Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bringing him in

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
My Lab thunder is 6 years old and is a great dog. The only problem is that he has still not slowed down a bit. He still acts like a two year old!! I admit that a lot of it is my fault. He knows all the basics and he is trained to hunt. He is great in the field but I lacked on enforcing some obedience training. Come, sit, fetch, heel is about the extent of it. To put it bluntly, he is a Hunting Dog, not the best "Pet." But his Demeanor is great he is just a little excitable.

But here is my question, he has always been an outdoor dog, he has a run attached to the garage where he can get in and out. But I would like to bring him to my new house and he would have to be a indoor dog. He obviously is not house trained, and I am nervous about if this is even feasible. Also, is it too late to get him neutered? I had a friend tell me that that would be best if I was bringing him inside, is this even accurate?

Thanks,

From both thunder and I

16469_1316241224325_1179540027_30994405_5396418_n.jpg

I don't have any suggestions other than patience and be ready to clean up after him. As far as the nut cut, I'd start talking to some vets on if it's still OK to do that at his age. I'd assume it won't be a big deal for anyone other than Thunder.

Does he ever use the garage to go to the bathroom in?? Or does he only go outside in his run area?

We had an outside dog for the first three years and then I started bringing her inside and we never had a problem with her inside because she was comfortable going outside where she was used to it. So from the start she would let us know that she wanted outside because she had to go.

You may have no problem bringing him in since he is used to the difference between the garage and his run. Good luck

Last edited:
You can easily make a house dog out of ole Thunder. The potty training isn't too hard to do if you stay on top of it for several days in a row. That means asking Thunder if he needs to go potty; then taking him outside every couple of hours until he gets used to it. You might look into getting a large PetPorter for nights until he is house broke. If he still acts like a 2 year old; you might also watch to make sure he doesn't start chewing furniture, etc.

He only goes outside in his run. But we did go into my parents house last fall. And as I was talking to my parents I look behind them as He is lifting his leg on the new sofa... So I imagine it will take some work.

Had the same situation with my yellow lab.I didn't bring her inside until she was five years old. As soon as she was put inside she calmed down and turned into the greatest hunting dog I have ever owned. It didn't take her long to adjust to being potty trained, plus now I don't feel so bad about leaving her in a cage outside all the time.

You can get him cut at any age. A lot of people do it because they think it will calm the dog down but after the dog turns 1 all it's doing is preventing it from producing offspring. The one thing it may help with is him "marking" his territory in his new enviroment so you may want to really consider it.
As far as house breaking him if he is only use to going outside you should have little trouble. I've got a 10yr old lab that we have been letting in on the really cold nights (now every night). And she has actually woke me up a couple times just to go out and pee. Never a hint of house training with her.
No matter what good luck and as others have said it will change him being inside! :drink2:

As far as the cut... You can do it once they drop and any time after.

As far as the house training, I have seen multiple options.

One friend has the largest pet porter made, in the corner of the living room. At night or when their not home the dog is locked into the pet porter. When they are home they let her roam about the house.
Another friend doesnt allow thier adult lab out of the kitchen (hard wood floor) No carpet for that dog.
My father, the dog is allowed to be on 1 ezboy in the living room and thats it. Rest of the house is fair game aslong as someone is home. Otherwise he is outside in his kennel.

Pottytraining. Just do it like a puppy. The big thing is to make sure he is pee'd out before bringing him inside the first couple of times if he is REALLY excitable. Then like mentioned above, every couple hours kick him outside let him go to the bathroom and then right back in the house. Then he will get the idea, when I go out I go to the bathroom and I get to go back in. I bet it will be easier for an adult dog than a puppy.

Good luck.

Top Bottom