Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

Planted 7 acres of brassica mix on Saturday, then 4 inches of rain on Sunday. Hope it wasn't too much rain, but definitely glad to get rain after getting plots in the ground.

DBLTREE,

Thanks for all your good information. We have been rotating from turnips to corn/soybeans along with our 10-20% in perennial clovers and or alfalfa. Since we were flooded out this year and unable to plant corn or soybeans in a timely manner I am planning on trying the cereal grain mix and not going back to corn and or soybeans (soybeans are virtually impossible to grow with our deer numbers anyways)...the question I had is why are you recommending radishes with the rye\pea\oat\clover mix. Since radishes and turnips are in the same family won't this keep the disease cycle going? also I was wondering why the what I would consider high rates of each product in the cereal grain combo? If you are blending all of these products together couldn't you decrease the rates? I have had such good success with your brassicas mix though that I don't doubt your advice but was questioning this on the cereal grain mix and thought I wanted to hear your reasoning?
Thanks again

10 hunter

I forgot to re- pack my seed this week end, I did get a about 1/4 rain the evening I sowed the seed hope I didn't mess up. I live to far a way to get there and re- pack , somebody say something make me feel better.

why are you recommending radishes with the rye\pea\oat\clover mix. Since radishes and turnips are in the same family won't this keep the disease cycle going

There is enough of a break in between that disease is not a problem. Forage radish break down and decompose rapidly during winter months and then the whole rye portion is red clover so there is nothing for pests/bacteria to feed on. Radish with rye is very thin as well and nothing like a typical brassica plot that is wall to wall brassicas. We have had zero disease problems with this rotation.

I forgot to re- pack my seed this week end, I did get a about 1/4 rain the evening I sowed the seed hope I didn't mess up. I live to far a way to get there and re- pack , somebody say something make me feel better.

Might require more rain to get good germination...

July 22nd, 2013

Planting for us is not as simple as it is for most as we have to travel and trailer equipment and fertilizer, so we till in fertilizer with a cultipacker trailing the tiller and then once that process is complete, we return with the drill and complete planting.

It's a two man operation for us and our Polaris Ranger serves as a 2nd tractor

P&K can be applied almost anytime but urea (nitrogen) is best applied at planting and must be tilled in immediately so tractor, tiller and packer follow right behind

Urea is also corrosive and hard on equipment so be sure and wash spreaders good and apply WD-40 when finished

Normally we are tilling under rye and red clover but this farm is new so we started with oats and annual clovers

The fertilizers are quickly tilled under and the cultipacker provides a good firm surface to plant into along with sealing in soil moisture

If broadcasting seed, cultipack, spread seed then re-cultipack to cover but the drill eliminates that extra operation for us.

This is the rotation that works well for us and allows to have the best crops...all in one field

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 50#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover an/or same of crimson clover and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot...I use 50# each rye, oats and peas along with radish and clover seed all plant in half of each feeding area

I use 50#'s each of the following:

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 50-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Frostmaster Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre

Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28 but for best results soil test and add only what is necessary.

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

/b]

Dbltree,

Is that a "Fimco" spreader? Do you have a spreader that you recommend or like? I'm looking to get something that I can use behind my 4-wheeler.

Thx.

Steve

Dbltree,

Is that a "Fimco" spreader? Do you have a spreader that you recommend or like? I'm looking to get something that I can use behind my 4-wheeler.

Thx.

Steve

Yes..great tool! Visit our equipment forum on Outreach Outdoors and then look in "Spreaders and seeders", page down til you see info on the Fimco.

Equipment for plotting

I have a link to a great source to order and they carry some parts as well..link posted in that thread.

Do you think that spreader would work for spreading lime as well?

Steve

You bet!! Keep in mind that we plant 100+ acres a year and use the Fimco to spread pellet lime, urea and P&K...already this summer we have applied 25,000#'s...more then the average landowner would apply in a lifetime! We have replaced a drive motor but again our Fimco has been used/abused commercially for several years and some things are bound to wear out.

If you flush it out good and coat with WD-40 it will last for years.

Ag lime BTW does not work well in any spreader although possible but pellet lime is a breeze!

Doubletree: It seems that every year we get some pigweed and some buffalo bur that shows up in our brassica plots. These 2 weeds are very common in our area of north central Nebraska. This year I have some of the Doubletree mix from Welters and also some brassica mix from Evolved Harvest. Can I use Treflan as a pre-emergent on my brassica plots? If so Does it need to be a certain Treflan or is it all the same? I also have a new clover plot with the IA/MO hybrid mix. Can I use the Treflan next Spring to control pre-emergently on this mix? What can I use to nuke the buffalo bur after it comes up in this clover mix? Thanks.

Getting ready to go throw down my 46-0-0/6-28-28, disk it in, pack, seed and then re-pack. This plot is 20 yards wide by 130 yards long......using the Brassica mix above. By my calculations, this plot is a little over 1/2....so mayb 3 pounds of the rape, turnip,radish mix?

Local c0-op was out of ground hog radish, so ordered it from Welter on Monday morning, it was on my door step in Ohio Wednesday morning.Thats service!

All done! Took about 6 hours to do the three plots by myself. My wife did roll the biggest plot for me while I moved equipment. But any way, I think they look great. I really hope I didn't over seed, I only put what I thought they needed and no more. When I was done I walked the plots and could see the Ground Hog Radish seeds spaced out every 10 inches or so..........so I think I did good. I'm a little concerned my roller may not have been heavy enough to push the Ground Hog Radish into the ground far enough. A lot of the bigger seeds I could still see on top of the soil but smashed in. Rain is forecasted 4 out of the next 10 days....so fingers crossed. Here are a few pictures from today.

The ground disked up really nice, little bit of grass in a few spot but all in all very good rich looking soil that was broke up real smooth. The drag also leveled things out real nice.

My wife rolling the biggest of the three plots and the final product. How does it look guys?

Day after planting had a all day steady rain. I have germination in all three plots. The largest, bottom plot gets more shade and is doing the best. No more rain forecasted until Saturday and Sunday. Thats a 6 day dry spell just after germination. The soil in the upper plots is really dry. Hope the seeds don't germinate and then dry out......can that happen in 6 days?

Seeds can germinate and die but after an all day rain that seems unlikely, remember that the rye rotation helps build organic matter and prevents problems like that from occurring.

We had the worst drought since 1956 last year yet all brassicas planted into rye straw were best...ever!

Starting to come up. LET IT RAIN!!!! Supposed to get a few good rains this week.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Stupid question... but this is the first time I've planted these... can you identify which is which from the pictures. I planted Groundhog Radishes, Purple Top Turnips and Dwarf Essex Rape.

Thanks!

Steve P if you go to the first page of this thread you will see all the pictures of what you have planted and they will be easy for you to identify..

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom