Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas into Corn

TallTines

How many of you have broadcasted brassicas into corn before?

Also did it come up very well?

What are the pluses and minuses to this?

Thanks!

Wondering the same question here, my only worry is them getting shaded out if we broadcast them in late July or into August. Also wondered how fun would it be to broadcast them into standing corn? I'm interested in what others thoughts are.

I heard of a guy who would take a crop dust plane and broadcast them into his corn and apparently they came up well.

I just don't have a plane and the corn I will broadcasting in will be a thin strip w/ a 1/2 acre in a v shape, so I don't think it would be impossible to get some good growth. Just take the hand seeder and aim high.

Interested to see what others say.

Last year I did this with Turnips and Brassicas in areas where deer had already demolished the corn and it turned out great. It was mid-August and we just walked around tossing seed everywhere. Here's a pic from a stand we had setup over it.

12-11-07059.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallTines</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many of you have broadcasted brassicas into corn before?

Also did it come up very well?

What are the pluses and minuses to this?

Thanks! </div></div>

Ironwood had great luck doing this as well as the others who have posted pics.

I did in soybeans but a late flush of weeds had them re-spraying with Roundup... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Purple Top turnips are dirt cheap (among others) so broadcast just ahead of a rain in late August and it's a "win win" as far as I can see!

The only hitch would be on ground that has had a heavy aplication of atrazine...then you might be outa luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So RR corn would be ok if no atrazine applied for how long? </div></div>

If no atrazine was applied the year you are planting the brassicas it should be ok.

Atrazine is pretty much applied as a mix with other herbicides now to keep residual affects minimal.

There are other "grass" type herbicides such as Dual magnum that if applied in the spring would most likely be ok by august for brassicas.

I had poor results in beans last year. The key is loss of canopy I think. Edges where the deer have pounded the corn are the ticket for this practice I believe. OneCam got me start on this and it is to easy to overlook.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wegner36</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you don't do anything with the ground, just broadcast the seeds and get out? </div></div>

Yep...that's it,can't beat it with a stick! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

If you want to try it in beans I would plant a short season bean that matures early.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yep...that's it,can't beat it with a stick! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

If you want to try it in beans I would plant a short season bean that matures early.</div></div>

your right that sounds almost too good to be true!!!
I will def be doing some of these plots for the upcoming season!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ironwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The key is loss of canopy I think. Edges where the deer have pounded the corn are the ticket for this practice I believe. OneCam got me start on this and it is to easy to overlook.</div></div>

I agree. Mine turned out great in areas where the deer had already destroyed the corn.

Top Bottom