Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

Well the rye was seeded yesterday & it's raining now, hopefully we'll make the best of a bad situation. My question is what type of growth can I expect from the rye and the brassicas that have been sitting in the dust waiting for some moisture.

Pretty good if we continue to get rain!

Overseeded rye into my last planted brassicas this morning. By next weekend I'll probably have to seed rye into my other brassica plots. Very happy for you other fellows who got enough rain. Your plots look fabulous.

Mine 2!!!!! Now the main questions is when to over seed with rye?

Right now!

So you are overseeding the existing brassicas (planted this year) with the rye mix? Is that normal in the rotation, or just for brassicas that didn't take due to drought?

Paul. The turnips that have been up have responded to a little rain. They are about 5 to 6" today. Would you still put winter rye on?

Being down here in the deep south (Alabama), we obviously have our own circumstances to deal with when planting. We don't usually get the very cold weather and our first frosts are way later than the guys in the north, therefore allowing us to plant about 4-6 later than y'all normally plant. These are some brassica fields I planted last weekend and with 2-3 inches of rain forecasted for the end of the week I am happy I went ahead and got them in the ground. I will go back in 2-3 weeks and plant the cereal mix and clovers in the other parts.
For some reason I can't get pics to show up. Somebody want to tell me how to post pics from my album. I'm trying from a mobile device right now with no luck.

Last edited:
With the rye / brassicas rotation, what needs to be done for planting the next year. In other words, if I have rye on half my field and brassicas on the other half, the brassica half will be pretty bare... do I plant the rye in the spring and then again in late summer????? And on the rye side... do I just leave it until July then knock it all down and plant brassicas into it?

Sorry if that's a confusing question, but I've planted this mix for the first time and am just thinking ahead on how to deal with the rotation.

Thanks!

Steve

With the rye / brassicas rotation, what needs to be done for planting the next year. In other words, if I have rye on half my field and brassicas on the other half, the brassica half will be pretty bare... do I plant the rye in the spring and then again in late summer????? And on the rye side... do I just leave it until July then knock it all down and plant brassicas into it?

Sorry if that's a confusing question, but I've planted this mix for the first time and am just thinking ahead on how to deal with the rotation.

Thanks!

Steve

see marked in red Steve

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 2.5#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2.5#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 50#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover an/or same of crimson clover and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot...I use 50# each rye, oats and peas along with radish and clover seed all plant in half of each feeding area

I use 50#'s each of the following:

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 50-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Frostmaster Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre

Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28 but for best results soil test and add only what is necessary.

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

Thanks.

Finally got rain on our plots. I bet we went over a month and a half with barely anything. Brassicas were looking awesome to start... and in all honesty I'm surprised how much growth we got without ANY moisture. I can only imagine (and will have to until next year) what they would have looked like with some moisture.

Storms last night got the plots good and wet. Hoping that some of the winter rye and clover that's sitting on the ground will start growning!

Steve

I must admit I am completely amazed at the amount of growth and forage that I got out of my brassicas this year, even though I kind of feel like it was a bust. I planted the 20th of July and the first rain we got was just this past week. Even with almost ZERO precipitation on the plot I still have green plants, and although germination was spotty, there are still radishes and turnips like these in there. I can only imagine what it'll be like next year if we get just a bit more even moisture....

picture.php

picture.php

Sept 22nd, 2013

Looking good Steve!

Youth season and ya gotta love it when a plan comes together! 1st year plot with brassicas on right that received zero rain from planting until a few days ago. Father and daughter counted 16 deer by 6:00 p.m and more were on the way when she pulled the trigger, these deer have never seen nor tasted a brassica before...and no frost needed to get them to eat it!!

Scott sent some pics before..............

and after (note beautiful Egyptian Wheat screen in background)

Paul, Just some pics of my brassicas, they were planted August 2 and we received maybe a 1/2" of rain the first 5 weeks. The last 3 weeks we've received at least 1/2-1" per week and they really popped. This is by far the best plot of brassicas I've ever had and they followed your cereal grain mix, thanks. The first pic is on 8/2 when I tilled and planted, second pic is the plot with e-wheat in the back ground and the third is how they have sprouted, that's a 2 liter pop bottle in the pic.

Thanks
Scott

Plant multiple crops, ring the field with clover, screen with EW and do all that adjacent to heavy, thick cover and...you'll be staring at a field full of whitetails too!

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 2.5#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2.5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 50#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover an/or same of crimson clover and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot...I use 50# each rye, oats and peas along with radish and clover seed all plant in half of each feeding area

Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28 but for best results soil test and add only what is necessary.

The advantages of winter rye

My friend Rich sent in pics that clearly show the advantages of rotating brassicas to the rye combo...

Three different foodplots all planted on the same day. Aug 1. 2/10ths of an inch of rain on Aug 2. No more rain until last week.

First plot was in a rye mix last year but was in a bottom with good soil moisture.

Second plot was also in a rye mix last year but was on a ridge top. Spotty germination but everything that germinated somehow survived.

The last plot was planted where I had corn last year on a ridge. The only brassicas that germinated and lived were where my tractor tires were.

Proof of the soil building ability of the rye mix.

My cereal grain plots are doing great. As you can see I have overseeded my spotty brassicas with rye to fill in the bare spots.

Pictures are worth a 1000 words...'nuff said... ;)

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 2.5#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2.5#

I planted these Brassicas July 15th after a red clover / oats spring planting !

These brassicas I plated August 15th , good germination just little growth , these where planted into fescue that I tilled under..

I believe if I can get a bit more rain It may come on a make it...

Last edited:
Broadcast some radishes into some yellowing soybeans yesterday up on some hill ground. Be interesting to see how much growth they put on and if it was worth the hassle.

Also put some into a weed patch that I hope will help conserve moisture as the weed die off and help hold off any frosts getting to the young plants.

I planted these Brassicas July 15th after a red clover / oats spring planting !

These brassicas I plated August 15th , good germination just little growth , these where planted into fescue that I tilled under..

I believe if I can get a bit more rain It may come on a make it...

Use Photobucket John to get full size pics

Let's hope for more rain!

My brassicas are looking stellar. I caught a good rain after I planted them at the end of July, and then again here about 2 or 3 weeks back.

The cereal grains aren't coming in as nice, because they missed some of the rains. The rye is doing best, but the oats are starting to come in.

Guees I have more deer in my area? I did see more last Nov passing by. I plant rather small food plots by most standards. Do mine with a rotto tiller,,not tractor. Planted an area about 50 yrds by 30 yrds back in July,radish and rape. I have beans and corn on farms just across the roads. Usually deer leave rape and radish alone until crops are harvested but man,,they mowed off my plot real fast! Kinda strange?

Dbltree, I'm having some rye resprout in my brassica plot. What mix rate would you recommend for clethodim in a 4 gallon backpack sprayer? I need amount of clethodim and amount of crop oil. Thanks!

Dbltree, I'm having some rye resprout in my brassica plot. What mix rate would you recommend for clethodim in a 4 gallon backpack sprayer? I need amount of clethodim and amount of crop oil. Thanks!

Pretty hard to get too much clethodim on so 12-16 ounces and a quart of crop oil should be fine

Top Bottom