Brassicas and Barley and Rye ok?

Guys,

We struggled this year to get our plots in with timing the rain, plowing, having the tractor break down, a disk break....seems like everything went wrong. We seeded 3 of the plots with ShotPlot turnips and Rape on 9/5....assuming we were suppose to get rain a day later, but it missed our farm. I seeded another with a Turnip, Barley, Rye mixture and reseeded one of the originals 9/13..it started to pour after I got out of the field. Here is what they looked like as of 9/28.....

62278_523722390359_138801477_30974950_370882_n.jpg

61081_523722405329_138801477_30974951_3243432_n.jpg

BUT heres the catch. They are in southern Iowa, and all of Northwest Missouri and most of Iowa is in a freeze advisory. Do you think we will lose these plots and just be out of luck for plots? Or do you think they will make it through to mature more hopefully so they are worth something this year?

Thanks,

Christian

It won't freeze hard enough to kill the turnips, but they aren't going to grow to be of much size at this point in the year. Even with warm days, the hours of daylight are getting shorter every day. 9-13 is late to plant turnips. The rye will be fine and keep growing. If it were me I would overseed the plots heavily with rye and hope for a rain to get it germinated. Rye will do fine planted right now.

If it were me I would overseed the plots heavily with rye and hope for a rain to get it germinated. Rye will do fine planted right now.

I agree! :way:

remember brassicas should be sown in mid July thru early August for best results...;)

I know...we were trying to get em in the week of August 8th, but like I said we had a lot of things go wrong...and with the seed already bought, we went ahead and gave em a try. And I dont need the turnips huge...I just need enough draw to them during late muzzy. they are all planted in high traffic areas....just gotta get them through so the girlfriend can hopefully kill her first buck and doe over them with the smoke pole :)

Back