Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

mshm99
I've taken care of the over seeding problem ,with small seed, by reducing the size of the opening with a piece of card stock and tape. I can make the opening as small as a quarter inch square. You can really dial it in closely for those of us that use the hand spreaders
Great idea!

And yes pack after the drill.

I was thinking of using ours this year and taking the tubes off so it more or less just broadcasts and has good metering. I was going to reduce the seed box size so I did not have to fill with so much seed. Think someone on here had pictures of the like at one time.

Paul, I have an old but working condition McCormack 7" drill, which, when I calibrate it , plan to use. This was one of those you said you could get for a song. Anyway , the question is ,the only thing closing the furrow is some drag chains. Would it pay to cultipak after?

Sorry I missed your question but as Travis mentions I would cultipack before and after using a drill. Essentially the same as the Brillion seeder shown or my own GP drill....I pack first and then it has it's own packer wheels to finish the job.

Your drill should work just fine :way:

I had not thought of reducing the seed box. Great tip,thanks. I'll start looking for some ideas toward that end.

Mike

I am lucky enough to have some great acreage about a hundred miles from my primary home. But there are a few deer out behind the house in the burbs. I'm in a county township ,so I can pretty much shoot out the back door if I care to.So I'm going to try to apply some of what I've learned here to a small plot that I cleared for my rifle range about 15 years ago. It's more or less 20 yards wide and 125 yards long. I've tried off and on to get something going down there, but this year I got serious. I've got about 5 acres to play with,so this fall I'm going to try to get the brassica mix going. Phase 2 , when I retire early next year will be a lot of hinge cutting. But for now here is the start

I live pretty much in the middle of this. The wooded area is a large drainage, mature timber, with ag fields all around.

Capture20aa.png

I went to the local garden center and bought some ag lime. A bit pricey but the quarry is 20 miles away ,and this was on the way home.

P1070262.jpg

I'm big on making my own tools. Here is my lime spreader

P1070258.jpg

I decided to plant one of the trails leading to the plot

P1070264.jpg

I got 2500 pounds lime . I believe I have applied enough.

P1070271.jpg

Worked it in with my home made stiff shank plow

P1070275.jpg

Packed it seeded it and repacked with my modified home made roller packer.

P1070241.jpg

Finished product.

P1070248.jpg

P1070250.jpg

P1070297.jpg

P1070280.jpg

P1070280.jpg

August 4 heading up north to the Pike County place to plant.

Now I need some rain.

Mike

Last edited:
Now I need some rain.

Going from desperate to hopeless around here...just hit 106 and we have several more days of this to go....long summer...:rolleyes:

Nice work on the tools and plots! :way:

Love the homemade tools! I wish you success on your plantings, but from the pics I think you may have too much shade to really get a good crop going. I hope I am wrong, but that's how it looks to me. Can you hinge cut or girdle any trees along the perimeter of your planting area to get more sunlight to the ground?

? for you dbltree
Right now I am sitting on right at 400.00 dollars worth of brassica /rape seeds,to plant and I was so hoping to get them in the ground by now , but will this drought and little to no relieve in site for our area,, but we do have a chance of rains moving in the next few day's- but with our work schedules we do not have time to rework some of these food plot fields- was just going to go in and try and do some hand broadcasting in to fill some area's of the replanted bean's area's that are not doing so well , that and the corn as well, Should I even attempt broadcasting these brassic and rape seed''s in , right now with not being able to get to some of these area's to rework the ground? I have had good luck over the years with just broadcasting in similiar conditions, But , we did some trenching work last weekend and could not find any sign of ground moisture, trenching 3 ft deep.
In your honest opion , should I totally rule out any attempts planting brassica;s right now and just hold off go with later winter wheat planting ??
Value any imput you have, Thanks

The plot gets about 4.5 hours of sun a day. I don't have any unrealistic expectations and agree the sun light is lacking. I am going to go with spring oats and crimsom clover next spring and next fall WR and red,dutch and ladino ,with clover perminently in place.On a positive note,based on the past, clover seems to hang on longer in the summer in this plot because of the shade and the moisture in the surrounding duff. Hinge cutting will yield more light ,but it's in a creek bottom.It is what it is. I was itching to do something, since I already had the seed.You don't know unless you try. Either way I won't be disappointed.I'm having fun!:grin:

JJohnson planted his brassicas two weeks at the opportune time.

(received 1 " of rain)

I was out of town so could not get mine planted but knew if he was

planting his I could get mine to either grow or die like his. :grin:

I worked up the soil (like powder) this past weekend and decided to wait

until the next chance of rain. Looking at the forecast for NE Iowa I seen

I had a chance to get it in.

I drove 3 hours out of my way to get the seed from Welters and pick up

my cultipacker.

I finished last night at 10 oclock. I was woken up by a rumble of thunder

and steady rain coming down. I actually had to go outside to make sure it

was happening. I think we received 3/4" - 1". Perfect timing (real lucky).

Now to see if we get more. At least I tried.

Hopefully we all get more around the state.

Good luck on your food plot decisions. :way:

I got almost an acre of brassicas in this afternoon, praying for rain tomorrow night. Crossing my fingers and toes and doing my rain dance.

Brillion Seeder

Dbltree,

I always feel inadequate when I try to spread small seeds(rape, radish, clover ect..) by hand with the bag spreader. As you are aware, the wind never stops blowing in SD. Thinking about buying a smaller Brillion or equiv. to plant the smaller seeds. Have you used the brome box( add-on box) and planted your oats and rye with the Brillion also? They say it can be done but not optimal. I end up tilling to incorporate fertilizer anyway and getting out the big drill just doesn't make much sense for some of the smaller plots. Do you have another seeder in mind or would you buy a Brillion? Thanks!!

I got almost an acre of brassicas in this afternoon, praying for rain tomorrow night. Crossing my fingers and toes and doing my rain dance.

I watched yesterday as rain developed and went ahead and put in 1/2 acre. Got up during the night when I heard thunder. Didn't even get a tenth.

would you buy a Brillion?

the Brillion is probably the most economical seeder (compared to a drill) but a drill is more versatile. When using the Brillion we usually broadcast large seeds ahead of it (faster and get seeds in deeper) and then cover while planting the small seeds.

We did plant oats and clovers this spring and it worked fine, just doesn't hold a lot of seed is all. ;)

goatman said:
I watched yesterday as rain developed and went ahead and put in 1/2 acre. Got up during the night when I heard thunder. Didn't even get a tenth.

Same here. I finished planting brassicas on Wednesday night just as the thunder and lightening rolled in. We ended up only getting .09" then followed by a whopping .03" on Sunday.

July 30th, 2012

In 2011 we had a wet spring then not a drop of rain from June 26th to August 30th and on first time fields that had been in a corn/soybean rotation for decades...not a single brassica seed germinated. On fields that I had been planting a rye/red clover and brassica rotation for a number of years...the results were very different and seemed nothing short of amazing!

Tons of lush forage!

b6.jpg

Huge radish roots

b5.jpg

and giant turnips...

b1-1.jpg

that all started with tilling under a beautiful mass of winter rye and red clover...rich in organic matter and nutrients

Rot4.jpg

Now a number of people have asked...

How long can brassica seed lay in the soil and be ok?

The seed that did not germinate laid in the soil for 2 full months and germinated when we got a 2" rain so on that subject it can lay there in some cases til spring if the soils are extremely dry.

Now....here we are in 2012 and all of those fields that I planted rye and red clover were tilled under for brassicas. In some cases where rye was overseeded into soybeans, there was no red clover. We are right smack in the middle of one of the largest (by area) droughts since they have kept the Palmer Drought Index and it gets worse by the day

7-24-12DroughtMap.gif

and....to make matters worse there is no end in sight until at least October...

DroughtOutlook.gif

Discouraging yes, but....the results of brassicas following rye with no rain at all last year show what is possible and that leads us to this summer and comparing brassicas planted on fields with rye and no rye and noting the comparison between the two regarding germination.

Note...the following fields have had 2 light rains since planting, and will note that in each comparison.

This field was soybeans last year, over seeded with winter rye (cereal rye/field rye/fall rye grain...all the same) but I killed one small strip with tillage in the spring so i could test my new drill in both standing rye and tilled soil...the strip stands out like a sore thumb now as a "dry strip".... this field has had two rains , .500 on July 26th, .500 on July 29th (planted July 18th)

b1-6.jpg

All brassicas in the fields here were all planted the same, day, same way (with Great Plains drill), same fertilizer rates etc.) and the strip with no rye has also...no germination

b2-6.jpg

Where the rye was allowed to grow and left standing until tilled under to plant....the soil is moist and seeds are starting to germinate.

b3-5.jpg

b4-4.jpg

In field two...it received .200 on July 26th and .500 on July 29th and areas with heavy rye straw on surface have brassicas popping up

b6-3.jpg

Note that all of these fields I mowed/shredded the rye straw and clovers if any and then ran a cultimulcher over them so the rye straw is chopped and left primarily on the surface

b7-2.jpg

areas where there was little rye...have no germination

b8-2.jpg

areas where the straw is so heavy I wondered if seed could come up thru it...are definitely the best!

b9-2.jpg

Digging down a short way shows the thick mat of rye straw and plentiful moisture in and below it

b10-2.jpg

areas of poor clay subsoil as of yet do not have germination...they may, but thus far have not simply because of very low organic matter levels

b11-1.jpg

Field 3...Same as field one...two 1/2" rains 3 days apart and this field i shared pics of earlier, noting the great moisture where I tilled under the rye but complete lack of it where the oats were. This pic is of the area that will be rye this fall after mowing recently

b12-1.jpg

The parallel strip of brassicas that includes 1/2 tilled rye and half tilled oats

b13-1.jpg

Again...same story...great brassica germination in the rye

b14-1.jpg

probably the best of any fields i have looked at thus far

b15-1.jpg

but on the oat side...nothing, not a single seed has germinated..same field, same soil, same planting...only feet apart, only difference is no rye was grown there.

b16-1.jpg

The advantages of planting winter rye then should be clearly obvious and the videos and links shared in the cereal grain thread show the many outstanding benefits of growing winter rye and why farmers across the nation are utilizing this great cover crop to feed livestock and build soils at the same time...just as we can do with whitetails.

In every field on every farm you will see the same thing....strips of crops ...brassicas planted in mid July and oats and annual clovers that will be tilled under for the rye mix in late August.

b5-3.jpg

Rotating brassicas and the rye mix every year, in one central feeding area allows me to have year around food sources and never have a "dirt plot" that sends deer elsewhere. It also allows me to use tremendous tools like cereal rye, forage radish, red clover, winter peas, turnips and crimson clover....to provide build up soils that won't let me down during severe drought years like 2012.

All the fancy seed marketing hype goes out the window when their seeds won't grow or burn up and die...as for me, I'll stick with common seeds planted properly at the right time and in a rotation that keeps weeds, pests and disease at bay....

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 80-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Austrian Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre
Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

Thanks Paul. I would love to get things into a rotation but I'm can't get anything to grow yet. Looks like I'll be trying to put everything in the rye/red clover mix this Sept. Couldn't even get triticale to grow last fall. Some germinated in the spring though.

Feeling lucky

Got some of the brassica mix in planted last Tuesday and then got 2" of rain the next day with a couple of smaller followup showers this past weekend. After just a week of being in the ground, the plot is coming up very nicely. I feel very fortunate!

Weed control in Brassicas

Doubletree: I am sure the info is in this thread somewhere, but what are my options for post-emergence broadleaf or yellow stickers in my brassicas. I read the info about Dual Magnum for pre-emergence and select or clethodim for grasses, but am wondering what I can safely use post-emergence. Before we disked the plots all up a few weeks back they had some pigweed, lambsquarter, etc., but a lot of yellow flowered stickers that I think is Buffalo Bur. Now that I have the brassicas planted I am worried about the problem weeds coming back. Any thoughts? It has been extremely dry for us in south central SD/north central NE as it has for everyone else in the country. We are just coming off 2.35 inches of rain the past three days so I thought now or never. Thanks. :)

There is a post emerge herbicide called "Stinger" that will kill some (not all) broadleaves in brassicas. Keystone Pest Solutions handles it so ck their web site if you can't find it locally....:way:

Weeds in olot

SD - unless the weeds are taking over your plot I wouldn't worry about some weeds. Your plot doesn't have 2 be pretty to get the job done of feeding deer.

Top Bottom