Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

Consider dividing your plot in half and trying both techniques and see what works best. Personally I would till unless rainfall was guaranteed.

picture.php
picture.php

Tried out my new (OLD) Brillion seeder SSpt-604 / 2 box :D , set on 3.5 best guess seem liked it was dead nuts on 10LBS for the Brassica Mix. My corn got crushed so I figured I would take advantage of the left over Nitrogen. I am going to try the grain mix with this seeder next month. Ill keep you guys posted on how it does. If any body has this seeder I would like to hear your settings for the mixes you use.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Sweet setup John!

Scott is trying some no--tiill brassicas by broadcasting seed into rye and rolling it flat

1/2" rain did the trick

We'll see how if does compared to conventional

Sweet setup John!

Scott is trying some no--tiill brassicas by broadcasting seed into rye and rolling it flat

1/2" rain did the trick

We'll see how if does compared to conventional

Interesting...and very timely! I was going to try almost the exact same thing this weekend in a little spot I have on my place.

Paul, assuming I broadcast the tiny brassica seed into standing rye first...do you think it would work better to:
1. Mow the rye and let the stubble/chaff fall wherever it goes.
OR
2. Roll it flat?

I was thinking of mowing it, but I could roll it too.

First time food plotter here. Have a question.....

So i killed off a small 1/4 acre, mostly weeds and grasses with roundup. It all dried up so we burned it off and it turned out nice. I disced it up a week and a half ago and was planning on spraying one more time before I fertilize and plant. My question is can I spray roundup and fertilize/plant the same day or should I wait? Just didn't know if the roundup will have an effect on the seed.

Thanks!

Sounds good. That's the plan, roundup if any weeds have came up then fertilize and drag it in with a harrow then plant and pack

First time food plotter here. Have a question.....

So i killed off a small 1/4 acre, mostly weeds and grasses with roundup. It all dried up so we burned it off and it turned out nice. I disced it up a week and a half ago and was planning on spraying one more time before I fertilize and plant. My question is can I spray roundup and fertilize/plant the same day or should I wait? Just didn't know if the roundup will have an effect on the seed.

Thanks!

You probably could have gotten away without burning it too. The spring has been the only time I have actually burned a plot bare.

Ya I probably could have, I just wanted to make it easier on myself when I went to disc it up. I don't have a tractor or heavy attachments. Just using a small atv disc.

Ya I probably could have, I just wanted to make it easier on myself when I went to disc it up. I don't have a tractor or heavy attachments. Just using a small atv disc.

Sucks not be a farmer doesn't it, LOL. I have to always line something up and it can be a headache at times.

Paul, the ground I hunt is in central MO just south of I-70. I called the local coop today to see about some brassica seed. Was thinking about trying to get some in this weekend. They told me they carry the seed I was looking for, but usually dont get it in until mid aug. They didn't recommend planting until late august or labor day. I know you say to plant them mid to late july. Not sure how much later in the year we would see a first killing frost compared to Iowa. Any thoughts? Always appreciate your advice.

More importantly, when is it going to rain?!?!? Going to get plots disced and Nitrogen in if the forecast would cooperate. Seed is ready and waiting to be broadcasted!

Just google the average frost date for your area and plant 60-90 days before your average first frost. You don't want brassicas to get to mature or they will rot. I planted some today and others last week.

Finished planting yesterday just in time for this nice rain, nearly a half inch so far. I no tilled a couple plots so we will see how they do.

I broadcast rape, GFR, and PTT onto mowed rye which had been sprayed with gly afterward. .7" of rain fell right after and nothing since. This is what my stand looks like. I have applied zero fertilizer yet, waiting to first see if I had a stand. Does anyone have the opinion this looks thick enough to proceed? I have leftover seed to thicken it up if/when another rain comes.

Attachments

• brass.jpg
    brass.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 321
  • brass1.jpg
    brass1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 335
  • brass2.jpg
    brass2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
Ragweed...

Have an old plot we're trying to revive and it is full of ragweed. We hit it with roundup 8 days ago and it is barely changing color. Should we hit it again with 24 D?

Top Bottom