Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassica hunting plot expectations

Due to equipment failure, weather, lack of time, etc our main food plot didn't get planted until a couple weeks ago so we put the 3 acres in various brassica blends. As its looking now, they appear in great shape. My question is what can I expect as to deer movement and feeding activity on this plot? I would like more than a beautiful field of turnips, Id like it to be a deer magnet obviously. Reading, asking questions and learning more, I am finding out that it may take years for deer to get used to the brassicas or that they just plain wont touch it until it gets very cold. What have you all experienced? Are you seeing lots of deer activity in October and November on your brassica food plots? I have other stand options to hunt on the farm but I have always dreamed of sitting over a big food plot watching a bunch of deer going crazy eating what I spent a bunch of time planting.

I placed a Plot Watcher on my 2 acre turnip plot last week (planted July 16th) and deer are starting to eat it already :mad: From what I have seen, after a hard frost in our area (usually mid to late Oct) the deer start pounding the greens. Then later into Nov/early Dec they come back for the bulbs/roots.

If you got an extra $150 a Plot Watcher by Day6 will allow you to watch daylight activity on your plot for 7-10 days at a time (you can go through 7 days worth of footage in about 15 min). When things start to pick up or a good buck starts to frequent that is the the time to move in. You usually don't get too many hunts on a plot unless you have really good access to get in and out undected. Good luck

Last edited:
your other option is to go in there with winter rye here in early september and overseed areas of turnips. They will come to the rye right away, and they may start to hit your turnips about then too. The rye alone will keep them coming back day after day throughout the entire season. With rain, that stuff will about grow ANYWHERE and its fairly cheap at 15-20 a bushel.

I am finding out that it may take years for deer to get used to the brassicas or that they just plain wont touch it until it gets very cold.

It varies greatly from place to place. some places get browsed immediately others place not until they get a heavy frost and the starches convert to sugar. Depending what area of the county you are in I would almost guess most have been exposed to brassicas.

Deer around Ottumwa loved Rape last Oct/Nov. I planted it again, but will never materialize without H20 and still none. I thot Oskaloosa was kinda dry too?

Depending what area of the county you are in I would almost guess most have been exposed to brassicas.
I thot Oskaloosa was kinda dry too?
I beleive his brassicas he's talking about are in Decatur county. They have been blessed with a few good rains in the past 3 weeks. I tried to spray mine Saturday and it was to wet. Yesterday morning brought another shower.

Yeah my farm is in Decatur County, I live in Oskaloosa. We have gotten some very good rains. I could tell a noticable difference in growth on the brassicas in just one day last weekend. We did also clear out, spray and burn a little 3/4 acre plot as well that we are going to plant in Rye in the next couple weeks as well. This farming is hard work but fun!

Brassicas make for a great food plot. We have been planting them for many years and have always had great hunting over and around them. It seems like activity in the plots varies from year to year, but generally the vast majority of activity will be after a hard freeze.

The biggest plot we have done with them is just shy of 2 acres. Even with a plot that size, once you get a freeze it will only be 3-4 weeks and it will look like it was mowed off. However, when other food sources are hard to find they will be back to dig up bulbs and eat some. So it can be a good late season plot also. The weird thing with the bulbs is that they don't seem to like them much. We always find a lot of bulbs with a bite or two out of them and then left on the ground.

Not to be negative but i planted brassicas in 2 different counties last season and i am not planting them this year.

The farm i thought they would just tear them up on they didnt.:mad: I was very disappointed. It was a 1 acre plot in the middle of about 150 acres on the wapsi. Not sure if they just wernt used to them or what. I had a whole field left in the spring.

Other farm they browsed them, not near what i was acspecting though. But boy they sure tore up the GHF that were in Lick Creeks mix. I just wasnt there at the right time.:(

Top Bottom