Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

Great info here. One thing i have definately learned this year is that foodplots are definately not the magic ticket and i think are overrated from the exspectancies i had in my head.
I put more hard work into plots this year than i ever had, and have had a teribble hunting year.
This next year I am definately going to focus on cover, cover, and more cover.
Am also thinking on cutting back on some of my plot area for cover.
This year in my agg field (that i gave up $180 per acre rent to turn into foodplot) I planted 2.5 acres of corn and 3 acres of eagle beans and a 1/2 acre of clover. Off to the side a 1/2 acre of lc mix. not getting the deer draw i was acspecting from it.:( So now i am thinking about putting the west 3 acres into crp for cover and extra $$. I just dont want to short change myself on the food as this is the first year i have foodploted this whole area. Counting on late muzzy.;)
Sorry for ranting but your post was exactly what i have been thinking about for next year. COVER!!
Lots of tsi and hingeing to come. Just wish i new more about how to do it, I can only cut the tree once.:eek:

One thing i have definately learned this year is that foodplots are definately not the magic ticket and i think are overrated
I planted 2.5 acres of corn and 3 acres of eagle beans and a 1/2 acre of clover. Off to the side a 1/2 acre of lc mix. not getting the deer draw i was acspecting from it.:( I just dont want to short change myself on the food as this is the first year i have foodploted this whole area. Counting on late muzzy.;)
COVER!!
Lots of tsi and hingeing to come. Just wish i new more about how to do it, I can only cut the tree once.:eek:

Tough season for many. Food didn't matter much during rut BUT keep in mind.... late season may be a different ball-game. And- you don't just do it to kill a deer, it's gonna help them immensely in other ways. AND- keep those plots for 3-4 years and the deer will get "trained" to knowing they are always there- might be a different game for you. PATIENCE! Cover is right! Hammer that. My favorite, #1, cover method is TSI! Followed by native grasses. You are right on. Just be patient and don't jump to any conclusions until you've stuck this out and done all you can like you are planning and 3-4 years have gone by. PATIENCE!

When learning hinge cutting or TSI, that is the ONE area you may be best hiring someone to help you mark stuff OR show you the 1st 5 acres OR hiring for consulting/construction OR just hiring to do your 1st job period. You're right- once it's cut- that's it- not an area for on the job learning for the most part.

*AND MAKE SURE YOU CHECK OUT DBLTREE'S TSI & HINGE CUTTING THREADS!

Last edited:
keep those plots for 3-4 years and the deer will get "trained" to knowing they are always there- might be a different game for you.
Skip is right on and down the road it's possible your plots may get wiped out so proceed with caution. Each situation is different but if you have a ton of ag crops on your farm, deer are adapted to feeding in those and as Skip mentions....that will change in the late season.

Enhance the cover you have first and then see if you need to convert any feed to cover. Remember also to do everything you can to have one central, safe, screened feeding area per 80-120 acres rather then multiple plots all over the farm (obviously large farms will have more)

Deer don't ignore "free food" so the other question is...do you have any deer? Trail cams should help you answer that question...:way:

Your also welcome to email me an aerial of your farm so I can give you some advice if you like....[email protected]

November 30th, 2011

Things change almost overnight as the weather gets colder and food source options become more limited. Some brassica plots have been heavily grazed since late September due to high deer densities and limited food sources but in plots where deer have a little more "choice" they ate the Groundhog forage radish foliage first and left the rape and turnips largely untouched. Now however that has begun to change and because they have eaten the GHFR foliage to the top of the root...the rape plants are next in line.

2011-11-24_11-02-35_49.jpg

They are not touching the Purple Top turnip foliage at this point (in this plot...in others they have grazed everything for some time)

2011-11-24_11-02-23_607.jpg

Good example of the GHFR tops eaten down next to a Dwarf Essex rape plant

2011-11-24_11-01-21_370.jpg

the obvious evidence of the rape plants being eaten now

2011-11-24_11-01-12_144.jpg

Interesting that now they are also eating the radish roots when obviously they don't have to which clearly points to preference at this point

2011-11-24_11-03-08_978.jpg

Keep in mind that "preference" does not mean in any case that deer will come from miles around to eat ANY food source, it merely allows us to plant the right crops in the right combination to keep a continuous supply of food available and always have something to meet there needs 24-7, 365 days a year.

The "method to my madness" is clear in this mix....deer focus on the GHFR from the time it is roughly 8-12" high which allows the rape and turnip plants to grow and develop, which in turn assures a continuous supply of feed when planted in blocks with adjacent crops like white clover and the rye combination. NO brassicas can provide food year around so they should NEVER be the ONLY thing planted in any one field...like beans and corn they eventually are gone and then so are the deer.

2011-11-24_11-02-58_817.jpg

This mix is simple and economical yet when combined with other crops provides high quality, high yielding food sources well into late winter.

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost.

Till ground, cultipack or firm soil, broadcast 5#'s per acre of brassica seed and re-cultipack.

Do NOT mix other crops (especially cereal grains) with brassicas!

Use 60-90#'s of actual nitrogen (150-200#'s of urea per acre) and 200-400#'s of 6-24-24

Remember to divide each field and plant 10-20% in white clover and then divide the remaining amount planting half of that to the brassica mix and half to the rye mix

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 80-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Austrian Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre
Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant seeds roughly 1-2" deep by lightly tilling or discing in, and then cultipack to cover, broadcast clover and radish seed and re-cultipack

Plant fall grains no earlier then the last week of August through mid September, earlier is better when adding peas and clover

Then rotate the brassica mix to rye and the rye to brassicas which kills a whole flock of birds with one stone. Rotations are a must to keep disease and pests at bay and the clover tilled under from the rye mix will provide at least a portion of the nitrogen need for the brassicas.

The areas in white clover will provide food from early spring to well into winter, brassicas from late August thru mid -winter and the rye mix from mid September all the way til spring. The red clover in the rye mix will (along with the white clover) provide food all summer which means deer have no reason ever to go some where else to look for feed.

When deer are not on your property...where are they?? Getting hit on the road, learning to like the neighbors bedding area, getting shot by poachers, learning NOT to rely on your property....just to name a few.

If your only concern is attracting deer during hunting season, you will never maximize your habitat to hold mature whitetails on your property. Brassicas are just one tool....add it to your tool chest along with the other crops mentioned and you'll find that in time...you'll make your own luck.... ;)

Josh sent these pics of his brassicas...

turnips.jpg

Purple Top Turnips

Josh4.jpg

Groundhog forage radish...note the obvious grazing of the tops

Josh5.jpg

Deer feeding in the brassica mix

Josh3.jpg

Josh2.jpg

Josh1.jpg

and the reward for all of his hard work....

2011WIArchery.jpg

If you have pics of your brassicas and the results of how they worked for you, please share in this thread.... :way:

December 14th, 2011

As I update each crop thread I am going to do so with a focus on encouraging each of you to use a combination of crops within ONE feeding area to adapt deer to coming there year around. You can NEVER accomplish this if you plant only ONE crop in that field.

If you enjoy seeing deer in the neighbors fields...stick with the old way but if you really want to hold them on your property, forget planting a fall hunting plot and start growing feed that will provide for their need YEAR AROUND!!

Brassicas are just ONE tool to help us reach our goal of year around food sources and they should be part of a combination of other crops within one feeding area to provide feed from August thru February.

In mid December whitetails are turning on the turnip roots with a vengeance

2011-12-11_13-29-33_631.jpg

2011-12-11_13-50-42_732.jpg

2011-12-11_13-51-09_397.jpg

IMG_6885.jpg

even though they have plenty of soybeans right alongside the brassicas!

2011-12-11_13-29-46_409.jpg

The radish roots are also getting hit

IMG_6884.jpg

Deer focused on the Groundhog Forage Radish foliage from August well into November but now they have laid waste to the Dwarf Essex Rape plants

2011-12-11_13-30-10_641.jpg

and are feeding heavily on any and all foliage remaining

IMG_6886.jpg

IMG_6888.jpg

2011-12-11_13-50-54_584.jpg

The big turnips will keep deer fed well into mid winter....crucial to keeping deer coming to our one central food source

IMG_6889.jpg

In previous post I have mentioned a common sight in ag country....a corn/bean/alfalfa stubble field full of deer which leads us to mistakenly believe that...gosh...if I only had corn, beans alfalfa etc....I would have LOT'S of deer too! In truth the deer are just taking advantage of the spilled grain nearest their home bedding area. This is something whitetails are ADAPTED to doing as a survival method, something they have to do simply because they have to stock up fat reserves...NOT because they love corn/soybeans or alfalfa.

The key is thick, safe bedding cover surrounding a feeding area that deer become adapted too because it always has food in it. I would also remind each of you that 50 deer in a 100 acre corn field is not the same as 10 in a one acre plot! if you follow ALL of my threads then you will see whitetails readily eating every food source I plant, with little preference to the kind/type of food.

In this case...we have standing soybeans and brassicas side by side and they of course eat both and as these pics show...clearly enjoy eating the brassicas!!

d2.jpg

d1.jpg

Coming from/thru beans to eat the Purple Top turnip/Dwarf Essex Rape/Groundhog forage radish mix planted in July

d3.jpg

This time of year however what we really like to see is the bucks and what THEY like!

b6.jpg

b5.jpg

b4-1.jpg

b3-2.jpg

b2-3.jpg

B1-3.jpg

This does not imply that soybeans are no good or that deer prefer brassicas over soybeans....the point is that if the feeding area is safe and adjacent to great bedding....whitetails will soon adapt to feeding there. Once that adaption takes place they will literally eat anything and everything you plant which is great because knowing this we can plant a combination of crops that keep deer fed year around.

White clover, brassicas, winter rye and soybeans are just a few that in combination will insure that deer have no reason to leave your property but that doesn't mean that 100 deer will come from the neighbors farm...those deer are adapted to surviving on whatever food sources are there...forget about them and concentrate on building great habitat on your farm and managing the whitetails that will in turn....live there for life.... ;)

December 27th, 2011

The Groundhog forage radish and Dwarf Essex rape foliage has been eaten to the ground along with the foliage from the Purple Top turnips so at this point they are focusing on the roots.

IMG_6939.jpg

Exactly as planned in our goal to provide year around food sources in one central feeding area and depending on the yield and area planted, the turnips can provide high quality food well into late winter.

IMG_6936.jpg

The two most common problems I encounter is that landowners often use little or no fertilizer and commonly overseed. This results in very small golf ball (or smaller) sized turnips and radish roots with short stunted foliage. Soil test as if for corn and remember that a soil test usually will not provide information on nitrogen requirements and if it it does may be inaccurate.

IMG_6937.jpg

On most soils brassicas will require a bare minimum of 75 to 125#'s of actual nitrogen so i use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and typically they will take roughly a 100#'s each of P&k even if soil nutrients have been brought up to snuff. Knowing this I apply 400#'s of 6-28-28 along with the urea and till it under just before planting.

Overseeding can be corrected by weighing out the correct amount of seed for the given area and then place a few tiny brassica seeds in the broadcast seeder open the gate just enough to barely let the seeds pass thru. If you have seed left over, go back over it crossways to the original path but this method helps me keep from putting too much seed on and ending up with stunted plants.

Drills of course can be used and set at a slightly slower rate then the settings call for clover but remember if you use a no-till drill you will need to either till in the urea or use Ammonium nitrate or urea treated with urease inhibters. Commonly I see contractors planting brassica seed with no -till drills and using no fertilizer at all, leaving clients disappointed with the outcome.

The other mistake is planting the WHOLE field to brassicas rather then dividing it and planting areas of white clover and the winter rye mix which keeps deer from wiping out the brassicas to early. Use the following example to keep from running out of feed and adapting deer to always coming to one place to feed.

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#

Plant in mid to late July in most midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring.

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot

Plant in late August to early September

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

just want to understand the rye mix and brassica rotation for a few small deer plots that I'm planning for next year:

If I rotate that mix over 2 years, then for the 3rd year, do I need to put in something else in the entire area besides any type of brassica to avoid the desease potential or just avoid the types of brassica I used?

Is the Ground Hog Forage radish amount used low enough not to have to take it out of an area after 2 years?

As another option if I use a rye blend with GHF radishes one year and the next year, rye blend with Pacer Hybrid Forage Brassica (from Welter Seed). For the 3rd year can I go back to GHF radish?

What's everyone thoughts on broadcasting a light brassica seeding into existing clover plots? My thought is to broadcast after mowing in late june?

just want to understand the rye mix and brassica rotation for a few small deer plots that I'm planning for next year:

If I rotate that mix over 2 years, then for the 3rd year, do I need to put in something else in the entire area besides any type of brassica to avoid the disease potential or just avoid the types of brassica I used?

Is the Ground Hog Forage radish amount used low enough not to have to take it out of an area after 2 years?

As another option if I use a rye blend with GHF radishes one year and the next year, rye blend with Pacer Hybrid Forage Brassica (from Welter Seed). For the 3rd year can I go back to GHF radish?

Brassicas are brassicas so planting different varieties would still allow for the possibility of disease but if you use my rotation you will nt have problems.

The brassicas are rotated to the rye mix and the rye mix to brassicas so the disease cycle is broken yearly. The GHFR in the rye mix will be broken by being in red clover all summer and the brassica plot will be in oats and berseem clover for the summer....so if you plant the mixes I suggest...no worries about disease...period.

Problems arise when brassicas follow brassicas and nothing is planted in between...that will never happen if you plant the above mixes and rotate them...:way:

What's everyone thoughts on broadcasting a light brassica seeding into existing clover plots? My thought is to broadcast after mowing in late june?

White clover is too aggressive and will out compete the brassicas...plant the brassicas alone in a separate area of the same plot. Use a rotation as I mention in the previous post for best results, highest yields and the most attractive forage. ;)

January 1st, 2012

The brassica test plot I have in the garden only 10 yards from my house doesn't seem to get hit any less then then any other feeding areas I plant!

IMG_7048.jpg

The Rape plants are grazed but withstanding the single digit temps well

IMG_7050.jpg

Surprisingly the Kale plants have not been grazed and the big tall plants seem to be more susceptible to the frigid weather

IMG_7049.jpg

The turnips here have not been eaten yet but I suspect it is only a matter of time

IMG_7051.jpg

The brassica forage as a whole other then the kale has been heavily grazed

IMG_7052.jpg

I watch the deer from my kitchen window but they are eating these at night, something that many landowners forget to take into account. When the feeding area is too open and unprotected sometimes deer feed only at night leaving the impression the food is being uneaten. Sometimes it does take a year or two of exposure to brassicas before whitetails feed on them depending on the availability of other food sources but so far i have not had a case of deer turning up their noses at Groundhog forage radish which makes it ideal to adapt deer to brassicas.

If deer didn't eat your brassicas this year try planting a smaller portion of the feeding area and mix the forage radish with it and see if they don't begin to adapt to it. Personally on the farms I work with the worst problem is keeping them from wiping them out by early fall!

Remember that no one crop is capable of holding whitetails year around and doing so is the only way to adapt them you yours and...ignoring the farm next door! Proper fertilization is also critical...nutrient starved plants are not attractive nor can they provide the type of yields that allow us to keep deer fed all winter.

The following is not only a list of the food sources I plant in ONE feeding area per 80-120 acres but the nutrients I feed them when starting the program.

Alice (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot...plant with the rye mix below and soil test for needed P&K/lime requirements. Lacking a soil test I use 400#'s of 6-28-28 and 500#'s of pel lime in my area.

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#

Plant in mid to late July in most midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost. Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea, 400#'s of 6-28-28 (or comparable such as 400#'s triple 19 ) Add lime per soil test. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring and no fertilizer is necessary at that time.

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas only 100-200#'s of urea may be needed but first time plantings may need to be fertilized and limed as the noted for the brassicas.

Thanks dbltree for clarifying the rotation on the Brassicas. You really have fine-tuned this mixture over the years. We all benefit from your unselfishness to share your wisdom and the time that it takes as well.

Note for some folks that are new to deer food plots or looking for new ideas to improve your deer plot success.
- I agree 100% with you dbltree on including Ground Hog Forage Radish. The first year I used them, just 2years ago, I was blown away at how much the deer went after them, even before it got freezing cold. And like you mentioned, we saw more deer this year than last, so it takes a little patience to give higher number of deer a chance to find those new plots.
- The GHF radish are worth the trouble of finding a source to buy from. Of the 2 local coops in the UP near my planting site, 2 years ago neither carried them, this year only one did and they were sold out prior to end of August (I was running a few weeks behind).
- Welters Seed gets my vote for best seed source, they had the GHF radishes, clovers with a proven track record for growing aggressive (competing against the weeds) and providing high quality forage. My coops are good on prices just limited on seed selection and carry VNS clovers, still good for rye, oats or forage peas though.
- I guess for today, that's the only vote of mine that will count in Iowa...:D

Thanks for the feedback on the GHFR and Welters DH1 :way:

January 4th, 2012

For years I felt like "corn was king" and because deer love corn it was the best option but over time I became disenchanted with growing this expensive crop. Corn and soybeans are useful and great attractants for a time in the fall so I don't want to convince anyone that enjoys growing these crops that it's a bad idea but rather to show that they have severe limitations along with being very expensive to grow.

A landowner friend of mine that I work for had the farmer leave roughly 3 acres of corn standing on several large corn fields with intentions of hunting them in the late season but when I checked on them recently I found they were stripped clean!

2012-01-02_15-25-19_123.jpg

Even mediocre yields of 120 bushel per acre X 6.50 a bushel is nearly $800 X 3 =$2400 worth of corn...gone like a wisp of smoke on a windy day!

2012-01-02_15-25-05_963.jpg

The problem with corn is that once it's gone....it's gone and there is not so much as a scrap to keep deer on your property

2012-01-02_15-25-25_184.jpg

There are of course situations where landowners have few deer and the corn lasts all winter so this is by no means an across the board consideration when planning your habitat but for many if not most, the combination of other less expensive crops planted in strips in one centralized field will feed deer all year long.

Fortunately in this case we have that very thing planted adjacent to the cornfield and though deer are pounding it relentlessly it's keeping them coming back for more!!

Note the combination of two separate crop mixes within one field simply by dividing the field in 1/2

2012-01-02_15-25-59_19.jpg

In this case one area is actually divided three times and white clover is being established by planting it with the rye combination last fall

2012-01-02_15-26-53_899.jpg

So we have winter rye/oats/peas/radish and red clover in one strip and Purple Top turnips, Dwarf Essex rape and Groundhog forage radish in the the other strip and the rye mix with white clover in the third.

2012-01-02_15-27-03_388.jpg

Those combinations are far less expensive then growing or leaving corn yet obviously every bit as attractive and in this case...the first year deer were exposed to them. Because winter rye grows in colder temps then wheat it is able to continue to keep deer fed and will spring back to life long before wheat in the spring...right when deer need it most!

Right now though the Purple top turnips and forage radish roots are what deer are feeding on heavily...note that every last scrap of foliage has been eaten!!

2012-01-02_15-26-35_660.jpg

Now they are eating the turnips literally right into the dirt!

2012-01-02_15-26-29_175.jpg

another reason why we need to fertilize brassicas for high yields to grow roots that can keep deer fed well into the new year

2012-01-02_15-26-16_689.jpg

When the last turnip is gone...the rye will keep them coming back and digging thru the snow for it and the red clover will spring to life in the spring to feed them until we till it under for a rotation to brassicas.

2012-01-02_15-26-45_162.jpg

Once the white clover is established around the perimeter it to will be an extremely useful tool in adapting deer to coming to this single, centralized feeding area. Tilling under the red clover will allow the brassicas to take advantage of the nitrogen it fixed as it grew thru the summer. Where the brassicas are now we will plant oats and berseem clover which also will feed deer thru the summer (versus the bare dirt people often leave) and when we till it under for the rye combination we will have copious amounts of both organic matter and nitrogen for the rye combination.

The combination listed below then is in reality far less expensive then corn yet far more attractive and effective at holding deer year around...something corn will never ever be able to accomplish. Corn is not a bad thing so if you can grow it in conjunction with other food sources then by all means but for many of us it is neither cost effective nor necessary to reach our goals.... ;)

Alice (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot...plant with the rye mix below and soil test for needed P&K/lime requirements. Lacking a soil test I use 400#'s of 6-28-28 and 500#'s of pel lime in my area.

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#

Plant in mid to late July in most midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost. Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea, 400#'s of 6-28-28 (or comparable such as 400#'s triple 19 ) Add lime per soil test. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring and no fertilizer is necessary at that time.

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas only 100-200#'s of urea may be needed but first time plantings may need to be fertilized and limed as the noted for the brassicas.

January 6th, 2012

I shared in a recent post about how easily and quickly corn can be decimated leaving behind an empty field that leaves nothing to hold whitetails on our property and soybeans are often the same way. There always exceptions and now and then someone combines the left over grain n the spring because they have been uneaten. Anyone with any number of deer however will usually find that corn and beans may last only a few weeks or worse yet be wiped out by the end of summer and it is for that reason I have settled on the white clover/brassica/rye combination crops to keep deer fed year around in high deer density areas.

The following is a field where we tried white clover/brassicas and soybeans this year and while the soybeans did great the landowner was disappointed to find that the beans lasted only a few weeks ...and this during one of the mildest winters we have had in some time!

The strip crop method allows us to have all the crops mentioned in one field which in turn adapts deer to coming to one place 24/7, 365 days a year.

IMG_7059.jpg

Unfortunately in this case the soybeans didn't last long

IMG_7064.jpg

The huge turnips however are feeding deer and keeping them coming back for more!

IMG_7066.jpg

We fertilize the brassicas heavily and use caution not to over seed and the results are outstanding!

IMG_7067.jpg

They eat the big Purple Tops like apples!

IMG_7060.jpg

and these things, despite a severe drought....got huge!

IMG_7061.jpg

Often landowners have problems initially with deer refusing to eat brassicas but by adapting deer to finding feed in our feeding area with white clover...something that is available nearly every month of the year,,,they come to depend on that feeding area and quickly adapt to the brassicas.

IMG_7062.jpg

In this field as has been the case in 100% of the fields i plant for other landowners ...whitetails began eating the brassicas within 30 days of planting and don't stop until every last morsel is gleaned from the field...this where deer have never tasted a brassica in their lives!

IMG_7069.jpg

By adding the irresistible Groundhog Forage radish, deer quickly adapt to brassicas focusing on them as soon as the GHFR is roughly 8-10" high. Do not however make the mistake of planting ONLY brassicas, incorporate areas of white clover and split the feeding area between brassicas and the rye combination mix to allow for yearly rotation.

IMG_7070.jpg

Right from the get go I have shared pics in this field of deer walking thru soybeans to get to the brassicas, starting when they were still green and deer focused on the GH forage radish.

d3.jpg

and it hasn't changed...only know they are eating the GHFR roots!!

PICT0317.jpg

While soybeans are certainly useful...they also are not necessary to hold whitetails

b8.jpg

In this pic you can see deer feeding in each brassica strip as well as white clover in the background

Clovernbrassicas.jpg

No more deer fed in this field with soybeans then when the soy strips were planted in rye

PICT0030.jpg

So don't be misled into thinking they hold the key to a field full of monster bucks

PICT1311.jpg

We have been providing year around food sources in this field for 4 years now, so deer are adapted to it and focus on it regardless of what we plant

PICT1911.jpg

The advantages of using the rye/oats/peas/radish/red clover combination are many....they can NEVER run out of feed! Winter rye continues to grow at temps as low as 34 degrees and no other commonly grown crop, including wheat can do this. This means about the time the turnips are gone the rye will not only still be there but will provide feed during a critical time period in late winter/early spring. The red clover will take over from there and provide food sources until tilled under for a rotation to brassicas.

PICT2744.jpg

If you do plant soybeans as part of your program be sure to plant early maturing beans that dry down in late August, then overseed the soybeans with rye and radishes so the field is not left barren and empty. In this case severe drought kept the rye from germinating until it was too late to provide much forage.

There is no one size fits all when it comes to habitat and the more diversified your plantings are the less your risk of having a crop failure and the greater your odds of providing year around food sources. Brassicas are one very dependable food source that can provide feed for a longer period of time then either soybeans or corn and easily grown by almost any landowner and any budget.

Use any combination of crops but be sure to keep them in one feeding area that is centralized or several small areas that together are in a central area of your property and regardless of size, plant them ALL in the same feeding area. The following is what I have found to be the most reliable and cost effective crop combination to attract and hold whitetails year around with even the highest deer densities.

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#

January 13th, 2012

My friend Mark sent me pics of his brassicas from this summer

MarkBrassica1.jpg

and what they look like now!

MarkBrassica2.jpg

While Mark is very happy with the results he is also glad he planted the rye combination to continue holding deer. They have grazed the rye mix nearly to the dirt also but unlike brassicas, soybeans and corn...the rye keeps em' coming back!

In the spring Mark plans to turn under the spent brassica portion of the field and plant oats and berseem clover that will then be turned under in late August to rotate to the rye mix. Planting these combinations all in the same fields has begun to change things for those who have given it a shot and the difference in their soils and the number of whitetails using their feeding areas is dramatic.

If you put the same effort into improving your cover and combine great cover with year around food sources you find it far easier to hold and pattern whitetails on your property as well. Food is only part of the recipe for success but the ingredients below are some of the most effective yet economical available to us....

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost. Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea, 400#'s of 6-28-28 (or comparable such as 400#'s triple 19 ) Add lime per soil test. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring and no fertilizer is necessary at that time.

Groundhog Forage Radish

One of the great things about forage radish is that once the top is gone (foliage and top of root) the rest of the root will decompose quickly leaving a channel into which water flows (rain/snow melt) and freezing/thawing soon pulverizes hard pan soils

GHFR1.jpg

I took these pics a while back but the root was rapidly decomposing and water could already flow in along side the root

GHFR2.jpg

Forage radish plants are also nitrogen scavengers as well as pulling up subsoil nutrients with their deep tap roots and that long with their strong allelopathic effects makes them a great companion to plant with other brassicas in July or with rye in late summer.

Of course no one cares about that...only if deer eat them or not but I promise you'll have a tough time finding any other food source they love more then....forage radish.... ;)

January 28th, 2012

A friend of mine sent me pics of his rye combo/brassica strip plots...guess the deer approve!!

RichBrassicas.jpg

In these pics they have already mowed the rye down and are focusing on the turnips in the brassica mix...the turkeys love to feed in the grazed rye however!!

RichRye.jpg

This following spring the red clover will grow where the rye is and he'll plant oats and berseem where the brassicas are which will keep deer coming to this same spot!

Richfeed.jpg

The big turnips will keep deer fed thru most of the winter and then they will go back to the rye which will be one of the first things to green up.

RichBrassicas2.jpg

next summer he will rotate the brassicas to the rye/red clover strip and the rye to the brassica side (oats and berseem in the spring) What a fantastic combination of crops that enables him to keep his deer fed year around and that keeps them on his farm rather then...the neighbors. This year he will add white clover around the perimeter to round out the mix which is as follows...

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost. Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea, 400#'s of 6-28-28 (or comparable such as 400#'s triple 19 ) Add lime per soil test. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring and no fertilizer is necessary at that time.

I planted the PT/GFR/DER combination last summer. The deer pretty much ignored it until this past week or so. The greens have been eaten to the stems and they are working on the bulbs. This is the first time I have had any action in the brassicas in the three times I have planted it. I planted it this year mainly for the soil augmentation/allopathic properties thinking the deer would ignore it again. I don’t know what switch got flipped but something turned them on.

The other possibility could be I was checking my traps every evening until about three weeks ago. Perhaps I was stinkin the place up, but that wasn’t the case the past two times I planted them. So as Paul has posted, if you plant it they will eventually come.

Also, I haven't planted brassiacs in a couple of years. Perhaps there were other brassicas plots planted in the neighborhood that educated them.

Top Bottom