails and probably would have done the same thing. We just can't win fellas...

All of us Iowa hunters need to play along with the plan by buying the tags and simply JUST NOT USE THEM. How can the state regulate whether or not you actually fill the tag or not. They put quotas on tags, not deer killed. Yeah, we would be giving the state money, but that is what they want. Someone brought up a point last year about the whole nonresident hunting bill. They asked why we as Iowan hunters, couldn't just pay more for tags to fill the $ requirements the state is looking for. Sounds good in theory, but eventually the state will want more and more. So if we play along and give the state what they want (money), then maybe they will let the issue rest for a while because of a stable income being provided in the state.

Top Bottom