Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Breakfast sausage

Iowa1

Well I got it right at last. First try was with a High Mountain seasonings breakfast suasage seasoning I got at gander mountain. I only used the amount recommended for 12 pounds of meat even thought I had 18 pounds of meat and it was so hot there is no way anyone in our family is going to eat it. We may try it in some biscuits and gravy or something but it is horribly hot. It's called "sage breakfast" but it is so hot that it hurts too bad to know what it tastes like. You would think they would tell you that on the box. Sucks that we are now trying to figure out how to use 18+ pounds of hot sausage.

Next time (today) I decided to try a package of Eastman's seasonings breakfast sausage mix that I also got at Gander. Today I had 12 pounds of trimmings and I added one package that says it is supposed to do 5 pounds. Kinda gun-shy after that last episode. I also added three pounds of bacon ends and pieces. Wow it turned out great. Next time I will go ahead and do the recommended amount.

So far we are four deer for six tags in MN and I have two Missouri tags I plan to use over the next three weeks. I am looking forward to making some more sausage!

Fresh, ground sausage= Cheap, easy, tasty, and versatile. The breakfast is great for omelletes, bisc and gravy, make to links or patties, etc... Try using some italian sausage seasoning mix- great to use with pasta recipes or for homemade pizza. Brat seasong mixes are great to make into brat patties. Sometimes you can buy these seasonig packs from your Hy-Vee or Fareway meat dept for a song. Gotta put a plug out for my uncle's business too right here in NE Iowa- www.curleyssausgekitchen.com everything they have is the bomb

I made my first batch of breakfast sausage last week. Bought Hy-Vee's seasoning mix that they use. $3.00 does 25 lbs of meat. I added 1 lb of fresh ground pork for every 3lbs of ground deer. Tastes great. Just like Jimmy Dean but less grease.

Last edited:
I made some a couple weeks agao with a recipe that a guty posteed on the Smoking meat forum. anyways I had mixed half deer and half pork for the meat. The recipe was made by weight not measure. 8 parts of salt (I used ounces) 2 parts black pepper and 1 part rubbed sage. You then use 1/2 ounce of the mix per pound of meat. I added this to a ounce of water per pound of meat befor mixing. It makes a very good sausage!

mark

A friend taught me to mix about 1/4 strength, cook a patty and taste it, then go from there. Works pretty well if you're trying a new brand of sausage mix.

It's called "sage breakfast" but it is so hot that it hurts too bad to know what it tastes like. You would think they would tell you that on the box. Sucks that we are now trying to figure out how to use 18+ pounds of hot sausage.

Too bad we aren't closer together, I'd trade you fresh venison for it. It can't be too spicy for me. I'll probably go buy some of that mix.

can't you just mix in some regular ground deer, or ground pork every time you use a package (pain in the butt, but not going to go to waste)

we just go to fareway meat counter, and get the same stuff they use

We made it all into patties so mixing in some other stuff would be a lot of work... it will not go to waste, I have some people I can give some to, and also we made biscuits and gravy out of it and that was really good.

Top Bottom